Paul Hardy's Sessions Tunebook

Pete Dunk

At a meeting of the East Kent Concertina Players last month I spotted quite a good tunebook which I was told was downloaded free from the net. When I looked it up I realised I'd seen the site before but hadn't noticed this generous freebie. I've searched concertina.net and can't find any previous references to this (although I've probably messed up the search again!) so here's a link to a tunebook with some 240 tunes.

Paul Hardy's Sessions Tunebook. Enjoy!

At a meeting of the East Kent Concertina Players last month I spotted quite a good tunebook which I was told was downloaded free from the net. When I looked it up I realised I'd seen the site before but hadn't noticed this generous freebie. I've searched concertina.net and can't find any previous references to this (although I've probably messed up the search again!) so here's a link to a tunebook with some 240 tunes.

Paul Hardy's Sessions Tunebook. Enjoy!

"quite a good tunebook" has to be the understatement of the year.

Cheers!

Brilliant! This should keep me busy for quite a while. Thanks for sharing this.

When looking for music for tunes I want to learn I tend to try thesession.org initially. I am currently learning 'The Northern Lass', and when I found nothing in the usual places I went back to google and found the following - Richard Robinson's tunebook http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/Info/RRTuneBk/tunebook.html This may already be well known (?), but thought I'd share it anyway.

By the way, I do not have the chords to 'The Northern Lass' yet, so if anyone can point me in the right direction..... In the meantime, I'm having fun working it out for myself.

Cheers,

Rich.

........................another good thing about this site is they all the tunes are chorded;sometimes helpful.Not all tune sites are.

Robin

On the other hand, there is something to be said for not putting chords in - having seen guitarists having lengthy discussions over chords, and (on a separate occasion) for a melodeon player to pooh pooh a guitarists chords :P

Let them sort their own chords out I say ;)

Geoff

and (on a separate occasion) for a melodeon player to pooh pooh a guitarists chords :P Geoff

Well now, speaking as a guitarist of many years standing (please don't confuse that statement with any degree of talent and/or ability) and not really knowing a melodeon from a pile of firewood ( ;) ), I would have thought that diatonic instruments without an extra row of useful accidentals were quite limited chord wise.

I'll get me coat. *runs off laughing like a loon*

Edited to remove non pc remark!

Edited by tallship

and (on a separate occasion) for a melodeon player to pooh pooh a guitarists chords :P Geoff

Well now, speaking as a guitarist of many years standing (please don't confuse that statement with any degree of talent and/or ability) and not really knowing a melodeon from a pile of firewood ( ;) ), I would have thought that diatonic instruments without an extra row of useful accidentals were quite limited chord wise.

I know just what you mean, having tried one myself for a short time. OTOH, I attended Julian Sutton's Melodeon class at the Sage for a while, and it was a real eye opener just how creative you could be with just 8 buttons on the left hand. Said Melodeon player was also in Julian's melodeon class.

Then I discovered the Anglo concertina and I like the Irish approach to playing same - no chords :lol:

Geoff

I would have thought that diatonic instruments without an extra row of useful accidentals were quite limited chord wise.

As Tootler says,surprisingly not true.

I've got a 3 row diatonic melodeon (ADG)and in a tune like Bear Dance with no accidentals I can do a quite interesting run............."A" part Em D C Bm Bm A G F#m Em D Em

"B" part Em D Em D Bm A G F#m Em D Em

The third row gives you the F#m but again some people can do amazing stuff with what one would think is a limited selection of chords.

.........dust off your guitar and try it or even on the anglo !

Robin

I would have thought that diatonic instruments without an extra row of useful accidentals were quite limited chord wise.

As Tootler says,surprisingly not true.

I've got a 3 row diatonic melodeon (ADG)and in a tune like Bear Dance with no accidentals I can do a quite interesting run............."A" part Em D C Bm Bm A G F#m Em D Em

"B" part Em D Em D Bm A G F#m Em D Em

The third row gives you the F#m but again some people can do amazing stuff with what one would think is a limited selection of chords.

On a two row D/G with 8 Bass buttons you can almost play a scale of G. Just the F# is missing, which gives interesting possibilities for bass runs as well.

Geoff

• 1 year later...

Paul Hardy's Session Tunebook. Enjoy!

As the eponymous Paul Hardy, thanks for the writeup! I'm a rather intermittent attendee to these forums (fora?).

I've recently manged to get the tunebook into a PDF form that Lulu.com will accept it, so you can now buy printed copies from http://www.lulu.com/content/5899085, who will ship to most countries in the world, and actually print on-demand in several locations to keep the cost down. It's still available for download from my web site at www.pghardy.net though, if you have access to a decent printer, and I find that having the abc as well as the score helps me learn tunes easier.

I've also decided to only change the main tunebook once a year, so there is now an 'Annex Tunebook' as a suplement (and a 'Possible Tunebook').

As always, corrections gratefully received - particularly any comments on the chords, which are often based on what abcmus thinks (which isn't always sane) - I try and make them work, but I'm not a chord-instrument guru.

I don't want to keep adding lots of tunes to it, but if there is a concensus that some particularly common session tunes are missing, I'm happy to try and add them (assuming that I can play them myself!).

Regards,

Paul.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Dear concertina.net folk,

In the unlikely circumstance that anyone was thinking of buying a nicely printed and bound copy of Paul Hardy's Session tunebook in the near future, Lulu.com has an offer of a 15% discount on the shiny new 2010 version at http://www.lulu.com/...il_BEACHREAD305 - enter discount code BEACHREAD305 at checkout. Valid to 15 August I believe. Feel free to pass on to anyone you feel might be interested.

The pdf version and abc music remain free for download from my website (http://www.pghardy.n...tina/tunebooks/) .

Regards,

--

Paul Hardy

Email: paul@paulhardy.net, web: www.paulhardy.net

• 2 weeks later...