Rusty Fingers

In the engineering trade there is a common problem called rusty fingers and I have it.If I pick up a nice new shiny piece of steel within hours my fingerprints are all over it in red rust.This is of course a problem with steel reeds etc

I fear my finger prints are on the reeds I have tuned so I better start behaving myself.

" I didn`t do it guvnor"

Al

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Al, that's a little scary! To think that you're so powerful you can even rust metal with your bare hands!

Seriously, though, you might want to run down to the chemist's (or whatever you call the appropriate shop over there) and pick up some vinyl or latex exam gloves. They make some thin enough to not interfere much with what you're doing, but they'll keep your destructive fingerprints off your reeds!

:)

Steven

so I better start behaving myself.

Is that a realistic possibility?? I figure I never have, so why start now! Though in regards to reeds, I'm sure that they would appreciate it.

I've never met a man who could rust metal. I wonder what the chemistry of that is about? Do you eat lots of pickles?

so I better start behaving myself.
Is that a realistic possibility?? I figure I never have, so why start now!

In my case, it took me many years to learn to be irresponsible. ;)

I've never met a man who could rust metal.  I wonder what the chemistry of that is about?

As a child, he would never eat spinach. :)

I've never met a man who could rust metal. I wonder what the chemistry of that is about? Do you eat lots of pickles?

Skin pH is fairly variable, due in part to (not as disgusting as it sounds) skin bacteria. Normal skin flora includes staphylococcus epidermidis, which secretes weak acids to create a more hospitable environment for itself, and to create a less hospitable environment for other bacteria (including harmful types) that may try to inhabit the skin. As everyone's levels of these bacteria are different, everyone's skin oils have varying acidity.

Latex gloves are a great answer, or you may also try using alcohol wipes on your fingertips before handling the reeds.

Well I can't rust metal, but I never had to polish my rings - my skin seems to make them shiny. Don't know why, it's just always been that way :P

Cheers

Morgana :D

I'm one of those lucky people who kill wristwatches just by wearing them. I don't rust them, they just stop running, or sometimes run backwards, or two seconds forward, one second back. Happens every time, although only with mechanical watches. Must be an excess of animal magnetism.

I have no effect on quartz crystals, thank goodness.

So far I've not noticed any untoward effects on the concertina mechanism. If it suddenly starts playing backwards, I'll let everyone know.

ScottC, me too!! I haven't worn a watch for years, because even the quartz ones are in danger of getting banged around by my over-enthusiastic gestures (when I conduct my chorus, the sound person has learned to place the microphones just out of reach...).

But I never did understand how I could kill mechanical watches just by wearing them. I blamed it on my left-handedness- winding with the "wrong" hand meant pulling on the pin-thingy wrong, or something! :huh:

Allison

I'm one of those lucky people who kill wristwatches just by wearing them.

So what happens with pocket watches?

That would seem to be a solution at least for Allison, unless she weats clothers without pockets.

Years ago my watch band broke, so I started carrying the "wrist" watch in my pocket. While I meant to get a new band, by the time I went to do so I realized that I actually preferred carrying the watch in my pocket. Now if I get a new watch, I take the band off and keep just the watch in my pocket. :)

I'm one of those lucky people who kill wristwatches just by wearing them.

Me too! My dad is the same way. I figure that I must have some kind of magnetic force field around me. Maybe it's from eating too much spinach as a kid. . . I'm full of iron and have somehow become polarized! Does that mean if I stand next to someone of the opposite polarity that I'll stick to them?? Could be. . . er. . . um. . . interesting.

My Herrington has metal ends, being magnetic could be helpful. I never have to worry about dropping it!

Let's all put on body armor and shake Al's hand.

Er no, that won't work. He would rust us permanently into the bodysuits.

Hm, we could get work as something or other (I bet Jim L would figure out something if not Alan) but going to the bathroom would definitely be a problem.

Hey Al, this is me waving to you.

Helen

Own Up

It is now time to close this debate

One that`s been hard to relate

The police have turned up in my drive

to take me dead or alive

My fingerprints were on the key

but they would not listen to my plea

"I didn`t do it it wasn`t me"

but the evidence was plain for all to see

Here I sit in my cell