Early Wheatstone Treble English At Upcoming Auction

Chris Drinkwater

Gardiner Houlgate, the well-known west country auctioneers, are holding a musical instrument sale on 12th & 13th March. Among the lots, are three concertinas, two Maccann duets and a very early Wheatstone treble English concertina, with 32 buttons. Its s/n is 880 and it dates from 1845. It is unusual in having no obvious fretwork on the ends. The ends have circular cut-outs with what appear to be pine baffles located behind, suggesting that is the rarer, circular-fretted variant available at the time. The concertinas are on page 2 of the catalogue, numbered lots76, 77 & 78. The link to the webpage is below.

http://gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/Catalogues/mi120315/page002.html

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater

Well, Wolf, you are probably right, looking at the photo of it. I had noticed it myself and thought the auction house had got it wrong and had meant to say so in my initial posting. With raised ends and English-style thumb straps, it looks like a Lachenal New model, with 60 buttons. It might be an extended treble, upwards but, looking at the Lachenal price list for1920, around the date this was made, according to the s/n, the largest new model treble on offer was a 56 key tenor-treble. They also say it has 16 buttons and seven-fold bellows. I count 60 buttons and six-fold bellows! Perhaps someone should alert the auction house to check and amend their description, as necessary!!

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater

That Lachenal New Model looks like a 60 key Tennor Treble of 7" across . I scaled off the picture , east-west and north-south and made an average using the Lachenal button spacing as a reference ... possibly an asymetric hexagon but photographic perspective can fool the eye.

Interesting that Lachenal's button spacing is slightly narrower than Wheatstone's, across the rows but not up the the rows,

Although they do not appear in the Lachenal price lists there were 'special' models with different layouts.... i once had a 63key Piccolo Treble Edeo with rivetted action, for instance.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

I have now received more photographs of the 60 button Lachenal, but I don't seem to be able to post them.

It does have 7 fold bellows and appears to be 7" across. There's a fair bit of wear on the ends, and it looks like it's long overdue a good service . If anybody knows a way I can post the photos I'll be happy to do so.

I have now received more photographs of the 60 button Lachenal, but I don't seem to be able to post them.

It does have 7 fold bellows and appears to be 7" across. There's a fair bit of wear on the ends, and it looks like it's long overdue a good service . If anybody knows a way I can post the photos I'll be happy to do so.

Perhaps the photos are too large ( file size) ? You'd need to make them smaller... I've been fighting with this today too and I emailed the photos to myself and then posted one at a much reduced size.

A very nice and playable, albeit rather worn (the bellows had been patched up on numerous occasions) Wheatstone Tenor Treble Aeola recently sold at our local auction for just £1,150. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to bid any higher at the time and lost out. At least with that one I knew what I was trying to buy.

Through various experiences I find myself less inclined to buy a pig in a poke. Although my financial situation has improved, Bath is unfortunately a little too far to travel just for the possibility of securing the purchase of what may or may not be a tenor treble in a playable or economically restoreable condition.

A very nice and playable, albeit rather worn (the bellows had been patched up on numerous occasions) Wheatstone Tenor Treble Aeola recently sold at our local auction for just £1,150. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to bid any higher at the time and lost out. At least with that one I knew what I was trying to buy.

At least he bellows appear to be much better here...

Through various experiences I find myself less inclined to buy a pig in a poke. Although my financial situation has improved, Bath is unfortunately a little too far to travel just for the possibility of securing the purchase of what may or may not be a tenor treble in a playable or economically restoreable condition.

You might be able to bid by phone, Rikki or via the internet, rather than go to the auction in person. It might be worth your while to find out.

Chris