Constructing Doublestops / 4Ths And 5Ths

hey I'm confused how to construct 4ths and 5ths based on c scale.

This is what I mapped out so far....

post-12192-0-69965600-1495196404_thumb.jpg

But I cant find notation for these two intervals so I have to construct them myself.

​The C scale: C B D E F G A B C

soooo take the C and go up 5, and you get CG​ obviously a 5th....

now some of the other things I mapped out:

post-12192-0-87435000-1495196592_thumb.jpg

post-12192-0-12833400-1495196614_thumb.jpg

G is obviously the 5th of C.

now when I go to my G chord map, the 5th is a D, and if you only go up 5 steps... the 5th is a B, somethings not right.

I want to map out 4ths and 5ths for the C scale.... what am I missing?

I do not really understand the question, but correct (swap the B and the C) and extend your C scale a bit , then count from G:

The C scale: B C D E F G A B C D E

B is a 3rd higher (and a 6th lower) than G

D is a 5th higher (and a 4th lower) than G

(In your incorrect scale, CG would be a sixth and not a fifth).

Edited by Don Taylor

In any major scale, the 7 letters of the note names must always be in alphabetical order, starting again at A after G.

Every major scale has all 7 letters, plus the first letter of the scale is repeated at the top.

The sharps or flats are then added to the letters as necessary.

This is why, for example, G major has an F# rather than a G flat - even though these two are exactly the same pitch.

So, a C major scale is C D E F G AB C

A G major scale is G A B C D E F# G

You then count a 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc., counting the starting note as 1.

So the 5th of C is G, as follows: C D E F G

So, the 3rd of C is E, s follows: C D E.

In the original post, you wrote: << The C scale: C B D E F G A B C >>

You will see that you got the scale wrong, because the letters are not in alphabetical order: C B D... is wrong.

both post are very helpful.

so do I construct a 4th and 5th based on a note or a scale?

Yes - on both a note and a scale.

Start on the note, count that as your '1' and then count to '5' on the notes of the scale for a fifth. There is a lot more to it than this, but if you want to get into the whys of all of this stuff then I recommend www.musictheory.net

You can ignore their pleas for you to buy their apps - they are quite good but the web-site has everything you need.

You should start at the beginning by clicking on 'Lessons', but for information about how to count intervals you can jump straight to the section on intervals .

Now some would argue, and there is truth to their argument, that you don't need to know any of this theory stuff to play Anglo - the thing was designed to do it for you. Just push the button down from the melody note usually gives you a third below and the one below that usually gives you a fifth below. Does it sound good? Then use it. Does it sound off? Then try another button down or just play the melody note on its own or poke around until you find something you do like.

My problem with this approach is my terrible memory - I need to write it down so that I can do it again and that means learning some sort of notation scheme which eventually heads down the rabbit hole of music theory...