Melodeon related forearm pain?

Michael Eskin

Here's a weird one. Along with concertina, I started playing B/C box a few months ago. I figure some of you play both instruments and perhaps have some insight into this. I haven't found an equivalent issue over at the melodeon.net forum.

I don't have any discomfort when actually playing the box, using a single strap and playing is extremely comfortable, instrument on my left side in the common Irish style, gravity and my left thigh anchoring the instrument quite well. I play with my thumb in the groove at the edge of the button board as is done for this style, but there is very little pressure against it.

After I play the box, I have this very strange issue where if I try to play the wooden flute or whistle, it really hurts my right arm to put my arm down with my palm facing forward. Picking up the flute/whistle isn't a problem, putting down is. It's really odd. No pain while playing, but pain when putting the instrument down. It seems to be some kind of tendon issue but I can't exactly isolate where it originates.

Playing concertina and Uilleann pipes don't cause any issues, its just this one motion that is extremely painful.

Other than the fact that it started after I started playing box, I can't connect the pain to any specific strain I'm putting on my arm. Perhaps I'm developing muscles that are in opposition to those used for the other instruments? It's very odd.

Anyone else run into something like this?

Thanks,

Michael

Edited by eskin

Michael

I haven;t had a similar experience but I've had torn rotator cuffs on both shoulders. Talking to the surgeon and physical therapist, i've learened that there small muscles in the shoulder and upper arm that have very discreet functions. They only fire to assist a specific motion. You never know they are there till they aren't working right. Pain is often a result of inflamation. The type of pain you describe is very familar to me. A good PT ought to be able to help you sort it out. Or an orthopedic doc if you're inclined to go that route. Good Luck