Silent Download Of Unwanted Software

I put this here because I couldn't see a forum for dealing with stuff like this.

I just found an (unwanted) audio file converter on my machine. Switch Converter, or some name like that.

This was silently installed on my machine some time in January.

There was also a separate list of 'shortcuts' to programs marketed by this outfit. I have deleted/uninstalled both.

Just a warning that folks may have software from this outfit on their machines without their knowledge.

Look for 'Switch' and/or 'NCH Software' to uninstall/delete.

Roger

Actually, being a professional SW developer, I'm VERY peculiar with Software. I normally prefer commercial products over Open Source/PD and install SW only after a long and soul-searching process of weighing pros and cons bla bla.

I write this because the Switch converter is one of the few "free" (there is no such thing as free anything) products I chose to install instead of commercial products. It's extremly useful, stable and (at least in the version I installed) non intrusive. For example, Switch is what I always use to convert the wmas that Cubase procudes to mp3 files.

Unelss someone else has taken ownership, I'd be surprised to learn that it installed "itself" or through dark channels. Could it be that some other piece of Software (eg some sound car driver) installed it on the fly?

I've only ever seen programs installed by default alongside other programs; say Acrobat Reader or the Ask toolbar :spit: when installing a browser for example. Can't say I'd ever such a thing installing a driver. I, like you, have learned to always use a Custom install. If you can't identify the method of installation I'd consider my options.

Thank you folks, for the insights contained in the previous posts.

I should probably have said, it's a W7 machine - I haven't had a problem quite like this before.

I have downloaded a few bits of software recently (eg: up-to-date NET, Pale Moon browser), but as far as I can

tell, none of the install dates correspond to the date on the Switch software. Of course, I can't check now, because

I deleted it - I must remember that in future.

Very irritating - the s/ware may be good at what it does, but I have never heard of Switch/NCH and as it happens,

have no use for a program like this. It's a gross invasion of my privacy, whatever the mechanism used to install it on

my machine. More importantly, it's a corruption of the machine which renders it less safe/secure for me to use.

Just have to put it down as one of lifes' little mysteries, and remain vigilant

Incidentally, it's also counter-productive - I will now never use NCH s/ware for anything.

Thank you for those insights, they will help me keep an eye on this sort of stuff in the future,

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693

Hello

I am familiar with this software company and have some of their useful apps which I like. What probably happened is you downloaded one of their apps and didn't notice a checkbox that allowed you to not accept more of their software with the one you were deliberately downloading? Is that possible?

Richard

This is only mildly related, but I use almost exclusively portable apps. Some are natively portable, many are from portableapps.com. One nice thing I've found is that nothing but the required program is ever "installed" (copied into a directory).

...What probably happened is you downloaded one of their apps and didn't notice a checkbox that allowed you to not accept more of

their software with the one you were deliberately downloading? Is that possible?

Probably not. I have never downloaded any NCH software - never heard of them till this 'incident'. I am not an 'expert'

in the use of Windows machines (I come from the Unix culture), but I am pretty careful about what I download. I also

have as many automatic downloads turned off as I can track down - including any and all Microsoft/Windows software.

If I can find an alternative, I will also remove from my machine any non-essential software which ever prompts me

about automatic updates.

This is only mildly related, but I use almost exclusively portable apps. Some are natively portable, many are from portableapps.com. One

nice thing I've found is that nothing but the required program is ever "installed" (copied into a directory).

In fact, in the nicest possible way, you are completely wrong - your comment is highly relevant. I too use PortableApps

for as many applications as I can, including applications to replace ubiquitous software such as Word and Adobe Reader.

You are absolutely correct, the downloading and installing of updates to programs is carried out without any additional

'bonus' software being silently installed. Another advantage is that software updates download and install without the

user having to go through a sometimes lengthy and tedious 'wizard' procedure. I would recommend anyone to use

PortableApps for as much software as possible.

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693