East Kent Concertina Players

dan_w

Hello,

East Kent Concertina Players (EKCP) is a group welcoming players of all concertina systems at any level of ability.

We meet between 1pm and 5pm on the second Sunday of the month at Blean Village Hall, near Canterbury, Kent, UK.

Our next session is on Sunday 9th October at 1pm. Please see the website for details (http://www.ekcp.uk).

We are trying out a new format for our meetings where activities include:

• Warm Up: Get those fingers going with a warm-up tune played together.
  • Party Pieces: A chance to play a solo tune or two. Demo any tune or song you have been learning.
  • Session: A slow session where we go around the room with each person choosing a tune, setting the pace and inviting the group to join in. Since we have a range of abilities it would be worth having some printed sheets for tunes to get us going. I'm happy to print music out in advance if anyone would like to send me their tune choice a few days before a meeting. (eastkentconcertinaplayers@gmail.com)
  • Playing By Ear: A short session (10 minutes) where one of the members will teach a tune to the group by ear. This involves slowly playing short phrases and building up to larger parts. We will have printed music as a back up to help.
  • Tea Break: Tea, Coffee, Biscuits and a chance to natter about all things concertina!

• EKCP Tune Book Part Playing: Here we take some of the EKCP tunes which are written with multiple parts and play together. For each tune we'll take turns to set the pace and lead/conduct the group.

Don't worry if you're feeling shy, everything is optional. We can provide printed music for most tunes played.

eastkentconcertinaplayers@gmail.com

Dan

Edited by dan_w

• 7 years later...

Thank's for your comment John. I'd be really interested in attend a weekend course for beginners. Especially if reasonably local say not a lot further than Maidstone. I see you are located in Gillingham, that's not too far for me for day events. I'd most appreciate heads-up if something develops.

Kind regards

Michael

12 minutes ago, inotrek said:

Thank's for your comment John. I'd be really interested in attend a weekend course for beginners. Especially if reasonably local say not a lot further than Maidstone. I see you are located in Gillingham, that's not too far for me for day events. I'd most appreciate heads-up if something develops.

Kind regards

Michael

I'm an English player, and the local playing group are all English players. We have nothing at all against anglos. It is just that none of us are anglo players, and therefore unable to offer any tuition on an anglo.

For a weekend course, there are not so many of these.

I would suggest looking at the West Country Concertina Players.  https://thewccp.org/

They run weekends at Halsway Manor in Spring and Autumn. The autumn event is primarily aimed at beginners.

Otherwise, check out next year's folk festivals, where you may find workshops running during the weekend or week of the festival.

https://www.ukfolkfestivals.co.uk/index.php

Hope this helps.

Edited by John Wild
edited for numerous typing errors!

I have contacted someone who had been a member

It was confirmed that East Kent Concertina Players club has closed. They were down to about 3 regular members, so it was not practical to continue.

Edited by John Wild
typing errors again!

16 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

Has someone used an old profile for this post? If from so long ago?Either accidentally or for fun?  🤔

Inotrek's post above speciically mentioned it was an old post from 2016, and then asked a question "Does anyone know if there's an Anglo tutor, or group for beginners in East Kent?"