Poll: Tune Of The Month For July, 2015

Jim Besser

Poll: TOTM July 2015  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

...Bending the Ferret, written by Doug Eunson....

I'm a bit curious about the origin of the name here, since I've heard the concertina referred to as a/the "leather ferret", but I haven't heard or seen that name applied to other squeezeboxes. I see from Doug's Facebook page that he plays melodeon, but does he also play concertina?

Doug doesn't play concertina. He's a master of melodeon and hurdy gurdy and has a fine voice. Someone referred to his melodeon playing, possibly for Stone Monkey Rapper as Bending the Ferret so he wrote a tune to match. I played with him in The Ram Company and continue to do so in The a Derbyshire Volunteers. He also has an occasional ceilidh band called Bending the Ferret of which I am an occasional member.

Mitch

I'm a bit curious about the origin of the name here, since I've heard the concertina referred to as a/the "leather ferret", but I haven't heard or seen that name applied to other squeezeboxes. I see from Doug's Facebook page that he plays melodeon, but does he also play concertina?

Doug doesn't play concertina. He's a master of melodeon and hurdy gurdy and has a fine voice. Someone referred to his melodeon playing, possibly for Stone Monkey Rapper as Bending the Ferret so he wrote a tune to match. I played with him in The Ram Company and continue to do so in The a Derbyshire Volunteers. He also has an occasional ceilidh band called Bending the Ferret of which I am an occasional member.

Mitch

Cool. IT's a great tune. I learned it from a melodeon player from Toronto, where the tune is a regular at the local English session.

Mitch

Cool. IT's a great tune. I learned it from a melodeon player from Toronto, where the tune is a regular at the local English session.

Here's Doug with his wife Sarah on Fiddle and Ollie on soprano sax playing a medley contains Bending the Ferret.

https://youtu.be/zdv43UDLczg