Tune Of The Month For November, 2014: Trollspolska

Jim Besser

Great tune .Is there a quick way (ie converter) to change the key from Dm to say Am ?I am always changing tunes by long hand method. Bob

I use MuseScore notation s/w. Free for both Linux & Windows. It will import abc with an online plugin & transpose by key or interval.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my first go at the tune. I've played it before in band settings, but never by myself; doing so now made me realize I didn't really know the melody all that well! Turn your volume down; for some reason, Dropbox seems to crank up the volume of tunes.

I chose to pair it with Jody Kruskal's Hambo from Brooklyn, which I think is a much more interesting hambo. I've played Jody's hambo for dancers, and it always gets a much better response from the floor than most of the other hambos that get played around here.

Edited by Jim Besser

Here's my first go at the tune. I've played it before in band settings, but never by myself; doing so now made me realize I didn't really know the melody all that well! Turn your volume down; for some reason, Dropbox seems to crank up the volume of tunes.

I chose to pair it with Jody Kruskal's Hambo from Brooklyn, which I think is a much more interesting hambo. I've played Jody's hambo for dancers, and it always gets a much better response from the floor than most of the other hambos that get played around here.

Very nice, Jim. Very similar pace and pulse to that fiddle and nyckelharpa version.

I was doing a search and found some harmony parts:

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=www.thursdaycontra.com/~spuds/tunes/couple/allcouple/0101

Two harmony lines, one low and one high.

It's given me some ideas for including other instruments as well as concertina which may take a bit of time to work out. I will probably do some octave shifts in the harmony lines, though to make them better fit the instruments I have in mind. They will be fine as they are on concertina though but I do think the high harmony might be a bit squeaky at the top end on concertina.

I had no idea what a hambo was until this TOTM. (thought it was a type of soup :))

It was REALLY hard for me to play this on my G/D Anglo in Dm but here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/ariaqueezehammer

Well done; Dm on a GD Anglo is not easy.

Learning tunes in difficult, Anglo-unfriendly keys is a very valuable exercise. I should do more of it. Learning to play in Dm on a GD will stand you in good stead. But try Trollspolska in Em, and see how much more you can do with it!

Thanks Jim for your kind comments as always! Yours is very nice too and despite what you say I have a preference for your trollpolska than the second polska.

Danny, what a very nice nordic phrasing!

I had no idea what a hambo was until this TOTM. (thought it was a type of soup :))

It was REALLY hard for me to play this on my G/D Anglo in Dm but here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/ariaqueezehammer

Well done; Dm on a GD Anglo is not easy.

Learning tunes in difficult, Anglo-unfriendly keys is a very valuable exercise. I should do more of it. Learning to play in Dm on a GD will stand you in good stead. But try Trollspolska in Em, and see how much more you can do with it!

Agreed with Jim. Even harder than on a CG, I imagine. I play my CG in a wind band and we're in flat keys a lot of the time to suit the reeds and brass. As Jim says, it's good for getting to know your way around the instrument.

My simplified attempt: http://youtu.be/cPMtrldtd44

I have not come across this type of tune before, it has been a struggle, posting now to give it and long suffering wife a rest. Have I put some extra beats at the end of the A parts.

Played on Wheatstone model 22. When I replaced the thumb straps I drilled some fresh holes to allow straps to be 1 button lower. Finger rests are fastened with just 2 screws, to match. It suits my large hands and can be reversed.

My simplified attempt:

I have not come across this type of tune before, it has been a struggle, posting now to give it and long suffering wife a rest. Have I put some extra beats at the end of the A parts.

Played on Wheatstone model 22. When I replaced the thumb straps I drilled some fresh holes to allow straps to be 1 button lower. Finger rests are fastened with just 2 screws, to match. It suits my large hands and can be reversed.

Very nice job. It was a struggle for me to learn too. And now we know what hambos are!