Glasgo Reel On A C/g Anglo?

I am a new concertina player and am mostly teaching myself with the help of various DVDs, CDs and tutorial books. I LOVE the tune "Glasgow Reel" (aka Tamlin) and though I have the sheet music for it, it seems pretty tricky on my C/G Anglo. Am I foolish to try to learn this???? Any suggestions???

Thanks,

Susan

It certainly can be played on the C/G though which key you play it in makes a difference. Looking back on my early efforts I would try something else first, something simpler. It is important not to blunt your attack on something difficult if your response is likely to be, "I'll never be any good at this..."

Cheers

Chris

Correction: I have two versions (?) of Tam Lin. The one I think you are referring too is more difficult and there are several places where you can find it on the internet. The 'easy' one (which I think is the prettier tune -- matter of taste, I guess) I also got from the internet but I've lost the link. I'm going to try to track it down because they are quite dissimilar.

is this the setting you are talking about? http://thesession.org/tunes/248/248 i can definitely play it, but i would say that it is very challenging. i'm with chris in this: this is definitely not a beginner tune. i'm definitely all for trying hard tunes, but i think that this one is particularly a doozy. it focuses on the low notes of the left, and the combination of low Bb and A is going to be hard to get up to speed.

a young student of mine asked for some help with it. she plays the fiddle. normally i can fake any tune the kids throw at me, but this one threw me for a loop. an 11 year old on the fiddle could manage it quite well, but i needed to go over it for a minute before i could help her with the tune. so, i would say this is definitely a woodshed or longterm piece. like i said, i find it doable, but it took more thought than i was expecting.

Yes, That is the one, David. I have decide to put it away for several years and work on some others. I have a pile that I want to learn and am trying to sort out the easiest ones first.

:rolleyes:

Maybe you just want to learn that reel for session playing and thus my advice won't fit... - otherwise you migth transpose it to A minor (or use a setting which is already in that key).

(I don't play the Anglo, so perhaps the reel exceeds its range then - but apart from that the choice of A minor should ease learning significantly)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Susan, try this link for Julia Delaney: http://thesession.org/tunes/589

I have the music for both Tam Lin tunes, the Scotch and the Irish (Galway) I can sent them to you as pdf files. I've transposed the Galway version to C and it's much easier with out the low A. I'll try on the pm. If I can't attach them there then I'll need a regular email address to send them on.

BlueJack

Yes, That is the one, David. I have decide to put it away for several years and work on some others. I have a pile that I want to learn and am trying to sort out the easiest ones first.

:rolleyes:

i would recommend working on that piece a little bit every week. maybe just work out the fingering for the first measure one week and then go back to other tunes. next week, try to work on the second measure, etc. after you've gotten the fingering worked out for every measure, then go back and start working on playing each measure (one a week) in time. then start putting it together.

i think it is all too easy to get caught up in the "all or nothing" approach to practicing. the incremental step-by-step method is much more effective, especially because you can have multiple project tunes going at once.

Thank you all for your great suggestions! With some tricky tunes...for example ones in which I can play the "A" part fine, but struggle with the "B" part, I will put it away for a while and when I come back to it, it's not so bad. I started working on Julia Delaney...love it.