New Tunes Thread

Mikefule

Following discussion in another thread, I've started this thread as a way of releasing new tunes into the wild. Feel free to post your tunes here too.

Once released, the tunes will be subject to the usual rules of Darwinian selection, so fee free to use them or ignore them.

I play harmonica and Anglo. My Jeffries is in B flat/F and my Dipper and Marcus are in G/D. As a Morris dancer, I am subject to Hohner's Law which dictates that all tunes must be in G or D for the melodeon wall of sound, so I tend to write them down in G or D and "think in G" even when playing the B flat/F box. I play in the chordal style so some of my harmonica tunes don't "fit" the Anglo well for me. Those tunes may fit better if you play mainly single notes and can put more of the melody on the left hand. I have no idea how they will sit on an English or Duet.

I am in the habit of using the mandolin tab ABC converter, just because it was he first one I found. It allows you to transpose to any key, convert to pdf, and play back as Midi, with chordal accompaniment. You can find it here: http://mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php

Here's the first tune, "Dave Ogden". My wife commented that it sounded like a "Scottish maritime tune" - I think she was influenced by the F major G major cadence at the end. It's therefore named after Dave Ogden who was skipper of a charter boat that used to sail out of Oban. I spent many happy days on Dave's boat out on the Sound of Mull and further out among the Western Isles. He died suddenly at the helm a few years ago. The boat was the MV Harry Slater which was originally from Douglas on the Isle of Man.

X:9

T:Dave Ogden

L:1/8

M:4/4

C:Michael Wilkinson

K:G

"G"G2 D2 GABG| "Am"c2 B2 "D"A3 c | "G"B2 G2 Bc d2 | "F"=f2 "Am"e2 "G"d4 |

"F"=f2 "Am"e2 "G"d2 Bc |dedB "Am"c2 Bc | "G"d2 G2 BcdG | "F"=F2 A2 "G"G4 ::

"F"=f2 "Am"e2 "G"d2 Bc | "G"d2 Bc dB G2 | "F"=f2 "Am"e2 "G"dedB | "Am"cdcA "F"=F2 F2 |

"G"GABG "D"cBcA | "G"GABG "Am"c2Bc | "G"d2 G2 BcdG | "F"=F2 A2 "G"G4 :|]

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one I wrote on harmonica, so if you play it on Anglo with chordal accompaniment it may be a bit hard to fit on.

The title is loosely based on the Duane Eddy tune, 40 Miles of Bad Road. There were 30 years between writing the A music and completely rewriting the B music.

X:2

T:30 Years of Bad Road

M:6/8

d | g>fg fed | g2 d B>cd | e>dc ABc | d3 e2f | g>fg fed |

g2 d B>cd | e>dc ABc | d>ef g2 :: d | g3 a3 | b<d'2 c'>ba |

b>ag gfe | d3 e2f | g2d a2d | b<d'2 c'>ba | bag d>ef | g3 :|]

post-2722-0-84039200-1366227493_thumb.jpg

I'd be interested in what you come up with. I'm learning more about which chords work all the time. It wasn't an issue on harmonica, but I am widening my palette on the Anglo.

Smashing little tune Mike, keep them coming!

So here is my, well, sort of a demo, of my spontanous approach to your "Dave Ogdon", in order to demonstrate some modifications in the chording (just kept it within GMix, which should be regarded as just one way of understanding the tune).

I wished to have been capable of delivering a more polished version (including some more self-explaining chords), but this is as far as it gets by now, just before entering the new working week.

Again, really like it! :)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Here is a little worm tune that bores into your brain.I have not added any chords, or arrangement and it has no name,but have I pinched it from somewhere?I have a few hammered dulcimer friends that would enjoy playing this little waltz.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Al

Edited by Alan Day

Hmmm Al,

it does sound like you have another tune in mind and once you commence with an opening like that and it follows a logical path to some obvious continuing phrases. So, although I cannot think of the title of a tune it reminds me of I would not be claiming it yet if I were you.

Nice though!

Monday morning after Blowzabella Day weekend here in Limousin.. :blink:

Cheers,

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Hmmm Al,

it does sound like you have another tune in mind and once you commence with an opening like that and it follows a logical path to some obvious continuing phrases. So, although I cannot think of the title of a tune it reminds me of I would not be claiming it yet if I were you.

Nice though!

Monday morning after Blowzabella Day weekend here in Limousin.. :blink:

Cheers,

Geoff.

It does seem such a simple tune ,like an invention you always feel someone has thought of it before.

Thanks for the listen

Al

Are not all tunes, in at least some respect, derivative of tunes that have gone before ? Of course they are !

A both "new" and promising tune would be IMO the one that you find familiar at first listen but can't find in the archieves when searching for the predecessor B)

I think that it is a lot to do with patterns of play and when you go down a different route to what you have done before in a lot of cases it certainly is a new tune to you.One of the benefits of being old.

Al

One of my old tunes. I used to play this a lot on harmonica.

X:3

T:By The Willow Tree

M:2/4

Z:Michael Wilkinson

K:D

A | d2 dc | B2 Bc | dc BA | F2 FA | d2 dc | Bc de |

f>g af | eg fe | d2 dc | B2 Bc | dc BA | G2 FE |

D>C DE | FD FA | B/c/d ec | d3 :: A | d>e dc |

Bc dB | AB/c/ dA | F2 A2 | d>e fe |dc BA |

B/c/d cd | e>g fe | d>e dc | Bc dB | AB/c/ dA |

G2 FE | D>C DE | FD FA | B/c/d ec | d3 :|]

X:5
T:The Hanging Jig
z2 d | g2g gfg | bag d2d | e2f g2b | d'c'b agf | g2g gfg |
bag d2d | efg b2a | g3 :: b2c' | d'2d' d'c'b |b>c'd' gab |
c'bc' abc' | d'bg a>bc' | d'2d' g'f'e' |d'e'c' abc' |
d'2d' d'c'b | a3 :||

Unfortunately I ABC'd this an octave too high for easy reading. The pdf is therefore transposed down an octave. This is one I wrote in the early 1980s and used to play regularly at Nottingham Traditional Music Club. I revived it recently. It started life as a harmonica tune.

The Hanging Jig.pdf

I'm not sure about your reason for transposing the PDF but not the ABC as well.

Just in case it might be helpfull I've just got it done by EasyABS. It reads as follows then:

X:5
K:Gmaj
K:Gmaj
z2 D | G2G GFG | BAG D2D | E2F G2B | dcB AGF | G2G GFG |
BAG D2D | EFG B2A | G3 :: B2c | d2d dcB |B>cd GAB |
cBc ABc | dBG A>Bc | d2d gfe |dec ABc |
d2d dcB | A3 :|

Thank you again for providing your stuff... :)

Edited by blue eyed sailor