Angela's Waltz

Here is the link to Angela's Waltz, the second of my recent compositions. Again, I am accompanied by Ralph Jordan on bouzouki. I hope you enjoy it.

Chris

Just for accuracy...I'm playing Guitar and Bass as well as the Bouzouki!

Don't think I damaged the tune too much though!

Ralphie

Here is the link to Angela's Waltz, the second of my recent compositions. Again, I am accompanied by Ralph Jordan on bouzouki. I hope you enjoy it.

Chris

Just for accuracy...I'm playing Guitar and Bass as well as the Bouzouki!

Don't think I damaged the tune too much though!

Ralphie

Well, I didn't want to give too many secrets away, Ralphie! I thought I'd leave it to other people to "guess"!

Chris

Well Chris, another really nice piece of music.

When I get past The Vicar of Bray, in the Butler book I'll give it a go.

Roger

Nice. Inventing your own music can be so much more fun than playing other peoples.......I reckon !

Rod, I think you are right it would be good to invent your own music, especialy music like Chris has done.

By your dig at me, I must assume you learn't to play your concertina by inventing your own music !!!!

or did you learn by playing someone else's music.???

I assumed Chris would not mind other people playing ( in my case trying to play ) his music as he has posted up the score on this site.

If this is incorrect I would not like to offend Chris or any other person with playing their music, and would not do so.

Roger

I assumed Chris would not mind other people playing ( in my case trying to play ) his music as he has posted up the score on this site.

If this is incorrect I would not like to offend Chris or any other person with playing their music, and would not do so.

Roger

Anyone is welcome to play either of my two recent compositions, if they feel so inclined. I would be honoured. If you were to make a "professional" recording of the tune, however, I wouldn't mind a credit and a share in the royalties!

Chris

Rod, I think you are right it would be good to invent your own music, especialy music like Chris has done.

By your dig at me, I must assume you learn't to play your concertina by inventing your own music !!!!

or did you learn by playing someone else's music.???

Roger

Roger, You misinterpret my remark. There was no intention to 'have a dig' at you or anyone else. It was just an innocent observation triggered by what had gone before, and intended to encourage Chris and Ralphie. Rod

Chris

Nice one Chris. is that on the Edeophone or the Aeola?

Chris

Nice one Chris. is that on the Edeophone or the Aeola?

Thanks, John. It's played on my metal-ended treble Edeophone. My tentreb Aeola is being overhauled by Colin at the moment. :)

Chris

• 3 months later...

Chris

A nice tune. The 'A' part sounds very close to the tune I know as 'The Perfect Cure', which is in 6/8 time.

Chris

A nice tune. The 'A' part sounds very close to the tune I know as 'The Perfect Cure', which is in 6/8 time.

It never occured to me before but when I hum the A part of The Perfect Cure, I can see why you can see similarities between the A parts of the two tunes, Michael. The Perfect Cure certainly wasn't in my head when I set about composing Angela's Waltz and you are the first person to mention the similarities. :)

Chris

There is always this problem when you write tunes and is why I post mine here.After playing them through a few times they start to sound so familiar that you wonder why nobody's thought of it before.It is one of the benefits of playing for years to recognise that part, or all of what you are writing is a revamped version of what you have written before, or pinched from another tune. It is not the point to give up, but a slight change of direction.

Al

There is always this problem when you write tunes and is why I post mine here.After playing them through a few times they start to sound so familiar that you wonder why nobody's thought of it before.It is one of the benefits of playing for years to recognise that part, or all of what you are writing is a revamped version of what you have written before, or pinched from another tune. It is not the point to give up, but a slight change of direction.

Al

Another interesting example might be Ashokan Farewell (1982ish it seems )- when I first heard it after it popped up as a tune for practising last year I thought: I sang something like that as a treble in the late 1950s -- you see I thought I was listening to "Wild Mountain Thyme - will ge go lassie go", also known as Purple Heather. Said to be composed by McPeake of Belfast in 1957. BUT The lyrics go back it seems to a centuries old poem (http://www.mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=891)

The tune that I know, seems in part shadowed and perhaps partly reversed in Ashokan Farewell).

Who write what where and when for WMTh is discussed in the notes to this youtube.....but everone from Rod Stewart to Van Morrison has sung it sometime somewhere so it may be in peoples' cultural makeup :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (nature vs nurture debate :ph34r: :ph34r: )

Edited by Kautilya