Too Much Choice

LDT

It's funny that I was not reading ahead on your posting, but my mind was already altering the rhythm and note durations of "Twinkle ....."

Oddly enough that's why I posted a well known, fairly simple tune, with enough variations to drive an intermediate player up the wall here. Tom Clough just messed with the tune to his hearts content which seems to be a popular pastime amongst Northumbrian pipers. Just goes to show that there is more to any tune than meets the eye. :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not from the point of view of a concertina player but someone who has learned piano by Suzuki method -

Twinkles and other very simple very familiar tunes are really useful. They're very easy to get the hang of at the beginning of your learning and

Well I use twinkle little star as a kind of warm up..is the first song I play to get in the zone before trying anything else.....

Not from the point of view of a concertina player but someone who has learned piano by Suzuki method -

Twinkles and other very simple very familiar tunes are really useful. They're very easy to get the hang of at the beginning of your learning and

Well I use twinkle little star as a kind of warm up..is the first song I play to get in the zone before trying anything else.....

That seems to be a very good idea, along with variations as you get familiar with the tune.

Regarding getting to events, is Canterbury a long way from you? There was an regular event there last year at least(3rd Sunday in the month, 1.30 to 4.30pm according to the ICA events calendar). Although this calendar needs updating, very often regular events just continue and continue - why not have a look and then use the contact details there to see if any event that strikes your fancy is still going on?

A holiday-based approach is good, too. The Isle of Arran is lovely in October ;) and there'll be a lovely friendly event here next year!

See you then?!

Samantha

Regarding getting to events, is Canterbury a long way from you? There was an regular event there last year at least(3rd Sunday in the month, 1.30 to 4.30pm according to the ICA events calendar). Although this calendar needs updating, very often regular events just continue and continue - why not have a look and then use the contact details there to see if any event that strikes your fancy is still going on?

The East Kent Concertina Players group do still have meetings in Canterbury. They are with a few exceptions on the third Sunday of alternate months. the nexct meeting is Sunday 16th November, then the 3rd Sunday in January (=18th but Subject to confirmation).

If you are around the Kent area but cannot get to these Canterbury dates, email me and I might be able to point you towards some local events.

Regards.

John Wild

That seems to be a very good idea, along with variations as you get familiar with the tune.

What do you mean by variations? Can I have an example :)

A holiday-based approach is good, too. The Isle of Arran is lovely in October ;) and there'll be a lovely friendly event here next year!

See you then?!

Samantha

Arran is a bit far to travel without a car at the moment....but I've been looking at EATMT Melodeons and more, and Concertina's at Whitney as choices.

The East Kent Concertina Players group do still have meetings in Canterbury. They are with a few exceptions on the third Sunday of alternate months. the nexct meeting is Sunday 16th November, then the 3rd Sunday in January (=18th but Subject to confirmation).

If you are around the Kent area but cannot get to these Canterbury dates, email me and I might be able to point you towards some local events.

Regards.

John Wild

Well I'm actually in Essex...but If I go down to the seafront I can look over the river and see Kent on a good day. ;)

Arran is a bit far to travel without a car at the moment....but I've been looking at EATMT Melodeons and more, and Concertina's at Whitney as choices.

I think a boat would be more practical in terms of Arran, and would make trips to Kent a bit easier, too. The last time I checked, I don't think a passport was necessary ;)

There seems to be a concerted effort to re-name that lovely Oxfordshire town :o . If your playing continues to improve at the current rate, I think you would enjoy Witney, next year. I've no idea who Dave Townsend will book as tutors, and the announcement has been very late in the last couple of years (at one point, he was booking two years ahead, but that was years ago!)

Well I'm actually in Essex...but If I go down to the seafront I can look over the river and see Kent on a good day. ;)

When I was little my grandparents would take me to Southend as a treat. I thought the land I could see across the water was France.

I can still taste Rossi's ice cream, are they still going?

I think a boat would be more practical in terms of Arran, and would make trips to Kent a bit easier, too. The last time I checked, I don't think a passport was necessary ;)

There seems to be a concerted effort to re-name that lovely Oxfordshire town :o . If your playing continues to improve at the current rate, I think you would enjoy Witney, next year. I've no idea who Dave Townsend will book as tutors, and the announcement has been very late in the last couple of years (at one point, he was booking two years ahead, but that was years ago!)

I do have blow up dingy...but don't think I could row accross. lol!

What do you mean by rename?

When I was little my grandparents would take me to Southend as a treat. I thought the land I could see across the water was France.

I can still taste Rossi's ice cream, are they still going?

Yep they are still going they have a restaurant (bit expensive) and Ice cream vans. :)

They've done the seafront up a bit now....and the pier burnt down again so they are trying to rebuild that again.

P1060173.jpgP1060183.jpgP1060166.jpg

What do you mean by rename?

I think Peter was referring to the frequency with which 'Witney' seems to gain an 'h'. Perhaps this is a result of some hidden desire to unify the spelling in line with that well-known Yorkshire fishing port beginning with 'Wh' which hosts an equally well-known folk festival in August each year. You're not the only one to do it, by a long chalk.

:)