Éigse Mrs Crotty, Kilrush , Co Clare 2004

If I'm jumping the gun I'm sorry to Mark, but these are the the best photographs of a folk festival I have seen in a long while. Mark must tell us all about it.

Éigse Mrs Crotty, Kilrush , Co Clare 2004

http://homepage.eircom.net/~shields/MrsCro.../NoelKenny1.htm

Edited by Peter Stephenson

Referring to previous threads, here we have clear evidence that I do resemble a"constipated ferret"when playing the concertina.A friend of mine always says I look as if I am cheweing a wasp when I play!Many thanks Peter for highlighting these pictures.I will try to return the compliment!!!

I would recommend a visit to the Mrs Crotty concertina weekend at least once in your life.It has become a "the"gathering place for concertina players,even those who do not necessarily play in the Irish style.The dates next year are the 18th to the 21st August(its a long weekend).

Quote Mark :-

<A friend of mine always says I look as if I am chewing a wasp when I play!>

Hi Mark

Sooner that than hear that it sounds like you are chewing a wasp..... :D

Cheers

Dave

PS I would love to see a picture of Harry Litherland playing. Now there is a real 'concertina face'. His normally cheery expression totally changes as his mouth inverts completely to form an upsidedown crescent. Any piccy's from BTMW??

D

A friend of mine always says I look as if I am chewing a wasp when I play!
Sooner that than hear that it sounds like you are chewing a wasp..... :D

I thought that was what his singing sounds like. :P

(DISCLAIMER: I've never heard Mark sing, so the above comment is completely unjustified, except that I found it difficult to resist such an obvious straight line. :) /Jim)

A minor correction to the caption of photo that the link above mentions - this is Noel playing my Shakespeare, rather than his Crabb, which was either going the rounds of other players in the session or being disected by Neil Wayne. The Crabb is a marvellous instrument in his hands, though it's condition was typical of many of the concertinas that appeared in the sessions - the hand straps appeared to be a mixture of baler twine and elastoplast - Noel steadfastly refused Mark's offer of replacement straps. Michael Tubridy's flute was in similar condition!

As well as being a great session player, Noel also did one of the concertina club solo spots, great playing accompanied by a lively sense of humour. I can only find one recording of him on the CD "Doublin" with Paddy Glackin and Paddy Keenan (TARACD2007), which is a pity - he deserves a wider audience. I only wish my minidisc had defied the alcoholic fingers manipulating it and actually recorded some of his set!

As Mark says, Eigse Mrs Crotty is a magnificent event for those fond of good and prolific concertina playing. In the rare times when a session wasn't underway, the sound system round the square belted out music and the whole atmosphere was friendly and welcoming.

On the subject of wasp chewing and the pain there from, I can speak from personal experience, having imbibed one with my pint of medicinal alcohol during the Sunday lunchtime session in Mrs Crotty's. The timely intervention of Lisa with some anti histamine tablets prevented my tongue growing to accommodate all the remaining airspace in mouth and throat, and allowed the intake of futher dark anaestehtic. I can therefore assure readers that whatever Mark is chewing, it's more likely to be a pie from the Royal than a wasp.

On the subject of wasp chewing and the pain there from, I can speak from personal experience, having imbibed one with my pint of medicinal alcohol during the Sunday lunchtime session in Mrs Crotty's.

Eh Up Bill,

all I can suggest is that you stick to 'common ale' and give up drinking 'stingo'

Regards

Dave