Poll: Tune Of The Month For April, 2013

Jim Besser

Poll: Vote for Tune of the Month for April, 2013  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For April's Tune of the Month, I'm suggesting three tunes from different traditions. Listen, try them out, vote - and the winner will be announced on April 1 so we can all get started.

They're all pretty basic and sound nice when played in a simple, straightforward fashion, but they also serve as good platforms for musical creativity.

Remember, there's no reason why you can't play these tunes in different keys or different styles. The ABCs I include are just to give you an idea of the basic tune.

La Bastringue:

A lively French Canadian reel that has become popular on the American contra dance circuit. There's also a circle mixer by that name that uses the tune.

No concertina videos available that I can find, but here's a decent

on fiddle (it is a fiddle tune, after all).

You can see ABCs and regular notation for the tune - or at least one version of it - here

The American contra dance band Amarillis does a sprightly version with English concertina in the lead.

There are numerous variations to the B part, and I like them all.

Scollay's Reel.

I believe it is a Shetland tune, but I've heard it all over the place - including at a pub in Ireland..

Here's a simplified, straightforward

with clarinet and accordion:

The all time best concertina version of this is on Jody Kruskal's Grand Picnic CD. Here's a

of the band rocking the tune like nobody else can : .

Here's some notation to give you a general idea of how it's played, although I've heard endless variations.

Boda Waltz

A beautiful Swedish waltz, variously called Bodavalsen, Waltz from Boda, and just plain Boda.

I can't find any really good recordings on public sites like YouTube (I won't post clips from copyrighted material, ie from my CD collection). T

is the best I could find. If chosen I will post my own recording (guess I'd better practice!). It does sound gorgeous on concertina, and while it is a simple tune, it really opens up with creative chords, bass lines, etc. Here are some basic ABCs from thesession.org - labeled "Anna's Waltz," for some reason.

X: 1
T: Anna's
R: waltz

M: 3/4
L: 1/8
K: Gmaj
B3 c BA|B3 c BA|B4 e2|B3 def|
g4 g2|f4 e2|f3 gf2|B6|
e4 e2|d3 c Bc|B4 A2|G3 FEF|
G3 AG2|F3 GF2|E6|E6:|
e4 e2|g3 f e2|d6|B6|
A3 B c2|c3 B A2|B4 c2|d6|
e4 e2|g3 f e2|d6|B6|
A3 B c2|D2 E2 F2|G3 A GF|G6:|
So have at it. As they say in Chicago, vote early, vote often (just kidding).

An excellent selection Jim. Thanks.

I have a version of the notation for 'Boda Waltz' where that is the subtitle and the main title is 'Vals efter Soling Anders'.

I'm not sure where I got it from, but I agree with you that it's a great tune and, on E.C., benefits hugely from the judicious addition of harmony.

3 nice tunes (I might learn them all)!

I thought Scollay's was Eileen Og (the Pride of Petravore) which we play with King of the Fairires or Rights of Man ... they're so close, I'll probably end up playing that half the time! - I can only find the song

In fact La Bastringue sounds like something else that I play too ... can't remember what at the moment though.

3 nice tunes (I might learn them all)!

I thought Scollay's was Eileen Og (the Pride of Petravore) which we play with King of the Fairires or Rights of Man ... they're so close

i have a tune book in which Scollays reel and King of the fairies are given as alternative titles for the same tune.

Re Waltz from Boda (Vals fran Boda) I rather like this version by Borje Sandquist and Matts Norrefalk myself

Yes Irene, that is a very nice version and clear/clear too.

Some nice things for the duetists to get their teeth into as well.

Jim, Thank you for the nice pre-selection.

From what I understand, the explanation behind the many titles for the 'Boda Valsen' - 'Vals efter Soling Anders' - 'Anna's Vals' is as simple as can be:

It was written by Soling Anders from Boda. Search for 'Anna's Vals' on Youtube and you'll find many more versions. But be warned, saccharine accordeons abound...

Oh, and if La Bastringue is chosen TOTM, I hope someone will be able to explain how to do this foot stamping rhytm that is in some of the youtube vids (even if the neigbours won't be pleased me practicing all night... )

Re Waltz from Boda (Vals fran Boda) I rather like this version by Borje Sandquist and Matts Norrefalk myself

Yes Irene, that is a very nice version and clear/clear too.

Some nice things for the duetists to get their teeth into as well.

I have to say that that was my feeling (on both scores) ... even I might have a go at this one even if it doesn't get the general vote (don't like reels at all ... I'm more a waltz girl)

By the way, I don't know whether to point out or not that, if you want the notes, this tune is actually one of the ones which David Cornell has arranged for duet, and can be downloaded from his online book of such. :)

Edited by Irene S

A bit plinky plonky, if you ask me. A version of it gets played regularly at the London Scandi session I go to, on fiddles, mostly. with me on concertina, and occasionally a flute or clarinet joining in, depending on who else comes to the session. The one guitarist there, just strums along rather nicely, keeping the beat and the result is a great sounding tune.

Chris

Quothe Irene:

"By the way, I don't know whether to point out or not that, if you want the notes, this tune is actually one of the ones which David Cornell has arranged for duet, and can be downloaded from his online book of such. :)"

Oh, that is usefull, and/or perhaps it is like cheating. Thanks, for the tip off Irene now we can all sound the same.... B) ?

Jim, I notice that the tune poll counter does not agree with itself.There must be a couple of 'hidden casting votes' in case of a draw!

Edited by Geoff Wooff

A bit plinky plonky, if you ask me

I will add that to my active vocabulary... :D

(and perhaps try on an intermediary version then)

Jim, I notice that the tune poll counter does not agree with itself.There must be a couple of 'hidden casting votes' in case of a draw!

Having thought it over, I've come to the conclusion, that these five "surplus" members have had a preview glance at the then current results and therefore placed a "null"-vote (being excluded from further voting just like anyone who has voted for one of the three suggested tunes).

Have to ask Paul and Ken about that. Offhand, I see no way to vote multiple times, and as administrator of this forum, I apparently don't have the ability to manipulate the vote. I'll investigate.

Edited by Jim Besser

Have to ask Paul and Ken about that. Offhand, I see no way to vote multiple times, and as administrator of this forum, I apparently don't have the ability to manipulate the vote. I'll investigate.

Jim - there are not too many votes acutally, but too many voters - that's why I believe that there had been five "null" votes because of having had a look at the result before having voted oneself - I seem to recall having been warned against doing so whilst opening the poll thread for the very first time...

Jim - there are not too many votes acutally, but too many voters - that's why I believe that there had been five "null" votes because of having had a look at the result before having voted oneself - I seem to recall having been warned against doing so whilst opening the poll thread for the very first time...

I did view results first and have been prevented from casting a vote.

Graham