Jazz Arrangement Of "misty" On Aeola

Hey, very nice! I put up a link to my own attempt to play Misty on the Atzarin bandoneon on a different thread a few weeks ago. I hope you don't mind me putting it here too:

It's nice to see other people trying out jazz versions of the same piece on related instruments. I had previously done a video of Over the Rainbow. In the pipeline are All of Me, Fly me to the Moon and Autumn Leaves.

Please publish more jazz concertina videos!

Oh! I've just seen the related posts section below. I'll check them out now. :mellow:

That was great Mike. Echoing Atzarin (very nice playing by the way), this is very much the style I'm working on, also on EC and having great fun. These videos are very useful and speed up the learning process. I've been wondering how you approach working out an arrangement. Do you start with a lead sheet and work out chords as you go along, write it all out, or do it all by ear?

Cheers,

Dean

That was great Mike. Echoing Atzarin (very nice playing by the way), this is very much the style I'm working on, also on EC and having great fun. These videos are very useful and speed up the learning process. I've been wondering how you approach working out an arrangement. Do you start with a lead sheet and work out chords as you go along, write it all out, or do it all by ear?

Cheers,

Dean

Dean, for jazz or contemporary music I start with the melody line and then add harmonies. I try the piece in different keys until I find the best match and then I add the bridges and other ornamentation. There is a lot of editing. I typeset the music. I can play it straight off the page or improvise here and there. I work with certain time constraints so not every recording is going to be a polished performance, but I'm okay with that.

Thanks Mike, interesting tip about trying the piece in different keys to find the best fit. Must give that a try. That and music notation software. I'm still working with a pencil, eraser and lined paper - it gets very messy.

Mike

Quite lovely, nice bellows work.

As a consequence of watching this on YouTube I discovered this video about your reed organs. Such beautiful objects and sounds. The sound of the last one, the French reed organ, is particularly majestic. You are a true craftsman.

https://youtu.be/4GBAOVvVMS4

Well, thank you.