New Tunes Thread

Mikefule

I have a tune I'd like to present, it's dedicated to my big sister, who is brave but going through tough times right now. It should go well on concertina or melodeon, it's very traditional sounding. I have the ABC, but you can also hear it, it resides on my website:

http://www.musicstudents.com/ebay/Catherine_the_Brave.mp3

Note that my recorded version is in A, not G, but I think the latter would go better with most concertinas and melodeons.

X: 1
T:Catherine the Brave
R:jig
M:6/8
L:1/8
K:G
D|:"G" GFG ABc| dBG e2 f | gfe dBG |"D" AGF E2 D |
"G" GFG ABc | dBG e2 f |"Em" gab "D" aga |1 "Em" e3 z2D :|2 "Em" e3 z2d |
"G" BGA BGE | "D" DFD "Em" E-E/2 F/2G/2A/2 | "Em" BGB "G" dBd | "D" edB A-A/2 G/2F/2G/2 |
"Em" E2D "G" GFE | "D" DED "Em" E-E/2 F/2G/2A/2 | "G" BGB "D" dBd | "Em" e3 z2D ||
"G" GFG ABc | dBG e2 f | gfe dBG |"D" AGF E2 D |
"G" GFG ABc | dBG e2 f |"Em" gab "D" aga |"Em" e3 z3 ||
Well, thanks for listening, and let me know if you like it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have posted this somewhere out here before. If so, do grumble at me. In any case it was written for a friend who plays whistle and hurry-gurdy and has a starfish hanging on her wall. Do play the alternate B section though, much more fun....

X:1
T:The Hanging Starfish
T:(for Judith Lindenau)
C:Chuck Boody 7/22/09
M:6/8
R:jig
K:Edor
|:"Em"efe edB|"D"AFG AFD|"Em"EFG "D"FGA|"G"GAB "D"ABd|
"Em"efe edB|"D"AFG AFD|"Em"EFG "D"FGA|1"G"BAG "D"ABd:|2"D"FED "Em"E3||
|:"Em"e3 g3|"D"aba afd|"Em"efe "Bm"def|"G"edB "D"dBA|
"Em"efe gag|"D"aba afd|"Em"efe "G"edB|1"Am"AFE "D"FAd:|2"D"AFD "Em"E3|]
P:Alternate (Preferred) B Section
|:"Em"e2 g2 e2|"D"aba afd|"Em"e2 "Bm"f2 "Em"e2|"G"edB "D"dBA|
"Em"e2 g2 e2|"D"aba afd|"Em"efe "G"edB|1"Am"A2 E2 "D"Ad:|2"D"AFD "Em"E3|
Added PDF

The Hanging Starfish.pdf

Edited by cboody

Yeah, that's pleasant enough.

Do you mean anything when you say "jig"? It does seem to make a passable waltz.

Yeah, that's pleasant enough.

Do you mean anything when you say "jig"? It does seem to make a passable waltz.

Only because it's laid out in 6/8 rather than 3/4. It can be played lively but I like it more slow and steady. The ABC wants me to put something there. Also the original template I copied said jig. I like to leave interpretation up to the player.

Only because it's laid out in 6/8 rather than 3/4. It can be played lively but I like it more slow and steady. The ABC wants me to put something there. Also the original template I copied said jig. I like to leave interpretation up to the player.

Ah, the old chestnut about classifying time signatures as tune types. It doesn't work and it never has. A 6/8 tune may be a jig, a slow march or, as in this instance, a very pretty slow air. Lovely tune but it's not a jig!

• 4 weeks later...

A new hornpipe. I like it played slowly like a proper slow hornpipe (rather than flat out in the modern style). I have written it down "dotted" but like many hornpipes, the natural rhythm to play it in is somewhere between dotted 2/4 and a heavily accented 6/8, rather than rigidly dotting it by exactly the written amount.

The name, "The Straight and Winding Road" arises from two recent trips across the Vale of Belvoir (East Midlands, UK), which is a sort of Bermuda triangle for navigators. The road always looks straight on the map, but somehow you always end up getting lost.

As with all new tunes that I write, I wonder if I have reconstructed it from a dim memory of another tune, so if anyone recognises an original source, please let me know.

X:10

T:The Straight and Winding Road

M:2/4

C:Michael Wilkinson

K:G

G2 B>A | G2 g2 | e>f g>e | d>B G2 |

e>f g>e | d>g d>B | G>F G>B | A4 |

G>A B>A | G>g f>d | e>g f>e | d>B G2 |

e>f g>e | d>g d>B | A>c B>A | G4::

G2 B>A | G2 D2 | G>A B>A | G2 D2 |

G>A B>A | G>B d>g | e>f g>e | d4 |

B>c d>c | B>G B>d | e>f g>e | d>B G2 |

e>f g>e | d>g d>B | A>c B>A | G4 :|]

post-2722-0-09353800-1372531314_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I write this simple waltz a few years ago. It's called "Easy Waltz" partly because it's easy, and partly because of a slight similarity of a phrase in the B music to the song "Be easy and free when you're drinking with me."

X:4

T:Easy Waltz

M:3/4

L:1/4

Z:Michael Wilkinson

K:D

A | d>c d/e/ | dAF | BAF | G2 F/G/ | A>B A/G/ | FDF | G A F | E2 A | d>c d/e/ | dAF | BAF | G2 F/G/ | A>B A/G/ | FDF | GFE | D2 D/E/|| FAF | G2 F/G/ | AdA | B2 B | AFA | BAF | BAF | E2 D/E/ | FAF | G2 F/E/| DdA | B2 B | AFD | EFD | EDC | D2 ||

Easy Waltz.pdf

• 4 months later...

this is great. I have only been playing concertina for a year+, but my friend wrote a really nice jig, and it got me thinking I'd like to give it a whirl. My first isn't that good, but it has a title I really like--Jiggle the Handle. Composed on 30 button anglo concertina. I play irish trad, pretty much, so, there ya go.

Thinking I'll keep working on this particular tune, but if you all wouldn't mind telling me what you (really!) think, I'd appreciate it.

T: Jiggle the Handle
R: jig
M: 6/8
L: 1/8
K: Amin
|:AGA AGA | cBA GED | CBC ~D2 | E^FG ABG |
AGA AGA | cBA GED | CBC DAB | cAG A2b:|
|:cBc dcd | e^fg a2b | age age | dcB cA^F |
GEA GED | CDE GED | CBC DAB | cAG A2b:|

It is rushing the season a bit but here's my Midwinter Waltz which gets some play here and there:

X:377
M:3/4
T:Midwinter Waltz
C:Chuck Boody 2006
R:Waltz
K:Emin
E2|"Em"B4 BB |"Am"c2 B2 A2 |"Em"G2 E2 G2|"B7"F4 E2|"Em"B4 BB|"G"c2B2 G2|"Am" A6-|"D"A4 E2|
"Em"B4 BB |"Am"c2 B2 A2 |"Em"G2 E2 G2|"Bm"F4 F2|"Em"E2 G2 B2|"D7" B2 A2 F2 |1"Em"E6-|E4 :|2"Em"E6-|E3 G "D7"Bd||
|: "G"g3 g g2|"D"f2 d2 d2|"C"e3 f g2|"G"d2 B2 G2|"Am"c3 d e2|"Em"d2 B2 G2|"A7"A6-|"D7"A3G Bd|
"G"g3 g g2|"D"f2 d2 d2 |"C"e3 f g2|"G"d2 B2 G2|"Am"c3 d e2|"D"d2 c2 F2|1"G"G6-|G3 G Bd:|2"G"G6-|G4|]

PDF later if I can figure out how.

Midwinter Waltz.pdf

Edited by cboody

My first isn't that good, but it has a title I really like--Jiggle the Handle.

Thinking I'll keep working on this particular tune, but if you all wouldn't mind telling me what you (really!) think, I'd appreciate it.

Seems to me that there are a few awkward jumps, but I suspect they're errors in your ABC notation, where you've put notes in the wrong octave. Specifically, I think the "CBC" (found three times) should be "CB,C" and the "A2b" (found twice) should be"A2B". (You will please tell me if I'm wrong.)

If I'm right, then I think this is the correct ABC:

|:AGA AGA | cBA GED | CB,C ~D2 | E^FG ABG |
AGA AGA | cBA GED | CB,C DAB | cAG A2B:|
GEA GED | CDE GED | CB,C DAB | cAG A2B:|

Here are a couple of rough recordings I made to show the difference.

Note in particular the high squeak at the end of each A and B part in the first version. That's the high "b" in your notation. ;)

And in both cases I've included a "b" (or "B") at the very end, taking the notation too literally, since I'm pretty sure that you want if left off on the very last time through the B part, i.e., to end on the"A2". That's not a criticism of your notational skills. I normally don't write ABC at all, and I wasn't able to play your tune (and find what I think are errors) until I used the Tune-O-Tron to convert it to standard notation.

P.S. A bit of a fun tune, I think. :)

Edited by JimLucas

My first isn't that good, but it has a title I really like--Jiggle the Handle.

Seems to me that there are a few awkward jumps, but I suspect they're errors in your ABC notation, where you've put notes in the wrong octave. Specifically, I think the "CBC" (found three times) should be "CB,C" and the "A2b" (found twice) should be"A2B". (You will please tell me if I'm wrong.)

If I'm right, then I think this is the correct ABC:

|:AGA AGA | cBA GED | CB,C ~D2 | E^FG ABG |
AGA AGA | cBA GED | CB,C DAB | cAG A2B:|
GEA GED | CDE GED | CB,C DAB | cAG A2B:|

Here are a couple of rough recordings I made to show the difference.

Note in particular the high squeak at the end of each A and B part in the first version. That's the high "b" in your notation. ;)

And in both cases I've included a "b" (or "B") at the very end, taking the notation too literally, since I'm pretty sure that you want if left off on the very last time through the B part, i.e., to end on the"A2". That's not a criticism of your notational skills. I normally don't write ABC at all, and I wasn't able to play your tune (and find what I think are errors) until I used the Tune-O-Tron to convert it to standard notation.

P.S. A bit of a fun tune, I think. :)

Absolutely, Jim, thanks for the corrections! and the kind words. you were right on about the jumps, that's my learning curve you're playing there! :)

ff

T:Midwinter Waltz

C:Chuck Boody 2006

PDF later if I can figure out how.

does this work?

Looks a bit weak on the staff lines on my screen, but seems OK otherwise. It is probably fine printed out. I have a copy here, but just haven't taken time to figure out how to put a PDF up here. Thanks for your efforts!

Looks a bit weak on the staff lines on my screen, but seems OK otherwise. It is probably fine printed out. I have a copy here, but just haven't taken time to figure out how to put a PDF up here. Thanks for your efforts!

It looked OK on my screen , but i did not try printing it. i used a program called CutePDF, which was a free download. It installs as a virtual printer. You select print in the usual way, then select CutePDF instead of your actual printer. It then prompts you to save the file .

regards,

John

It looked OK on my screen , but i did not try printing it. i used a program called CutePDF, which was a free download. It installs as a virtual printer. You select print in the usual way, then select CutePDF instead of your actual printer. It then prompts you to save the file .

regards,

John

Thanks for the info John. That's interesting. On the Mac, which I'm using, there is print to PDF built into the printing routines. But for my version I used the abcm2ps capabilities built into EasyABC.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...