What Other Hobbies Do You Have

Sharron

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christopher, Mark,

Finally, some gardeners coming forth! We have a small farm, with a herd of cattle and a lot of garden space. The fruit orchard is the most fulfilling: peaches, pears, apples, oranges, lemons, grapefruit, figs, jujubes and loquats. Nothing in this world beats a fresh juicy peach right off the tree! We also do vegetables and old rose varieties, all just for home use. Like Christopher, we had a flock of chickens; they became pets and we allowed them to grow old. Foxes or raccoons somehow got in the henhouse and killed off the final survivors last month; we'll get some more this spring. A horse and a donkey are freeloading pets that get fat off summer grass.

My main cooking is outdoors; Texas barbecue is really just very slowly-smoked beef on a wood fire....none of those ketchupy sauces used in other states need apply. My wife takes charge of the pies; unfortunately we cannot grow rhubarbs like you down here, but the wild dewberries we pick from the hedges are a pretty good substitute.

We've been building bluebird houses and putting them on fenceposts; the first nesting pair arrived this week.

A little time for exercising; too much time for mowing pastures and mending fences. Lots of time in the evenings for playing music, writing, reading and participating in a few organisations. Starting to do more woodworking now that I retired. We watch a bit of television when there is a national disaster.

I've always felt that concertinas and traditional music are natural accompaniments to living in old-fashioned ways, but know they do very well in an urban environment too, as when I was younger.

Cheers,

Dan

Texas barbecue is really just very slowly-smoked beef on a wood fire....none of those ketchupy sauces used in other states need apply. Cheers,

Dan

Would you by chance use mesquite wood? Have mercy I smell it now. How long is it to dinner anyway.

Dan, it sounds wonderful.