Tune Of The Month For March, 2013: The Fiery Clockface

Jim Besser

Just wanted to thank you and all contributors for introducing this tune of the month. I'm a recent beginner to the EC and I'm going to be using these tunes (when they're within my abilities) to give a real focus to my learning and as a way of building up a good repertoire. The current offering is just perfect for that and I'm enjoying working on it each day. Hearing the different takes on the same tune is fascinating.

Cheers,

Dean

Good to hear; that's the goal. I'm a not-very-experienced melodeon player, and the TOTM on mel.net has really pushed me to advance.
I' d just like to echo Deans sentiments- this will focus my attention and hopefully improve my playing. I've dipped into MelNet and found that a great resource for listening to tunes played. My aims already are to (1) get my head around a tune within a month and (2), get my head around the technology and (...deep breath) post something. There I've said it now! Edited by cannon

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to post a rendition too but I've never done this before.. so.. I make a recording on a device (MP3)... shove it on my computer... download Audacity (for free) and use that programme to transfer to Soundcloud ??? Is that the way and/or can someone walk us virgins through the process please ? :blink:

Once it's on your computer in MP3 format, go to soundcloud.com, create an account, and simply upload, using the button on the top right. It will provide you with a link to post here on the TOTM forum! If you record in a different format (ie not mp3), Audacity can convert it to MP3 format. There are also other freeware programs that do this handily. Looking forward to your rendition of this fine tune.

Want to post a rendition too but I've never done this before.. so.. I make a recording on a device (MP3)... shove it on my computer... download Audacity (for free) and use that programme to transfer to Soundcloud ??? Is that the way and/or can someone walk us virgins through the process please ? :blink:

AFAIK there is no need of using an extra program for the upload. My own plan is to just record my version using my notebook computer and then directly load the (256 MP3) file up to the Sound Sky (if not Heaven)... <_<

But indeed there may be other, experienced members who know alternatives to this minimalist approach...

AFAIK there is no need of using an extra program for the upload. My own plan is to just record my version using my notebook computer and then directly load the (256 MP3) file up to the Sound Sky (if not Heaven)... <_<

But indeed there may be other, experienced members who know alternatives to this minimalist approach...

Minimalist is fine. The object here isn't to win awards for sound engineering but share music and the incredible variety of ways to play the tunes we love. I've done perfectly acceptable recordings on my smart phone (videos, too.)

Well Geoff I am no computer expert so if I can do it so can you.I have a Zoom 4 and record myself on that.I then take the card out of the Zoom recorder and put it into a card reader.(Sandisc).I then plug that into the computer and up comes the recordings.I lift the MP3 off the page and drop it onto my desktop.It is then ready to put it on here.

Click on the down Load for your topic reply and up will come a number of Browse options.You only need to click on one of them.Go to "Desktop" find the MP3 number for your recording for here and click on it and fix it by clicking open.Then click on that you wish to down load it and Bob's yer Uncle"

The only problem you may have is that it may ,if it is too long a recording,it may exceed the amount you are allowed on here.In that case I make a smaller recording, or delete an old one to make the space available.

There are other methods using other systems but that is the easiest for me.

Your old mate

Al

Funny how not only do we each have different ways to play the tune, but we also each have different ways to get the sound onto the web.

I use my laptop's built in microphone for the recording. It is stored on my hard disk as AIFF. I use iTunes to convert it to mp3, although this is not necessary, as soundcloud accepts AIFF, WAVE, FLAC, OGG, MP2, MP3, AAC, AMR and WMA files. But mp3 takes up less space.

Alan's point about running out of storage space on concertina.net... I ran out of space quite some time ago, so now I put everything someplace else and link to it. Mostly I use dropbox, but for this project, I started an account at soundcloud.

No free server space is unlimited. Dropbox has a limit, and so does soundcloud. After I did the mp3 conversion, I discovered that soundcloud's limit is 2 hours of audio, so I guess it really doesn't matter how little space the actual file takes up.

Jim's last point about getting a postable link to the soundcloud file,,, I just copied the url from the top line of the browser. I just tried Jim's way, the url is the same.

For mel.net TOTM and in my Tune-a-Day Blog I use a Lumix TZ20 camera with the following settings -

IA setting for the camera settings,

Motion Picture>Rec Mode = AVCHD,

Motion Picture>Rec Quality = FSH (1920x1080).

I process the videos on an iMac using iMovie with a resultant file that is a HD720p (1280x720) .MOV of around 150Mb.

Which I up load to YouTube which doesn't have any resrictions on server space.

Well Geoff I am no computer expert so if I can do it so can you.I have a Zoom 4 and record myself on that.I then take the card out of the Zoom recorder and put it into a card reader.(Sandisc).I then plug that into the computer and up comes the recordings.I lift the MP3 off the page and drop it onto my desktop.It is then ready to put it on here.

Click on the down Load for your topic reply and up will come a number of Browse options.You only need to click on one of them.Go to "Desktop" find the MP3 number for your recording for here and click on it and fix it by clicking open.Then click on that you wish to down load it and Bob's yer Uncle"

The only problem you may have is that it may ,if it is too long a recording,it may exceed the amount you are allowed on here.In that case I make a smaller recording, or delete an old one to make the space available.

Your old mate

Al

Hi Al,

your method sounds easiest, without creating accounts and downloading special organising software.... so I will give that a try... but first to make the recording.. I know what I 'want' to do with the tune.. see you all later.. if I get through the process :unsure:

thanks to all,

Geoff.

PS: Al, why a card reader. or can I just plug in the ZOOM... or shove the card in the SD slot of my computer ?

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Your old mate

Al

Hi Al,

your method sounds easiest, without creating accounts and downloading special organising software.... so I will give that a try... but first to make the recording.. I know what I 'want' to do with the tune.. see you all later.. if I get through the process :unsure:

thanks to all,

Geoff.

PS: Al, why a card reader. or can I just plug in the ZOOM... or shove the card in the SD slot of my computer ?

Give it a try Geoff I have no facility for that on my computer, or if I have I havn't found it

Al

I will try to download my recording which ... looks to be attached, yippee!

This tune is new to me but the genre is not. Played on a 56 key Wheatstone Baritone/treble Aeola EC made in 1927.This instrument is tuned in 1/5th Comma Meantone.

Sorry for the little fumbles caused by some loss of control in my third finger L/H after the Stroke... getting better but not quite there yet.

Again thanks to all for the help with downloading... Al's method worked great for me !

STE-008.mp3

Edited by Geoff Wooff

I will try to download my recording which ... looks to be attached, yippee!

This tune is new to me but the genre is not. Played on a 56 key Wheatstone Baritone/treble Aeola EC made in 1927.This instrument is tuned in 1/5th Comma Meantone.

Really nice! Interesting to hear the very different texture of the tune, English vs. Anglo. Thanks for contributing.

Well done Geoff ,fantastic in fact,that must be thirty years now I have enjoyed your playing.

Glad to have helped.

Al

I think it is 39 years since we first met in 1974.... sad really how the years roll past... thanks for the positive comments Al.

Anglo versus English , Jim ? Well, yes, I might be sounding a bit like 'English- Anglo' style here...

This was exactly my first impression when hearing your version. One more great proof, if needed at all, of the versatility of the EC... It's a pleasure to listen to the swirl of sound!

What I am trying to do with the EC in general and on this TOTM in particular is quite different (I restrain myself from naming it in advance).

My Excelsior and I had to part for some days, and my impatience is growing. Can't wait to do a bit of rehearsing and then take my very first recording in the honor of the newly introduced CNet TOTM! :blink:

Anglo versus English , Jim ? Well, yes, I might be sounding a bit like 'English- Anglo' style here...

This was exactly my first impression when hearing your version. One more great proof, if needed at all, of the versatility of the EC... It's a pleasure to listen to the swirl of sound!

What I am trying to do with the EC in general and on this TOTM in particular is quite different (I restrain myself from naming it in advance).

My Excelsior and I had to part for some days, and my impatience is growing. Can't wait to do a bit of rehearsing and then take my very first recording in the honor of the newly introduced CNet TOTM! :blink:

Hmmmmmmmmm.... very curious Blue Eyed Sailor. Good luck with your recording.. I find the Red 'Recording Now' light is far more daunting than a live audience .

I like the idea that Posters might try something different and share their ideas.

I find the Red 'Recording Now' light is far more daunting than a live audience .

Took me a while to work out why this was true, for me it comes down to the recording being there for all time (or at least until it's deleted) whereas with a live audience the mistake was there then it was gone and the chances are only you noticed. So recordings turn out to be far harder until you turn your "acceptable recording" level down :-)

http://lesters-tune-a-day.blogspot.co.uk