Very sad news

I haven't been on C-net for awhile, but I just got this email from my dear friend Carol Compton who works at CDSS:

"For those who had any reason to know Rich Morse, builder of concertinas, owner of The Button Box - he had been recently diagnosed with quite advanced cancer and died last night - at home. Another tough loss for the morris community."

I am surprised to see nothing here, and I don't have regular access to internet these days, but I wanted to come straight to this fine community and share my sadness at the loss of a wonderful man.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is beyond awful :(. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. His support for the concertina community was wonderful. I hope at least the Button Box will survive and that they will be able to continue to produce and develop the Morse Concertinas. That would be a wonderful legacy to leave behind.

--

Bill

I haven't been on C-net for awhile, but I just got this email from my dear friend Carol Compton who works at CDSS:

"For those who had any reason to know Rich Morse, builder of concertinas, owner of The Button Box - he had been recently diagnosed with quite advanced cancer and died last night - at home. Another tough loss for the morris community."

I am surprised to see nothing here, and I don't have regular access to internet these days, but I wanted to come straight to this fine community and share my sadness at the loss of a wonderful man.

Devastated! I jsut got an email from Doug of the B. Box a few minutes ago, that Rich passed away last nite.

RIch was a friend. We met on the Internet when he saw my ragtime Web site -- he composed and played piano rags, as do I.

I stayed at his home several itmes. He showed me his work on concertina designs, including a lot fo technical details. We talked music, architecture, and all sorts of things.

Rich got me into concertinas in the first place -- by asking me to arrange the orchestra tune for NESI 2004. I love my squeezeboxes, and I owe it all to Rich.

I'll really miss him.

And to be selfish, I'll miss the Hayden Duet he was designing.

A gloomy day for the concertina community.

--Mike K.

... It's really a shock. Rich has been so helpful in the past few months with a few questions/problems I had, he even tried to convince me to go to the NE squeezebox event... and now this? He will definitely be greatly missed.

I am shocked and truly saddened to hear that Richard Morse has passed away , although I had never meet him we had exchanged emails recently and he was more than helpful, his enthusiasm certainly inspired me , a great fellow who will be missed greatly by many .

My thoughts and condolences go out to all his family and friends who knew him.

Mike

Really sad news. I only knew him through this site & a few PMs we exchanged but I always had great respect for his knowledge and enthusiasm. He always seemed a really nice guy & I'll miss him.

So sad and distressing for being so unexpected. I am having a trip to the US in May and was hoping to meet Richard at the Button Box while over there. a great loss indeed. My condolences to the family, and all those who worked with him.

- John Wild

I heard he was sick last week and was trying to get more information.

I don't know what to add to what's been said. I met Rich at several squeeze ins and other events in the region. He was a bulwark of our offbeat little community. His contributions to C.net were always interesting, informative and on topic. His shop was a friendly mecca.

It's an understatement to say he will be missed.

Edited to add: read Rich's profile here at c.net. An amazing guy

Edited by Jim Besser

I never met Richard Morse, but I feel today as if a little piece of concertina-me is gone. Certainly one of my goals as a Hayden player was to attend one of the Northeast events and swap tunes and technique with Rich. His contributions to our community can hardly be overstated, including his always knowledgeable and courteous contributions to this forum.

It would be kind of nice if we could have something like a best of his posts here on C.net. He passed on a lot of wisdom in the years he was on this forum and it might be nice if people new to C-net could have an opportunity to learn from them.

--

Bill

I just received an email about this sad news. Rich Morse was always patient and helpful, free with his knowledge and thorough in his explanations. One of the renowned hybrid designers and builders, his depth of knowledge and experience along with his sage advice will be sadly missed.

Pete.