[Request] Chantal Noppen Demonstrate The Jack Baritone Concertina

papawemba

Hello everyone !

I remember seeing a video on youtube of Chantal Noppen demonstrating the Jack Baritone Concertina...

It was this link I believe : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALqNzEDCKnE&fmt=18

But it just vanished now !! And no trace at all on internet. I really liked this tune and her interpretation.

Anyone knows what tune it was ? Or have download it and can send it to me ?

Thank you for your help !!

Nicolas

Edited by papawemba

Here's hoping you succeed in getting it returned to Youtube----I, too, loved that tune and meant to learn it one of these days. Had not realized it had vanished . . . One does wish these demo folks would note the tune title in their clips, I do see some here and there are starting to do that . . .

​Actually, I'm going to have to correct myself. The Chantal Noppen demo tune I was taken with, was for a Morse Albion EC. She demoed an Albion Bari EC in one clip, and an Albion Treble EC in a different clip. The tune I liked was a three-part with a very modal or modal-minor cast to it. I THINK it was in the Bari demo, but not 100% sure.

And I do see both of her Albion EC demos have vanished. What is the deal with that, one does wonder. Even if they don't stock the Morse EC anymore, so what? Why deprive the world of nifty concertina music as well as info that is hard to come by, about a concertina model? So annoying. . . . And even more annoying that I didn't capture that tune when I had the chance . . .

Edited by ceemonster

Here is one of the tunes from the vanished Chantal Noppen Morse Albion EC demos. It is not the one I intended to learn, that one was a 3-part, modal/modal-minorish tune. But this too is a nifty item. It's an English trad slip jig titled "The Peacock Followed the Hen." I recognized it after ordering a lovely Irish concertina CD by Jason O'Rourke titled "The Northern Concertina." This tune opens one of the sets on that CD, and I had an "Aha!" moment due to watching Chantal Noppen play it on EC numerous times on Youtube. Not sure this clip is the same key as the Chantal Noppen concertina demo, but it's the same setting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmf22gPuTrw

Thank you ceemonster, I feel less lonely now :-)

Nice tune there, would love to hear the concertina version...

I send a message to concertina connection via youtube but no answer yet :-/

I'll try via concertina connection site...

Yes, it's a real mystery why those videos just vanished.

Best

Well, I wonder if the store closed down. She worked at, or was associated with an instrument store in the UK called The Music Room. That is who ORIGINALLY posted those demo clips to Youtube. They had their own Youtube channel, of folks playing instruments they stocked and sold. There was a guy there named John Loomis who also demo'd some concertinas and who may have been a/the principal in the business. But Chantal Noppen demo'ed some ECs----Concertina Connection Jacks or Jackies, and also the Morse ECs I mentioned.

However, I don't see their site online, wondering if they closed and I didn't realize it. I guess it's been a while since I checked them out online. Chantal should really do a solo trad EC recording, she's a very nice player.

Here it is---a 2016 melodeon.net thread about The Music Room closing down. So . . . they are not there to maintain the demo clips. And things have gone down from Youtube. Probly the only stuff left is stuff there secondarily, that was captured by others and is now on the youtube channels of others. I WONDERED why the sole Chantal Noppen clip left on the 'tube was on a channel unrelated to The Music Room. John Loomis may be locatable on the internet, perhaps he has the clips or knows where they are, and would be kind enough to restore them to the Universal Session.

Sorry, my computer won't copy links. But the melodeon.net thread title is

The Music Room - Closing Down

Edited by ceemonster

Mmm I think your are somehow right.

Still strange that the video of Chantal Noppen demonstrating the Jackie is still online and uploaded by a user named TheMusicRoomOnline :-)

And that channel does have lot's of videos... But the demonstration of Jack concertina is missing...why !!!!?????? :(

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to recall watching the video too, pity that it's gone (all the more as there don't seem to exist too many decent recordings of the tune).

As to the modal thing - I really like these kind of B sections (Lydian in this case, i.e. an Aeolian/minor tune; similar to the Ionian/major tune Apley House, Playford, where the B section switches to Mixolydian - everything just because the accidentals are kept when changing the key note).

And I appreciate the hint re Slip Jigs (thank you for that), they're such fun to play...!

I've always liked that tune, which I've been playing for at least 40 years, but that particular rendition is much to frantic for my taste.

I'm aware that it's a wee bit rapid, Jim :-)

However it was the first version at all on YT that struck a chord with me...

Best wishes - Wolf