5 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Pierceall

Mike Pierceall

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:31 AM

"I Think When I Read that Sweet Story of Old"  A number of versions of this hymn tune have appeared over the years.  My rendition is based on William Batchelder Bradbury's version from the 1850s.  Played on a Wheatstone Aeola here:

#2 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:55 AM

Nice harmonium sound!

#3 Steve Wilson

Steve Wilson

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:06 PM

Nice one, enjoyed.  You're playing lots of chords Mike and so working the bellows a lot.  How do you rate the air economy on your Aeola, albeit with only five fold bellows.  I have an Edeophone, six fold, and I find air economy very poor compared with my Wakker concer.

#4 Mike Pierceall

Mike Pierceall

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

Nice one, enjoyed.  You're playing lots of chords Mike and so working the bellows a lot.  How do you rate the air economy on your Aeola, albeit with only five fold bellows.  I have an Edeophone, six fold, and I find air economy very poor compared with my Wakker concer.

Thanks, Steve.  There are a lot of 4-note chords as well as a low F drone through much of that piece, but I found the 5-fold bellows just fine.  I replaced the pads and valves during the refurbishment so the instrument is very efficient in general.

#5 Bob Michel

Bob Michel

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:53 PM

I've really enjoyed these last few posts, Michael; the Aeola sounds fantastic, the rich harmonies you've worked out are marvelous, and hearing music so different from the kind of spare, melody-line kind of stuff I mostly play (albeit on Anglo) makes me itch to expand my palette a little. These bear repeated listening! Thanks.

Bob Michel
Near Philly

#6 Daniel Hersh

Daniel Hersh

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2144 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:19 AM

Really nice - thanks for posting!  I like your combination of drones and harmonies.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Aeola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users