Arran And Concertina's

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i foresee one problem with this idea - the distillery...

now i've nothing against a musical weekend but how can i be expected to concentrate with casks of whisky quietly singing their sirens song? And so close at hand.

I do not see any conflict in combining concertina playing with whiskey drinking :)

that's cause you've neither heard me play concertina nor seen me drink whisky :)

First. thanks Samantha for the dates(apparently you and I crossed in cyber space!), I will see what I can do. The fact that it is a weekend makes it much easier for me, it is definately do-able. Put me down an "tentative", and I will have a definate answer in about a month, but it looks good.

Second: Animaterra, I am a public school teacher also, and don't see a conflict. It is on a weekend. Take a personal day for friday, and a sick day for Monday, and you are in! It is exactly what I did last Dec. when I went to England to visit my daughter who was studying there for the fall semester, it worked fine. Fly out Thursday night, and fly back Mon. afternoon.

Third: Whisky and Concertina playing. This to me is like the distributive property of addition and subtraction. Whisky is good. Concertinas, and playing them, is also good. So concertinas, when combined with whisky, has to be good!(there is a point of diminishing return,I would think, where one's whisky consumption is beginning to not only not help, but to hinder. But that is fun, too!

Hope to see you all there,

Don

Who all's a-comin'?

Samantha

We're all a-comin'. Hope that doesn't put others off (especially since Anne's threatening to bring her fiddle and me my Anglodeon).

I see no problem with the whisky. After all, my small stock of 2 bottles of Arran single malt has been going steadily recently, with no inpac, er impoc, imbact, effect on my playing (hick).

Chris

...and that would be to offer an optional half-day trip to the distillery which is located at the north end of the island, about 45 km away from the proposed location of the Arran concertina event ...

Nah - I don't think anyone would want to got to the distillery... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Henrik

At the SSI, of course, they've always had some sort of concert on the Sunday afternoon. Do you think the distillery would be a good place to have such an event at he ACE? With a little bit of luck they might give us whisky to stop playing!

(I'm looking for a smiley for hopeful, but :hopeful doesn't seem to work ...)

Chris

...an optional half-day trip to the distillery...

What's optional... the trip to the distillery, or limiting it to half a day? :D

The only way I can see to fit this in is to make it on the Friday afternoon somehow, if people turn up early enough. But I've yet to work out how I can be in two places at once :blink: (driving the minibus to the distillery and greeting new arrivals at the bunkhouse) - any suggestions?

Samantha

Edited by Samantha

...I've yet to work out how I can be in two places at once  :blink:  (driving the minibus to the distillery and greeting new arrivals at the bunkhouse) - any suggestions?

Book us rooms at the distillery? :D

More seriously, maybe a good friend would be willing to take on one of those tasks. Or a teetotalling early arrival could volunteer to do one or the other. (The driver, after all, needs to remain sober.)

I just did the sums and the travel costs - plane, train & ferry are not too bad for me. Taking into account accomodation costs, it is equivalent to a trip to concertinas at Witney. Witney is 100 miles away from me and Aran must be 5 or 600!?

Samantha - What's the recommended route?

Flight to Glasgow, Train to Ardrossan, CalMac to Arran?

[snip] ...  the recommended route?

Flight to Glasgow, Train to Ardrossan, CalMac to Arran?

That's about it. I usually say get to Glasgow whichever way suits you best, then train to Ardrossan and boat to Brodick. Depending on who's arring when and the possible distillery tour you'll either be met at the ferry or you can get the bus round to the bunkhouse; it literally stops at the door.

If you decide to travel by rail to Glasgow, then book the ticket through to Ardrossan from your point of departure and save youself a little money.

Samantha

So ...

Who all's a-comin'?

This is too good to miss. I will start seriously thinking about it, Samantha!

Anybody else from this part of the word thinking about coming (besides Jim :) )?

I have a colleague who regularly travels between southern Sweden (Copenhagen, Kastrup). I'll have a talk with him.

Henrik