The Salvation Army Tutor for the English Concertina

Ptarmigan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dick

I just spent the morning looking for a copy of this book with no luck. I even checked amazon.com in Germany, France and England with no luck.

Can you make a copy for me? I would be happy to pay for a copy and postage.

i believe 1935 publishing date puts it out of copywright so this would be legal. :lol:

Sincerley,

Pete McLaughlin

Morse Albion #677

Edited by Pete McLaughlin

Dick

I just spent the morning looking for a copy of this book with no luck. I even checked amazon.com in Germany, France and England with no luck.

i believe 1935 publishing date puts it out of copywright so this would be legal. :lol:

Sincerley,

Pete McLaughlin

Morse Albion #677

Even better would be scan into a PDF.

Ian

Pete & Ian,

Sorry Pete, but I don't have a photocopier.

This book has 56 pages & at 15 per page, I could do it in the local library but that'd end up costing you £8.40 plus postage. :(

Your idea Ian, of scanning it as a PDF so that I could post it all somewhere on the net, sounds like a very interesting idea, but I just wouldn't know where to start! :blink:

Can you explain in simple terms what that would involve?

If it's not too difficult, I'd be happy to try that & post it here or over at Concertina.com, so that anyone could access the information.

Cheers

Dick

Your idea Ian, of scanning it as a PDF so that I could post it all somewhere on the net, sounds like a very interesting idea, but I just wouldn't know where to start! :blink:

Can you explain in simple terms what that would involve?

If it's not too difficult, I'd be happy to try that & post it here or over at Concertina.com, so that anyone could access the information.

Cheers

Dick

Hi Dick

In the US there are services that will convert documents to digital for a price. A couple of years ago before scanners became common, I used the service to scan it as a GIF file on a disk. They've come a long way and will convert to your needs including PDF. It's been a while, but I think worth it. Here is one service that has a UK website: http://www.kinkos.co.uk/servicecenter/prod...b_item=listitem

Worth a look.

Thanks

Leo

Interesting Leo.

It looks like it might be a little bit expensive, but I've asked for an estimate anyway.

Cheers

Dick

You can only do it yourself if you have access to a scanner. Once it's scanned in the resulting document can be converted to PDF by using any suitable software, including ones freely available online.

Ian

Edited by Hereward

Interesting Leo.

It looks like it might be a little bit expensive, but I've asked for an estimate anyway.

Cheers

Dick

You can only do it yourself if you have a scnanner. Once it's scanned in the resulting document can be converted to PDF by using any suitable software, including ones freely available online.

Ian

An alternative would be to use the video capture of a camera used for videos. Look through the documentation to see if there is a still frame option. I'm pretty sure most do. That would get it into the computer, then use software like Ian mentioned to convert it to .pdf format. You would have to experiment to get the lighting and resolution you need.

Thanks

Leo

My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I think I saw a copy of this booklet when I was browsing in the Hobgoblin music shop in Leeds several months ago. Possibly worth a phone call to find out?

This tutor was available to purchase from Salvationist Supplies in London up to a few years ago.You could also visit their old Judd Street premises and purchase Anglo,English and Duet concertinas from the shelf.I think they stopped selling concertinas in the late 1970's.

This tutor was available to purchase from Salvationist Supplies in London up to a few years ago.You could also visit their old Judd Street premises and purchase Anglo,English and Duet concertinas from the shelf.I think they stopped selling concertinas in the late 1970's.

Interesting Mark.

That being the case there are bound to be a lot of them still out there.

Worth keeping an eye open at Car Boot Sales, I'd say.

Cheers

Dick

Okay, so matters of religion (and politics) should be kept off forums like this, but even if this book is legally out of copyright can I say don't forget the old Sally Army? (Particularly if you learn anything from their old book.)

You may not agree with (or you may strongly disagree with) their religious stance, but they do a great job of helping people who no-one else would want to help or to have anything to do with.

Their international website is at

http://www.salvationarmy.org

Tom

Dick

Sincerley,

Pete McLaughlin

Morse Albion #677

Even better would be scan into a PDF.

Ian

If anybody want a PDF of the Salvation Army Tutor for the Triumph (Crane) Concertina...

I posted a link in this forum recently... HERE

Edited by Michael Leitch-Devlin

I am confused Michael. You have posted the Crane Tutor but we are talking about an English Tutor and surely that is a different animal.

Ian

Edited because your post changed somehow whilst I was replying to it and now my reply is redundant.

Edited by Hereward

One way that lawyers (and their clients) get rich is through people who act on "I believe", instead of finding out for sure. I think this old post on precisely the same subject is worth reading.

My personal suggestion is that both the Salvation Army tutors (English and Triumph; does anyone know if the SA had an anglo tutor of the same vintage?) deserve to be posted in PDF form on concertina.com, but that it would be polite, diplomatic, and wise to obtain permission to do so from the Salvation Army. Or I think a better way to put in when contacting them would be that:

Since they are no longer available in print (and reprinting would not be cost effective), we would offer to make these Salvation Army publications available free of charge to their interested public.

Putting them up on concertina.com would, of course, be up to Robert Gaskins, but would certainly be consistent with the fact that several other tutors (though mainly earlier ones) are published there. And all credit to Chris Timson for the current availability of the SA Triumph (Crane) tutor on his Concertina FAQ web site, but I think he will agree that it makes sense to have it (also?) available with the other tutors at concertina.com.

My personal suggestion is that both the Salvation Army tutors (English and Triumph; does anyone know if the SA had an anglo tutor of the same vintage?) deserve to be posted in PDF form on concertina.com, but that it would be polite, diplomatic, and wise to obtain permission to do so from the Salvation Army. Or I think a better way to put in when contacting them would be that:

Since they are no longer available in print (and reprinting would not be cost effective), we would offer to make these Salvation Army publications available free of charge to their interested public.

Putting them up on concertina.com would, of course, be up to Robert Gaskins, but would certainly be consistent with the fact that several other tutors (though mainly earlier ones) are published there. And all credit to Chris Timson for the current availability of the SA Triumph (Crane) tutor on his Concertina FAQ web site, but I think he will agree that it makes sense to have it (also?) available with the other tutors at concertina.com.

I have tried contacting Robert Gaskins at concertina.com (more than once) asking whether he would like the Crane (Triumph) Tutor for his site.

However I have had absolutely no response from the contact email address on the site. So either he is not monitoring the emails or he isn't interested and can't be bothered to say so. :(

Edited by Michael Leitch-Devlin