Tune Of The Month For April: Waltz From Boda

Jim Besser

terribly sorry - my Provider apparently has a Problem resolving names - the files are on the Server correctly, but somehow the file names of the old and new Versions are too similar. Try this one:

http://www.ruediger-asche.de/tidbits/bv1_k11.mp3

Thanks you both for pointing it out and for your interest in the files!

I like it! Don't think that recording in two takes is cheating. Musically the result is the same and playing with others (even if the other is yourself) is just as important a skill as playing two parts at the same time.

There are plenty of very talented concertinists (contortionists) here. Don't put off posting until you're as good as them.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rüdiger, that's nicely played and set. Interesting start with descending bass notes!

Keep up untying the knots... :)

Thanks Wolf! The bass pattern is sort of a Jazzish thingie (sequence Em - Em7 - Em6 - Em colors an extended Em phrase; only I relocated the variation notes from the inner voice into the bass). Now I just wished I had a low B (H) below the lowest C on the left hand side so I could continue the downward run in the fourth measure! :-) Instead I could probably go back to the Em7 (ie start the fourth measure with a D bass again instead of the E). Need to try that one out!

Other than that - aside from the cheat, my own assessment is that the interpretation is technically reasonably clean (wish I could play it as well with both hands simultaneously - that's where knots#2 and 3 need to be defrayed) but sort of bloodless - needs more interpretation and life (knot #4).

@Robert - thanks as well! Of course you're absolutely right in that playing along is itself a valuable skill (which is something I failed to see during the 30+ years I spent/wasted as a hobby fingerstyle guitarist. Solo guitar leads itself to musical solitude - one of the reasons why I took up the concertina).

Rüdiger, that's nicely played and set. Interesting start with descending bass notes!

Keep up untying the knots... :)

Thanks Wolf! The bass pattern is sort of a Jazzish thingie (sequence Em - Em7 - Em6 - Em colors an extended Em phrase; only I relocated the variation notes from the inner voice into the bass). Now I just wished I had a low B (H) below the lowest C on the left hand side so I could continue the downward run in the fourth measure! :-) Instead I could probably go back to the Em7 (ie start the fourth measure with a D bass again instead of the E). Need to try that one out!

I had supposed your Crane was lacking of that low "B" because its choice is obvious - but IMO you could very well proceed with the "D" (which I'd prefer to the "E" of your current recording). Furthermore you might try to include the "C#" in the third or fourth measure. However, the "D" will probably make up the better solution, since the resulting chord could be interpreted as Gmaj6 as well whilst progressing to Gmaj, which would add an interesting ambiguity to the transition from the A-part to the B-part.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...