Interesting Little One In Germany

Daniel Hersh

It reminded me at first glance of the Jones Miniture featured on the Mini Concertina site: the green leather and rosewood fretwork made me think for a half a moment it was a rare Jones' miniature, but then I read the rest of the comments and concluded it wasn't.

If you get a chance, check out the very cool little Jones miniature on the Mini-concertina site: if it had been one of those, I would have paid that much or more for it.

• 8 years later...

That looks like one of the semi-miniature Lachenals, which usually have initials in the fretwork like that. I think M & Co stands for John G. Murdoch & Co. Ltd., a firm which sold musical instruments wholesale and had a nation-wide chain of shops, for whom Lachenal's built "The Peerless" concertinas.

Other examples of this model have the initials L & Co = Lachenal & Co. in the same location, like this one:

MVC_023F.jpg

Or B S & S = Barnett Samuel & Sons (out of which later grew the Decca Record Co. Ltd.):

MVC_014F.jpg

Edited to add photos.

Stephen,

Many thanks for posting the photo of this lovely semi-miniature Lachenal.........could I ask you the favour of posting a photo of the left-hand end of the instrument? Does it also have the L & Co logo on it?

Many thanks,

Neil