Vintage Gremlin 30B Anglo In C/g For Sale

nkgibbs

I've got one of these.

I rather like it!! It was my second concertina and I've kept it since moving on to a Marcus.

Mind you the hand rests were too close to the buttons for my hands so I moved them by 10mm and increased the height to 38 mm - oh, I had to move the air button as well.

Jake

Jake,

Thanks for your comments.

Can I suggest that the distance from the hand rest to the bottom row of buttons on this concertina could be described as 'average'. It is slightly less than a 30b Lachenal and slightly more than a 45b Jeffries.

post-937-0-81463700-1433802812_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Neil

I'm definitely interested so I'm keeping a close watch on the bidding, though I have a feeling that my limited funds will keep me from being able to snatch it up... I'm starting out so it would make a great instrument.

Couple of questions though:

Do you have any idea how much shipping would cost to get it to the USA?

Also, you list it as the bellows being in excellent condition, is it because these are new bellows? Or have they just held up the test of time well?

Finally, the pictures you have on the eBay page seem to possibly show two different concertinas, one with marbled red beveled end plates and the other with pure black straight edge end plates. Which photos are accurate?

Thanks!

Dear Bluejacket,

Thanks for your questions:

- Shipping to the US would be $40

- As far as I know, the bellows are original and being well made, have lasted well.

- I can assure you that there is only one concertina in the photos! The metal ends and shiny black surfaces of the bellows ends made photography very difficult……what you are seeing as 'marbled red' areas is just the reflection of the red velvet that the concertina was photographed on. I need photography lessons!

Best regards,

Neil

• 5 months later...

Hi Neil,
Sorry for bumbing this up on the board again, I just found the post and wanted to say thanks!
Your old Gremlin is now playing in Denmark. I was playing a 20 button Lachenal before and I am actually very happy with the trade :)
One button didn't work though, but it's the low C and I can live with that for now.

I understand there are quite a few different Gremlins out there, starting with the first ones made in the UK around 1980, and I am wondering if this is one of the 60 saxons made by A.C.Norman before Stagi (it doesn't have the Stagi name on it, only "The Gremlin") or if it's a later one from Hobgoblin? Again it doesn't have any other name on it besides "The Gremlin" and it has metal buttons and metal ends with the saxon fretwork, but I don't know how to tell the different Gremlins apart from eachother?

Does anyone know?

But anyway, thanks Neil, I gave it a good new home :)
All the best,

Sue

Hi Neil,

Sorry for bumbing this up on the board again, I just found the post and wanted to say thanks!

Your old Gremlin is now playing in Denmark. I was playing a 20 button Lachenal before and I am actually very happy with the trade :)

One button didn't work though, but it's the low C and I can live with that for now.

Hvor i Danmark bor du? I live in Helsingør. If you're not too far away, I could take a look at it and see if it's something I could fix.