Suggestions: "classical" Dots For A Duet?

steven r. arntson

I've been trying to improve my reading skills recently by playing some simple(ish) classical-type music on my Peacock Hayden. So far I've been working through the S, A, & T lines of some Bach chorales (the bass lines go too low for my little box), and I've struggled through a few of the simpler tunes from Bartok's Mikrokosmos. I'm wondering about other classical music that more-or-less fits the range (three octives starting at the C below middle C). If this has been written about here before, I'm happy to be pointed in a direction to keep looking. Thank you for any ideas!

Best,

steven arntson

You could try the Piper's Companion volume 5 - classics for folk. Pieces are arranged for duets (mostly) or trios. The music is arranged by Derek Hobbs and published by Rossleigh Music. They can be contacted at www.rossleighmusic.co.uk or email info@rossleighmusic.co.uk

I have attached an image of the contents page.post-160-0-36492600-1521565838_thumb.jpg

Regards

John Wild

You could try 'The Joy of ...' series from Yorktown Music Press find them at www.musicsales.com .

I have used their ' The Joy of First Piano Collection' which has simple arrangements for beginners on the piano and 'The Joy of Bach' which also has simple arrangements that can be adapted for duet concertinas.

Plenty of titles in their collection but you might have to transpose somewhat to fit into the range of your instrument.

Good luck,

Geoff.

Funny, I was just going to ask David if this piece would work on a duet:

http://imslp.org/wiki/A_Hornepype_(Aston%2C_Hugh)

I came across it via the excellent article by John Ward on the Lancashire hornpipe and thought I might be able to do it on an anglo. Unfortunately the melody really requires the RH to go down to an E in the bass clef and up to an a above the treble clef - can you get that sort of range with the normal overlap on a duet? I guess you'd probably have to transpose it up anyway, since it goes down to the f below the bass clef, but we have to do that all the time with an anglo.

Adrian

...can you get that sort of range with the normal overlap on a duet?

There are many kinds of duets. I only know what you can do on a 46-key Hayden. Here’s the layout:

|        LEFT HAND            ||        RIGHT HAND
|                             ||
|                             ||  Bb  C   D
|   F   G   A   B             ||    F   G   A   B   C#
| Bb (C)  D   E   F#  G#      ||  Bb  C   D   E   F#  G#
|   F   G   A   B   C#  D#    ||    F   G   A   B   C#  D#
|     C   D   E   F#  G#      ||     (C)  D   E   F#  G#
|                             ||
|(5th Finger)       (Thumb)   ||  (Thumb)       (5th Finger)
| ======HAND STRAP========    ||   ======HAND STRAP========
|
|(C) = middle C (both hands).

As for the original question, I’ve toyed around with some Scarlatti harpsichord sonatas, but haven’t found one that doesn’t need transposition and/or octave shifts. Here’s my take on Satie’s first Gnossienne, also transposed to D minor (original piano version in F minor) and the left hand part condensed, octave-wise. Then, of course, there’s always Bach’s Minuet in G and the 2-Part Inventions.

A Hayden concertina player from Brazil sent me recently an adaptation for concertina of the score of a piece from Purcell. As he is playing a Stagi 46 buttons I think that it would be possible to play it on the Peacock as well. If you are interested to try it I can forward his e-mail to you. And if you want to listen to the music I have just posted it on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I02di8SWeio

Thanks for the responses, everyone! This certainly gives me some ideas. Actually, looking at some Bach 2-part inventions could be very fun, I think.

Adrian: For my 42b Peacock, there are quite a few notes in that piece in the bass that are outside the range. If the high note is the A on the first ledger line above the treble clef, you could transpose it up a minor third, but even then some of the low notes would be too low. Of course, if we wanted it all to be easy, we've picked the wrong instrument! :)

Best,

steven

A Hayden concertina player from Brazil sent me recently an adaptation for concertina of the score of a piece from Purcell. As he is playing a Stagi 46 buttons I think that it would be possible to play it on the Peacock as well. If you are interested to try it I can forward his e-mail to you. And if you want to listen to the music I have just posted it on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I02di8SWeio

Thanks. Nice playing.

I’ve been playing that tune for years as a Playford dance, but a very different arrangement. I’d be happy to see the music notation. My email address is in my sig, below.