Help Identidying Pearl Queen

---Geo---

Hey guys,

So while helping clean my 96-year-old great grandpa's house, I came across this Queen Pearl accordion. I know nothing about accordions, concertinas, or anything of that sort, so I was really hoping you guys could give me little rundown on this particular instrument.

It seems to have all it's original abalone topped buttons, says "PEARL QUEEN" on it, and also has a sticked from where it was purchased. The sticker says, "H.A. Becker Music Hpuse 'Everything Knowk In Music' 601 Ohio St. N.S. Pittsburg, PA"

I thought it was intresting how the label says "Pittsburg" instead of "Pittsburgh". I know the story of the "H", and think this might add to it's value?

Well, see what you guys can tell me. Thanks!

Side View

Front View

Buttons

Sticker Close-Up

Edited by ---Geo---

Look here for info on prices for this sort of concertina (though it hasn't been updated since 2007), here for a chart that may help you date yours, and here for a good general article on this type of concertina, which is known as a Chemnitzer.

Daniel

Hey guys,

So while helping clean my 96-year-old great grandpa's house, I came across this Queen Pearl accordion. I know nothing about accordions, concertinas, or anything of that sort, so I was really hoping you guys could give me little rundown on this particular instrument.

It seems to have all it's original abalone topped buttons, says "PEARL QUEEN" on it, and also has a sticked from where it was purchased. The sticker says, "H.A. Becker Music Hpuse 'Everything Knowk In Music' 601 Ohio St. N.S. Pittsburg, PA"

I thought it was intresting how the label says "Pittsburg" instead of "Pittsburgh". I know the story of the "H", and think this might add to it's value?

Well, see what you guys can tell me. Thanks!

Side View

Front View

Buttons

Sticker Close-Up

Hello Geo,

I'm Ken, the guy behind ConcertinaMusic.com.

You could have contacted us through our web site for more information, but we don't mind answering your question here either. After all, others may be interested in the response as well.

What you have found is your Great-Grandfather's 76-key (38 button) chemnitzer-type concertina, probably tuned to the key of C (when you press the button labeled with a "5" on the right-hand side and push the bellows it will produce an "A" note). Being 76-key would also likely make it a double reed model, meaning that two reeds "sound" for every button pressed. If the outside dimensions of the end are about 8 inches by 8 inches, that confirms it is probably a double reed model. Concertinas with three or four reeds for each button obviously require more room and would have larger dimensions.

The exterior finish is wood; typical for the entry-level Pearl Queen instruments made during this period. Finish options started with plain wood, then wood with a simple silver wire inlay making simple outline patterns in the wood. The next step up included small "pearl" pieces inlaid with the silver wire (usually in delicate flower patterns). For the next best model, the wood finish would be covered in black lacquer (with the silver wire and pearl inlay). The high-end Pearl Queen concertinas had an all abalone shell finish, with only a very few having the abalone arranged in a type of very intricate diamond 'staircase' pattern.

The Patek and Pearl Queen chemnitzer concertinas (different brands, but identical instruments) were the mainstay of the Polish American music scene 50 to 75 years ago. Patek concertinas were manufactured for Rudy Patek and sold by him and various other retailers throughout the Midwest, mostly during the 1920s through the 1950s. The Pearl Queen brand was manufactured for retailers (Otto) Georgi & (Louis) Vitak and later, (Louis) Vitak & (Joseph) Elsnic. Often times you will find the names of these retailers somewhere on the instrument (or inside the instrument) or the carrying case. The Patek and Pearl Queen concertinas were actually made in Chicago under contract by Otto Schlicht and his associates. Schlicht was quite the concertina technician and innovator, being responsible for most of the features in modern chemnitzer concertinas. Yours being sold in Pittsburg(h) indicates that it was being resold either by a distributor under Georgi & Vitak or as a used instrument.

The size, type, and finish all help date this as a relatively early model Pearl Queen; likely from the 1920s or 1930s. If you look at the bottom of the right-hand side, wooden hand strap bracket, you should find a number stamped into the wood. You can cross-reference this number against the data base on our web site, or contact us with the number and we can help you determine a more accurate manufacture date.

As you may already know, these vintage instruments are cherished more for their nostalgic value rather than their musical quality. The early concertinas generally do not have the sound quality that make the instrument more desirable to today's professional musicians and serious hobbyists, although some specific early models are known to be exceptional performers.

Valuing these 'organic' instruments is always difficult. So many variables can affect their eventual sales price. If it is in good playing condition; all buttons operate, all reeds operate, no air leaks (you can suspend the 'box from one handle with little or no leaks), good finish (no chips or cracks), good bellows leather, no musty or mildew odor, all reeds in good tune, etc.; this particular model could be worth as much as $500. If it has any defects or problems, usually only detectable by an experienced chemnitzer musician or technician, it could be worthless. Unfortunately, being from a store in Pittsburg(h) does not necessarily add to it's value.

I hope that this information is helpful. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Ken

http://www.concertinamusic.com/sbox/contact/contactus.html