Limits on PMs

Hi,

Having recently attended a workshop I wanted to send a PM to the other 3 people. Well! I seem only to be able to send one a day, and I don't seem able to send to more than one person at a time. So it is taking me 3 days to say "hi, nice meeting you yesterday" Then, when someone replies I cant send to someone else as well for another day.

Is this something I can get round? Is it possible to loosen things up a bit?

All about the issues discussed here I guess

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...ic=9377&hl=

So, one spammer who was quickly removed has made it difficult for ordinary members to communicate? Isn't that a little overkill? Can a moderator reply to this? Did lots of members ask for this restriction? I only saw one enquiry as to whether it could be set up?
  • Like 1

you can send more than 3 a day...you just have to send one at a time and leave a small gap inbetween PM's. :)

Thanks LDT. How long is the gap? I get a report saying I can't send again until some date/ time (that seems to be several hours in the past) and then the next one gets blocked. Doesn't make it clear when I can post again.

• Downvote 1

So, one spammer who was quickly removed has made it difficult for ordinary members to communicate? Isn't that a little overkill? Can a moderator reply to this? Did lots of members ask for this restriction? I only saw one enquiry as to whether it could be set up?

Lots of ordinary members here are grateful for all the efforts of our moderators to make this forum possible, and think they're doing a great job. Please ask politely. :angry:

So, one spammer who was quickly removed has made it difficult for ordinary members to communicate?

Yes.

Isn't that a little overkill?

No.

Can a moderator reply to this?

In time yes, they probably will but they have busy lives too and this is a forum that's free for all, it costs you nothing (unless you wish to make a voluntary contribution as many here have) so show a little patience.

Did lots of members ask for this restriction? I only saw one enquiry as to whether it could be set up?

Probably not but in such a small community the concern of one member is taken into consideration, for which we are all grateful.

I'm sure I speak for the majority, if not all of the members here who welcome a new member to the concertina forum. This forum along with many others is under constant attack from spammers so please accept your inconvenience with good grace and realise that the protective measures help us all to enjoy the forum.

Welcome,

Pete

So, one spammer who was quickly removed has made it difficult for ordinary members to communicate?

Yes.

That's only one that got through. We don't see the ones that get stopped because of the restrictions.

Isn't that a little overkill?

No.

NO!!!

Can a moderator reply to this?

In time yes, they probably will but they have busy lives too and this is a forum that's free for all, it costs you nothing (unless you wish to make a voluntary contribution as many here have) so show a little patience.

They will probably answer soon. They really are very good.
Did lots of members ask for this restriction? I only saw one enquiry as to whether it could be set up?

Probably not but in such a small community the concern of one member is taken into consideration, for which we are all grateful.

Not counting the probably many PMs they get off the public forum or the few spam posts that got through and deleted. As far as I'm concerned, we are guests of Paul, and are here at his discretion. It's not "our" forum, and it's not a democracy to vote on rules. We can only ask.

I'm sure I speak for the majority, if not all of the members here who welcome a new member to the concertina forum. This forum along with many others is under constant attack from spammers so please accept your inconvenience with good grace and realise that the protective measures help us all to enjoy the forum.

Welcome,

Pete

Pete, I couldn't have said it better.

By the way, from the help file: http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...DE=01&HID=6

If allowed, you may also be able to enter in multiple names in the box provided, will need to add one username per line. You may also make this a BCC by clicking the box 'Hide CC recipients from others?'.

If the administrator allows, you may use BBCode and HTML in your personal message. If you choose to check the 'Add a copy of this message to you sent items folder' box, a copy of the message will be saved for you for later reference. If you tick the 'Track this message?' box, then the details of the message will be available in your 'Message Tracker' where you will be able to see if/when it has been read.

Finally, if enabled, you can also include attachments to your PMs, such as images or other files.

Ken, you're in here too; you make a fine sheriff, keeping order and such.

Thanks

Leo

you can send more than 3 a day...you just have to send one at a time and leave a small gap inbetween PM's. :)

Thanks LDT. How long is the gap? I get a report saying I can't send again until some date/ time (that seems to be several hours in the past) and then the next one gets blocked. Doesn't make it clear when I can post again.

usually 10-15mins..but I've not payed much attention.

Oh have you set up your time/date correctly? Coz that could explain why you are getting a 'past' time.

go to My controls> board settings

under 'your base time zone' click GMT London and underneath click the DST option.

Edited by LDT

Tallship and Leo have summed it up. It certainly was not one spammer, it was quite a few. Someone had found a new weakness in the software and word seems to travel quickly amongst the spammers. I will readily admit that this move is in part to limit the time Paul and I spend on latrine duty here cleaning up such stuff. We do not think it seriously hampers communication, but if you disagree, you are free to set up and run your own forum as you see fit. My guess is that you will quickly learn that you will only survive and foster communication if you have limitations such as these in place.

I seem to recall the time limitation was 5 minutes.

Enjoy the music, the concertina, and the company (albeit one at a time) here. That's what we're after.

Ken

Thanks everyone for their replies, especially the Monty Python reference!

LDT and all - I have checked my time settings. They are fine. I did a test message to myself and then tried again. It told me I could not post again until a time 4 hours 55 minutes ago and would not let me post again. But, when I tried 6 minutes later it was fine. So, I suspect the forum settings could be tweaked to correct the message to help others but I seem to have learned the trick now.

Thanks again.

R

Tallship and Leo have summed it up. It certainly was not one spammer, it was quite a few. Someone had found a new weakness in the software and word seems to travel quickly amongst the spammers. I will readily admit that this move is in part to limit the time Paul and I spend on latrine duty here cleaning up such stuff. We do not think it seriously hampers communication, but if you disagree, you are free to set up and run your own forum as you see fit. My guess is that you will quickly learn that you will only survive and foster communication if you have limitations such as these in place.

Enjoy the music, the concertina, and the company (albeit one at a time) here. That's what we're after.

Ken

Yes, that's it exactly... it's a CONSTANT battle against the spammers, scammers and hackers. The forums, and the PM system are not a mail system, so if you need to do any serious one-to-one or one-to-many communications, you need to use a proper email-based system.

Thanks for your understanding everyone.

Paul

Ken

A related subject in limitations, I recall there is also a time limit in emailing members through the forum and it's 15 minutes (for those that aren't marked private) for the same reason.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

Thanks everyone for their replies, especially the Monty Python reference!

LDT and all - I have checked my time settings. They are fine. I did a test message to myself and then tried again. It told me I could not post again until a time 4 hours 55 minutes ago and would not let me post again. But, when I tried 6 minutes later it was fine. So, I suspect the forum settings could be tweaked to correct the message to help others but I seem to have learned the trick now.

Thanks again.

R

I think it's just a matter of your timezone. I guess if you specify your correct timezone in the board's settings, it will display the correct time.

I remember having to wait a few minutes to send a PM, too. I'm not criticizing, but wouldn't one minute between privates be enough? Just for the sake of curiosity. Most spammers have bots that will send messages in batches, but one message every minute would still limit any bot greatly.

Yes, that's it exactly... it's a CONSTANT battle against the spammers, scammers and hackers. The forums, and the PM system are not a mail system, so if you need to do any serious one-to-one or one-to-many communications, you need to use a proper email-based system.

Thanks for your understanding everyone.

Paul

I have the same experience with running melodeon.net discussion forum. Just looked at the logs there and in the past 24 hours there were 20 attempts to log in by various forms of undesirables. That was a good day!

Lots of ordinary members here are grateful for all the efforts of our moderators to make this forum possible, and think they're doing a great job. Please ask politely. :angry:

Here Here.... or is it 'Hear Hear?' :D