Rob Harbron Masterclass At University Of Westminister

Haven't been around these parts much recently, but I thought I'd swing by to let you know about this great video I found last night. Rob Harbron did a great talk and bits of performance at Westminister, and they've uploaded it to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1cuieGmcy8

Well worth the watch; there's some lovely solo playing in there as well as some great tips on being a musician :)

Rob appears to be employing a trick of the trade which introduces an effect which is not so very different from that of tremolo, (and perhaps to a certain extent vibrato ?). In his case his tapping foot provides the momentum whereas in the case of tremolo a somewhat comparable effect emanates from a combination of shoulder, arm and wrist movement.

I really enjoyed this video, lovely playing by Rob and lots of good tips.

What do folks think of his advice on balancing the bellows across his knee and bouncing that knee in time to the music?

I do find myself doing that with the maccann. With heavier instruments I think it's the easiest way of getting a pulse into the bellows, whereas with an anglo I found I could do that more with my wrists.

Wonderful! When I saw the length I thought I would have to watch it in stages. I was so interested, however, that I watched it all in one sitting.

Steve

• 11 months later...
On 7/5/2017 at 9:56 AM, robotmay said:

I do find myself doing that with the maccann. With heavier instruments I think it's the easiest way of getting a pulse into the bellows, whereas with an anglo I found I could do that more with my wrists.

I've seen bandoneon players do something similar on the draw of the bellows using gravity as a help.

I put in a knee bounce myself on my EC TT when playing polskas - it helps get a pulse in the music, which is great for dancers.

3 minutes ago, SteveS said:

I put in a knee bounce myself on my EC TT when playing polskas - it helps get a pulse in the music, which is great for dancers.

Me too (as well for polkas f.i.), but I reckon it's not necessarily done directly via the bellows,  I for my part am applying the bounce via the right end which is resting on my right knee.

Best wishes - Wolf