New Bellows

I need new bellows for an old Lachenal I've had laying for years. Has anyone here purchased bellows from Sandylaneman on ebay?? If so, what was your experience and opinion. Thanks!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Concertina-Parts-Replacement-Bellows-/112576270680?hash=item1a36119158:g:ue8AAOxyVX1RscDW

Edited by Sandy Winters

Yes.

I bought a set of bellows from sandylaneman a couple of years ago and fitted them to a Lachenal 'New Model' English. They are more the thickness suitable for an anglo but the leather and hinges are supple enough that it does not impede movement. The result is airtight and looks fine. Not quite the bellows one would get from Wakker or Dipper but sufficient for most purposes... and certainly 'playable'.

My main, 'Band /session' instrument is an old Wheatstone with a replacement bellows by Wakker which is just the right weight for an English, the best working bellows I have ever had, if not quite the neatest. Most of the concertinas I have owned through the years have had their original bellows.

I had Wakker fit new bellows to my Stagi Anglo some years ago, and it's been twice the instrument it was ever since!

That was back in the days when Wakker was still in the Netherlands, so more or less next door. I sent him the old bellows, and he built the new one on the existing frame, so it fitted perfectly. In those days, he made a distinction between English and Anglo bellows - the Anglo bellows being "stouter", with less resiliance, so the bellows direction changes are more immediate, but with no stiffness involved. IMO, it is important for the maker to make this distinction between EC and Anglo bellows - I suppose a Duet would call for EC-type, softer bellows.

Cheers,

John

While I agree with most of what has already been said, I would add that I have found Sandylaneman to be reliable, prompt with both communication and delivery, and most helpful.

He would appear to make more than just one grade of bellows, and understands the needs of players of particular types of concertina and styles of music. The price mentioned in his eBay ad is for his standard bellows though; so be prepared to pay a little more for a better build and "extras" (extra folds, papers, gold tooling plus fitting to bellows frames), which is not at all unreasonable imho, and still seems better value than some other sources.

My recommendation would be to contact him direct if possible, or via eBay message, to discuss exactly your needs, rather than just hitting the eBay sold button and expecting to pay the base price.

(My only criticism of the man is that he can't spell Maccann, probably in common with 90% of the subscribers to this site, so I won't hold that against him! :rolleyes: )

While I agree with most of what has already been said, I would add that I have found Sandylaneman to be reliable, prompt with both communication and delivery, and most helpful.

He would appear to make more than just one grade of bellows, and understands the needs of players of particular types of concertina and styles of music. The price mentioned in his eBay ad is for his standard bellows though; so be prepared to pay a little more for a better build and "extras" (extra folds, papers, gold tooling plus fitting to bellows frames), which is not at all unreasonable imho, and still seems better value than some other sources.

My recommendation would be to contact him direct if possible, or via eBay message, to discuss exactly your needs, rather than just hitting the eBay sold button and expecting to pay the base price.

(My only criticism of the man is that he can't spell Maccann, probably in common with 90% of the subscribers to this site, so I won't hold that against him! :rolleyes: )

MacCann ,Mc,Cann Maccann...... uh... guilty.... after all I cannot even spell 'Wolf' properly! :P

Edited by Geoff Wooff

MacCann ,Mc,Cann Maccann...... uh... guilty.... after all I cannot even spell 'Wolf' properly! :P

Well, you did that to great success here, didn't you? :)

Well, you did that to great success here, didn't you? :)

You should have signed your message, Wolf! ;)

didn't want to risk getting the spelling wrong myself I guess ?

Since you are here in the US, you may want to contact Greg Jowaisas. He makes high-end bellows himself, but also offers a service where he fits the sandylaneman bellows to your existing bellows frames. Good luck!