Newbie Wants To Start With - Take Me Out To The Ballgame

darticus

If you search on the title of a tune and then ask for images you will often find images of the score.

"Take me out to the Ball Game" returns several images of scores.

Some sites will try to sell you a copy but older out of copyright tunes are usually available for free.

If you search on the title of a tune and then ask for images you will often find images of the score.

"Take me out to the Ball Game" returns several images of scores.

Some sites will try to sell you a copy but older out of copyright tunes are usually available for free.

Thanks for your help. Ron

That particular tune has one awkward note for a 20 button. I assume you have a C/g instrument. If you play the tune in the key of C, the main tune starts on C. Everything works except for the 2nd note in the ninth measure (2nd line of the song) There you need a G# and you just don't have it. in the last line there an F# needed, but you can get that from the g row. If you try it in other keys, you run into more missing notes. I tried the same tune some time ago and ran into the same thing.

There are ways to deal with this. One is simply to ignore the problem and play the wrong note! sounds silly I know, but pipers sometimes resort to this, for the same reason.

Another (better) option If you are planning to play as an accompaniment to singing, is not to play the melody line, but play available notes from the applicable chords,

And of course you can try a different tune. Music hall and show tunes like this sometimes have jazzy bits that can be a struggle on a 20 button, but there are a wealth of folk melodies that fit beautifully. If you want something so familiar that you can sound it out by ear, try Christmas carols. Out of season at the moment, of course though, whereas baseball is about to start.

Ted - you are absolutely right. Ron, there are better choices for your first tune, but if you like that sort of thing, try...

Home on the Range.

It's also a well known waltz and a beautiful tune worth aspiring to. Works a treat on the 20 button C/G Anglo if you play it in C. If you just play the melody it only uses four buttons but as you add harmony, there is a richness in this tune and a depth that you could spend years exploring.

An added plus is that if you play it very slowly and with great sensitivity, the wolves will start to howl.