Poll: Tune Of The Month For June, 2013

Jim Besser

Tune of the Month for June, 2013  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry for the delay, folks - just got back from a great weekend of playing concertina in Vermont, and didn't have the wi-fi connectivity I expected.

OK, that's a lie; I was too busy playing to get on the computer. So be it.

Anyway, here's the poll for June. Vote for one of the following three.

Julianne Johnson

I'm a sucker for good oldtime fiddle tunes played on concertina, and this one is one of my favorites. It's cool how the concertina can in some ways emulate the fiddle (see Bertram Levy, Jody Kruskal, et al), but also surpass it as a powerful rhythm instrument. Trust me, there's a lot you can do with this tune.

played for a contra dance by the Glen Echo Open Band; I'm somewhere there in the mix.

Couldn't find a squeezebox version, but what about

I bet Jody could give us a killer version of this tune if it's chosen.

La Luna Dins Aiga:

I learned this tune from David Barnert at the Northeast Squeeze-in a few years back; it quickly became a favorite among the assembled squeezers. Personally, I like it played slow with a touch of drama, but at NESI it sounded great played at a lively pace.

I can't find much about its origin, but it's a good tune, so who cares?

is C.net stalwart Alan Day playing it - it's the second tune in the set, at about 1.08

Peter Trimming playing it, I believe on a Bf/F.

The Kilnamona Barndance

I've always been intrigued by this Irish tune because I've heard it played so many different ways, and in particular with a lot of variation in the B part.

Here it is in straight up Irish style. But I'm guessing it would also sound pretty good played in an English chorded style.

a pretty fiddle version (the second tune in the set)

Solas has a gorgeous concertina version on their Sunny Spells CD – I assume it's John Williams on Anglo, but my CD is packed away so I can't read the liner notes. He takes the somewhat mundane B part of most versions and gives it some intriguing twists. I won't violate their copyright by posting it, but if you can find it, get it, it's gorgeous.

That's it; vote now if you want your voice heard.

Edited by Jim Besser

ABCs for those who want the dots, I don't know any of these tunes so I can't vouch for the accuracy of the transcriptions.

X:1
T: Julianne Johnson
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
R: reel
K: D
|"D"fafe dfed| Bd- de d2fg| a2 a2-aab2|"A" a8|
"D"fafe dfed| Bd- de d2fg|f2 e2 dA B2| [1 "A" A8:|[2 "A" A6||
|:A2|"G" B4 d3 A|BABc d3 A|BABc dA B2 |"D"A6- AA|
"G"BABc d2 AA|BABc d2 e2|"D"f2ff edB2| [1 "A7"A6:|[2 "A7" A8 |["Transition""A"A3A- Ace^g||

X:1
T:La Luna Dins l'Aiga (Pierre-Marie Blajà)
C:Trad 2, 35
M:2/4
L:1/16
K:C
e2gf e2ge|fgaf d2ef|g2ge c2de|fedc BABc|\
e2gf e2ge|fgaf d2ef|g2c2 edcB|c4 c2B2:|
a2ag abc'2|b2ba g2e2|fgaf g2e2|fef^f g4|\
a2ag abc'2|b2ba g2e2|fgaf g2e2|1 dcBd c4:|2 g2^f2 g2=f2||

X: 1
T: Kilnamona Barndance
R: barndance
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
K: Fmaj
|:cFAc FGAc|c2 B2 G3 A|B2 G2 d3 d|d2 c2 A4|
|cFAc FGAc|c2 B2 G3 A|B2 G2 d2 c2|F4 F4:|
|:a4 agfa|g3 g gfde|fgfd c2 Ac|d2 (3ggg g2 fg|a3 a agfa|
|g3 g gfde|fgfd c2 (3ABc|1 d2 (3fff f4:|2 d2 f2 [Af]4|
"variation for Part B measures 5 and 6"
|acaa acfa|gBgg gfde|

La Luna Dins Aiga:

I learned this tune from David Barnart at the Northeast Squeeze-in a few years back; it quickly became a favorite among the assembled squeezers.

And I learned it from Peter Trimming, right here on concertina.net in this thread from 2007:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6687

When Peter posted it, we didn't know what it was called. I did up the notes from listening to Peter's video and posted them, both in Bb (where Peter played it) and in G (where it makes more sense on most instruments). I have since run across aficionados of French music who play it in D.

My transcription is here (note that as we didn't yet know the title, we were calling it "Gordon's Tune," since Peter learned it from a melodeon player named Gordon):

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6687&p=62672

Two posts further down that page is the abc.

The Kilnamona Barndance

a pretty fiddle version (the second tune in the set)

My DH (fiddle player) is a great Martin Heyes fan and we have that CD.

Maybe I can persuade him to do a duet if we do this one.

Chris

Just voted. It claims that 28 people have now voted in this poll, yet when I subsequently added up all the votes, they only came to 23 in total. Surely some mishtake?

Chris

I don't have a clue how it works. But looking at hte administrative page, I don't see any way to game the system. So its some anomaly in the software.

And, I am one of those who is again astounded that my horse is not winning.... "it twas ever thus". B)

...and that's just the bit of information to tell me what your horse is named actually... :ph34r:

Right ,I will just register as three or four other people and save my winning votes for the last moment and thus 'beat the system' :D

Apparently an intermediate leading position of a tune is counted as an advantage in case of a subsequent voting tie. Will this software feature apply as a rule regarding the voting procedure finally? B)

I must cancel this remark resp. question: just misinterpreted the "your vote" asterix as "leading horse"...

Geoff, this is proof of me experiencing the distress or yours for the very first time... ;)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Just voted. It claims that 28 people have now voted in this poll, yet when I subsequently added up all the votes, they only came to 23 in total. Surely some mishtake?

Chris

This was brought up before Chris. If you go in and don't actually cast a vote, it still includes you as having voted. I went in, had a look at the three tunes in question, didn't actually like any of them that much, so didn't vote for any of them ... in other words a vote of "abstention". So that would be one of the 5 in question at the time you looked.

Chris

This was brought up before Chris. If you go in and don't actually cast a vote, it still includes you as having voted. I went in, had a look at the three tunes in question, didn't actually like any of them that much, so didn't vote for any of them ... in other words a vote of "abstention". So that would be one of the 5 in question at the time you looked.

Thanks, Irene. I, too, had thought this was the most likely explanation; that the total includes everyone who has visited the topic, irrespective of whether they have voted or not.

Chris