• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Fourest

Fourest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

I have recently purchased a George Jones English, however it has lost it's (baffles and) plaque. I am looking to replace the lost oval. The concertina dates to 1902, so something before then would be best, but others considered as well.

Dave

#2 Myrtle's cook

Myrtle's cook

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

Hi Fourest

Firstly welcome to Cnet, ...and congratulations on your purchase. I too have a Jones English (amongst others - a later one with metal ends) - good concertinas and sometimes underrated!

Whilst not wishing to deprive any label owners of a sale, you could always download and print one of the label images from the Concertina Museum collection. here's a good one (and by flicking through the other instruments there are of course others): http://concertinamus...com/CM00332.htm

Good luck and enjoy the concertina (and Cnet).

Kind regards

#3 Fourest

Fourest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

I did think of doing that, I guess it's more of keeping it... Original.

Edited by Fourest, 24 January 2017 - 07:03 PM.

#4 CrP

CrP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:40 AM

For what it's worth, I have ordered small engraved brass-colored (actually aluminium) plaques for insertion into the fretwork behind the ovals on a couple of my Jones concertinas. It took some careful measuring and some thought about what typeface looked good, but I wound up with something that's (I think) tasteful (black lettering on brass-colored background), albeit not authentic.

There's probably a place in your vicinity that makes plaques for trophies, presentation pieces, cases & boxes or the like that will do the job for $20-30.

#5 VIN

VIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:46 AM

I found down loading and printing to be fine and also really easy to re size, I printed several of varying size and then laminated them (which adds a little rigidity) before cutting them out leaving enough of the laminating material around the edge to apply the glue which It does without staining the paper, I think they actualy look better printed one off white paper but that's just my opinion, good luck

#6 David Aumann

David Aumann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:45 AM

There was a similar post three or four years ago which culminated in a scanned image of a Jones label. Check this:

http://www.concertin...showtopic=15501

You might have to "distress" it a little ...

#7 Fourest

Fourest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:23 AM

( Edited below, not sure how to delete posts! )

Dave

Edited by Fourest, 25 January 2017 - 07:10 PM.

#8 Fourest

Fourest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

For what it's worth, I have ordered small engraved brass-colored (actually aluminium) plaques for insertion into the fretwork behind the ovals on a couple of my Jones concertinas. It took some careful measuring and some thought about what typeface looked good, but I wound up with something that's (I think) tasteful (black lettering on brass-colored background), albeit not authentic.

There's probably a place in your vicinity that makes plaques for trophies, presentation pieces, cases & boxes or the like that will do the job for $20-30.

Hmm... The metal reproduction seems interesting. Do you have any photos of the finished product? I'll keep it in mind! Thanks guys!

Dave

Edited by Fourest, 25 January 2017 - 07:04 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wanted, George, Jones, Plaque

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users