Rules, Conventions, And Sharing C.net

... chances are you'd be doing 80-90 in the left lane. However, if the State Trooper with his Smokey the Bear hat suddenly appeared in your rear view mirror....

Context can make a difference.

Con-text: - a letter of recommendation from someone already in prison?

:unsure: :D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....if the State Trooper with his Smokey the Bear hat suddenly appeared in your rear view mirror bumpered up behind to clock you, you'd put on your turn signal and slow down to 72 in the middle lane, knowing full well that they don't usually stop people for going as much as 7 miles an hour over the speed limit.

Except of course that in the case of communities on the internet there is no legislature, no justice system, and no police or state troopers (except in cases which also breach national or international laws - and it won't take much research to see how hard it is for the authorities to deal even with these) - all there is is the concept of "acceptable behaviour".

Certainly the appropriate administrator can delete posts made by those that transgress "acceptable behaviour", or even delete their ID, but the "offender" can just create a new post or ID and start again. The only effective power forums such as these possess is for members to ostracize individuals that aren't considered to be acting in what is generally considered to be an acceptable way - effectively removing them from the community.

Going back to your analogy, as you say, even the State Troopers acknowledge the "generally accepted rule for behaviour" (by not stopping everybody exceeding 65 Mph). However those that repeatedly deviate excessively from "acceptable behaviour" (say by driving all the time at 150 Mph) are "removed" from the community of drivers, whether it be through banning or imprisonment.

- W

The people who are especially adept at breaking the norms are often those who are highly intelligent, and these are the ones who come up with novel ideas and new approaches to things.

"Smart people break rules" is not the same as "breaking rules is smart".

Among the rules that I believe it's not smart to break are the rules of logic.

...those that repeatedly deviate excessively from "acceptable behaviour" (say by driving all the time at 150 Mph) are "removed" from the community of drivers, whether it be through banning or imprisonment.

Or through high-speed crashes? :unsure: :o

Or through high-speed crashes? :unsure: :o

Aye lad. Often as not they take an innocent along with them to the afterlife. :ph34r:

This morning one such driver almost made road pizza outta me an' the bulldog...on my own little side street! There she went, fag in her chops an' yakin' on the cell phone.

Edited by Mark Evans

I received an interesting booklet in my post .called householders guide to major emergencies.This leaflet is extremely funny , although I am sure its not the intention. It doesnt tell me to whitewash the windows,but is along that line.page 16 is relevant to this topic.its titled how to cope emotionally.

[People react to emergiencies in different ways.Following an emergency,you may experience a range of physical and emotional reactions. You might feel shocked, afraid or anxious, you might experience feelings of horror , depression, anger and grief .THIS IS NORMAL ] These are the Irish governments words , and ........................

clearly they feel the need to shout to make their point.and they do it again five times, Tut Tut

Edited by Toireasa Breathnach

I received an interesting booklet in my post .called householders guide to major emergencies.This leaflet is extremely funny ...

Hmmm, no sign of anything amusing like that being delivered around here but, from what I can gather, that may have only been distributed around West Cork? :(

[... THIS IS NORMAL ] These are the Irish governments words , and ........................

clearly they feel the need to shout to make their point.and they do it again five times, Tut Tut

Ah, but they aren't using an internet forum! :)

[

[/ No here is a correction, it was published by the Cork and Kerry joint emergency planning group.

Ah, then you mean this one.

So the Irish Government wasn't SHOUTING after all. (Makes a change! :rolleyes: )

I live in Kerry not West Cork.

Isn't that only the other side of the Shannon from me then, whereabouts?

I know a woman in West Limerick who's a great player of Irish traditional music on the English concertina, an All Ireland Champion on it no less. If you met I'm sure she could show you a thing or two about how to play it. :)

You might have seen her on RTE, performing with her sisters on fiddle and harp?

I dont know who you are ...

Well don't they say that "A stranger is a friend you have not met yet", though sometimes friends can become strangers. :huh:

... but please dont call me a corcaigh.

Wouldn't dream of it! :D

Librarians and preachers follow the rules. Totalitarians ostracize people who deviate from obediance to conformity.
Well, that's quite a collection of sterotypes there! I personally am both a librarian and a musician...some sort of walking paradox, I guess.

And you're not the only one here Daniel; I'm a former Chartered Librarian (Associate of the Library Association), and still a regular user of the British Library, whilst another concertina-playing former librarian, and a member of this forum, created an important computer programme.

Librarians and Totalitarians eh! Hmmm, maybe I should have become a Secret Policeman instead? (I'd have had a Ball! :P )

Now where's my old "I was the mainstay of the Public Library until I discovered Smirnoff" poster? ;)

Edited by Stephen Chambers

... I am already getting lessons from Dick Miles

Oh, what a surprise! :blink: It seems like only a few days since you had just bought an English concertina (can't be too many of them in Co. Kerry?) and were looking for somebody to recommend you a tutor book.

But then I was busy at the Willie Clancy Week in the meantime; how time flies! :rolleyes:

... he is able to help me with song accompaniment, ornamentation and varied styles of playing, and I am very satisfied.

I don't doubt it, but it's always good to listen to other influences, especially when it is somebody as good as Madeleine O'Dowd, and she only lives on the borders of your neighbouring county. :)

Otherwise, I understand from Mudcat Cafe that you might be seeing Dick at Scarborough Seafest? In which case you will find other friendly C.netters there such as "Galley Wench" (Carol) and "annl", who I'm sure would love to meet you. :D