Converting .MOV (Mac) video file to PC (wmv/flv etc)?

Kautilya

Canon cameras with HD video are producing .MOV files which can onlyt be handled in Apple Mac Quicktime. These will not upload into Windows Movie Maker (WMM etc) for video editing on a PC.

The .MOV needs to be converted first - any clever fellah got a suggestion please?

mni tks

I've had similar problems in the past. There are plenty of video converters available free for download on the web. Just Google video convertor.

Simon

Tks. But would be grateful to know which one you regularly use.

Unfortunately, like

http://www.iskysoft.com/thankyou/install-video-converter.html

you often get to the operating menu and you realise you have been tricked -- it turns out to be a demo which is NOT free as the rssult is deliberately watermarked and it is a trick to pull you in to pay.

I will certainly never use it and the sillybillies have not grasped that wasting half an hour of my time will ensure I tell everyone else not to use it! I dont mind donating sometimes but I hate being conned by the "free" trick

I am not at all happy about Canon being so stupid as to use only one format - why should I go out and buy a Mac!?

Likewise, every time my Epson printer tells me I am not using genuine Epson ink cartridges and forces me to hit continue to print, it makes me even more determined not to buy their's. It is why Brussels stopped these companies running their own monopolies

http://www.creators-not-consumers.co.uk/poluk/Ink_cartridge_scandal.htm

Canon cameras with HD video are producing .MOV files which can onlyt be handled in Apple Mac Quicktime. These will not upload into Windows Movie Maker (WMM etc) for video editing on a PC.

The .MOV needs to be converted first - any clever fellah got a suggestion please?

You can download QuickTime for PC. This will allow you to see your movies on your PC but will be no help if you want others with PCs (but not QuickTime) to see them.

why should I go out and buy a Mac!?

Lots of good reasons.

why should I go out and buy a Mac!?

Lots of good reasons.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the intent of the question in this context is more like, "Why should I be coerced into buying a Mac in order to use a non-Apple product (particularly when they don't inform you up front that this is the case). I have similar problems with the EU penalizing Microsoft over the issue of browser selection, yet ignoring the fact that at least some European banks' and even national tax authorities' web sites don't function except with MS Internet Explorer.

.mov files are QuickTime, which is not Mac-specific. The Windows version of QuickTime is free. No conversion is needed.

.flv is Flash, which is platform-independent but moribund.

.wmv is the World's Most Vile video format - at best it will work badly on Windows and rarely at all on anything else, as well as being far too big for its abysmal quality. Avoid.

.mp4 is pretty good all round.

An addendum to my earlier post. Up till now I used an older version of VLC media player. Triggered by this here thread I decided to download the latest version and, lo and behold, ran into a lot of trouble when trying to convert a .mov file. My ad hoc decision was to try another program, which seems to do what it should do - for now at least: 'Any Video Converter', http://download.cnet.com/Any-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10661456.html

An addendum to my earlier post. Up till now I used an older version of VLC media player. Triggered by this here thread I decided to download the latest version and, lo and behold, ran into a lot of trouble when trying to convert a .mov file. My ad hoc decision was to try another program, which seems to do what it should do - for now at least: 'Any Video Converter', http://download.cnet.com/Any-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10661456.html

Dank u wel meneer! Will try.

Yes, Mark - did the same thing! My computer whiz was shocked to see old VLC on ASUS EEEPC 1000H and immediately put new one on - mid Aug.

I had found the old VLC could not handle new HD files - visuals were jumping, tho sound ok.

new was awful and much worse so I have now deleted all VLC off system after trying several fresh installs.

I did not have the VLC (old version) problem with video files from Canon G7 and G9 video which shot at lower res.

It is the Canon G1X and the Canon 7D which would not work with new VLC. Their video files, are also so big that often the 'older' ( along with less powerful PC cannot keep up, hence jumping).

Edited by Kautilya

.mov files are QuickTime, which is not Mac-specific. The Windows version of QuickTime is free. No conversion is needed.

.flv is Flash, which is platform-independent but moribund.

.wmv is the World's Most Vile video format - at best it will work badly on Windows and rarely at all on anything else, as well as being far too big for its abysmal quality. Avoid.

.mp4 is pretty good all round.

QUICKTIME

JAck - I know there are many curses/ers on/about Windows Movie Maker, but it works simply enough to put stuff up on youtube, and that is what InsightandMind has got used to and only needs it for. not too worried about fade=ins etc etc. Just to cut out the crap so folk can listen and watch.

But it does not seem to accept Quicktime files if they are supposed to be common not Maconly- at least when you open WMM and try to drag stored video file across to upload area, nothing happens - does that mean it can handle them or not do you think?

This is why oneself is fully frustrated, failing to find a facet to fix files of your flying, fulsome, fluting forays from Whitby into fruition for freereed folk fully to feel flautist's fancy fingering on Youtube (phwoar, ran out of Fs!)

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my Nikon Coolpix. It created them in .MOV format, but Quicktime could play them. Now this Nikon Coolpix is meant mostly for still photographs, and these were recorded using its Video function. So the sound quality was lousy, so I had to treat the sound. I used Sound Forge*, which gave me the option to save the movie in different formats, including WMV. Now, unless you already have Sound Forge, then this will not help you , since it is more economical to get a new good camcorder then to buy Sound Forge.

*Which I used for the sound editing of the Andrew Blakeny-Edwards tracks that are on Disc 2 of the Anglo Concertina compilation.

This is why oneself is fully frustrated, failing to find a facet to fix files of your flying, fulsome, fluting forays from Whitby into fruition for freereed folk fully to feel flautist's fancy fingering on Youtube (phwoar, ran out of Fs!)

Forget everything else. Just download WinFF . If you are really computer literate download FFMpeg . Both FREE. Enough F's for you?

Forget everything else. Just download WinFF . If you are really computer literate download FFMpeg . Both FREE. Enough F's for you?

Off to the Battlestar Galactic library (on the fffooood restaurant level) to find that ffmpugging software and ffffffind ifffff I can fffffforce it to work.

tks Wes.

BTW under Mark's software (you see, I have forgotten the name already) there were several file name types to choose under such as with HD suffix but they seemed to require six or seven hours to convert a GB or two.

BTW under Mark's software (you see, I have forgotten the name already) there were several file name types to choose under such as with HD suffix but they seemed to require six or seven hours to convert a GB or two.

In all these bits of software you have options to convert video to the correct format for certain uses. So you can convert your video to something smaller for phones, or larger for viewing on a TV (eg HD format). Typically these take hours rather than minutes for bigger stuff.

Edit: Looking through Win movie Maker supported file list, I'd suggest you use Convert To: AVI and Preset: MS compatible AVI in WinFF.

Edited by wes williams

Off to the Battlestar Galactica library (on the fffooood restaurant level) to find that ffmpugging software and ffffffind ifffff I can fffffforce it to work.

tks Wes.

looking good. better quality - I can see it reduces file size quickly from say 200MB of HD TV quality video to perhaps 30MB of WMV, tho does not lose as much quality as previous edffort with "anyvideoconvertor"

Edited by Kautilya