Anyone Going To The North-east Squeeze-in?

OK - Inspired by David Barnert, I've come up with my C-Net Badge for the NE Squeeze-In. Being an English player, I had to have one on mine. If I were better at photoshop, I would have eliminated the background.

Now to get my limericks written for the contest ...

Jay

post-4-1095103443.jpg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've flown with my anglo a few times in the past couple of years but haven't had the experiences of another poster:

1) If they ask you what it is, call it an accordion or a squeezebox, but don't call it a concertina. The word "concertina" is on the list of banned items (it can mean "concertina wire," or coiled barbed wire, a weapon) and it will be confiscated.

I have replied "anglo concertina" and when they give me a puzzled look I say "squeezebox". I've never had a problem caused by saying "anglo concertina".

2) Do not place a concertina on the x-ray scanner on its side (so that the x-rays pass through the instrument from end to end). The resulting image, with its radially oriented levers and circumferentially arranged pads make it look like a known bomb construction and it will be confiscated.

I've always had to open the case, show the instrument and play it a bit ... last time I got up my courage and played part of a tune ... which the security guys thought was pretty cool although it didn't go over well with others in the security line. Maybe it was my playing! :(

The last time the security guy said "you wouldn't believe how wierd that looks on the X-ray machine" and proceeded to take the box to another machine to show me! He was fascinated by it.

Good luck to everyone with "flying boxes".

I always take a concertina with me wherever I travel. Otherwise I get "withdrawal symptoms." I play in my hotel room waiting for my wife to finish getting ready, or whenever I have a few spare moments. It has gone with me to Alaska, Hawaii, the Mediterranean, various locations in the US and, of course, Ireland and England. Sometimes the screeners ask to open the case, but not always. I would feel better if they always did. Since few people know what a concertina is, I am surprised that so many of them let a strange unrecognised object through security without futher scrutiny. ;)

Well, looks like the weather may be OK in NE for the weekend - forecasts have the rain from Ivan south of New England for the weekend! Good news, as I will be in a tent.

Hopefully the storm won't cause too many problems for people travelling up from the south. Best of luck to those who are down there!

Jay

Ken,sorry I have taken so long in replying to your posting but my wife is in decorating overdrive and my time is limited.

With regards to UK events there would be too many to list as they are so numerous.My suggestion re venues was really to let you know say what Sidmouth,Whitby,Broadstairs,Bradfield Etc was like.What the Royal and George sessions and venues are like, that type of thing.

Eva asked a similar question on this site and her interests and a few suggestions were made.I think if anyone is coming to the UK, if they let us know when they intend to arrive, we will do our best to inform them of events or publications where they can find the info.

If you would like a description of some of the events I am sure the UK gang will collectivly paint you the picture.

Al

Maybe I'll just have to come over and do a first person report! I'd like to meet a bunch of you folks as well (as we all would, I'm sure!).

Ken

Off to try the four Tedrows that appeared in a huge box a few hours ago, after a too long day at work!

Woooo-wooooo! And I've just surfaced from road testing a Wheatstone bass that just appeared in a huge box a few hours ago. Single action with bellows dumps. Monster chambers. Reeds that you measure in inches.... Man - what a sound! I just can't wait for that concertina band workshop!

Hi folks:

Maybe I missed it in the info sent for the Squeeze-In, but I was wondering if there was a suggested arrival/check-in/start of events time on Friday.

Anyone know???

Thanks and see y'all thar!

Perry Werner

Edited by Perry Werner

"Arrival and registration no earlier than 3 p.m."

And, if you're going to be later than 10:30 p.m. on Friday or not there until Saturday, let them know -- Button Box until 5 pm Thurs, after 3 pm on Friday call Bucksteep Manor instead.

Buffet dinner from 7-9 pm on Friday, says my schedule.

C.netters Group photo from the Squeeze-In. We're all having a great time here. Everyone say "Accordion" :o

From left to right

Front row: Michael Reed, lildogturpy, bellowbelle, Animaterra, Dave Barnert

Second row: Ken Coles, Jim Besser, Richard Morse, Perry Werner, Jay Lamsa

Third row: Kurt Braun, Doug Barr,

Picture right at the back: Doug , Bruce Boysen, Sean Minnie

post-4-1095539600.jpg

C.netters Group photo from the Squeeze-In. We're all having a great time here. Everyone say "Accordion" :o

From left to right

Front row: Michael Reed, lildogturpy, bellowbelle, Animaterra, Dave Barnert

Second row: Ken Coles, Jim Besser, Richard Morse, Perry Werner, Jay Lamsa

Third row: Kurt Braun, Doug Barr,

Picture right at the back: Doug , Bruce Boysen, Sean Minnie

What a great looking group! How did the concert go? I bailed out early and drove home while it was still light out. Saw the most beautiful sunset just as I crossed from NY back into Jersey.....must be a sign. It was great fun to see and hear everyone!

bruce boysen, the person in the photo wearing the green (Rivendell) cap.

Hi Again,

Was it just me or did anyone else notice A LOT of english concertina players this year? I should have counted them as it sure seemed like a lot. I didn't see any Maccann players, but I counted two Crane & two Hayden duet players.....were there more? There were a good number of anglo players too.

bruce boysen