Your Favourite Concertina Youtubes!

Ptarmigan

OK So what are your all time favourite Concertina YouTubes?

I don't know if this has been tried before, but here goes anyway.

Who knows, if we make a really good job of it this time, perhaps the nice people up at C.net HQ will think about making this thread easily accessible to us all & fix it, as a sticky, at the top of the board. ;)

Anyway, to get us started, here are some of my favourites, which I'm sure you all know.

Being an Anglo player myself, you won't be surprised to see my first one. For me, this one is essential viewing for all Anglo players & a lesson in how it should be done ... tastefully, & at just the right speed. The video was well taken too, which always helps.

1 ~ Anglo Concertina:

My second, since I'm now the proud owner of a lovely old Wheatstone, is this fine bit of playing on an English.

{ Still showing my Irish musical roots with this one though! } ;)

2 ~ English Concertina Paddy Taylor's, on English concertina

Next, sticking with the English, but getting away from the Irish style this time, as I fumble around trying to find all the notes with ease on my Wheatstone, I am enjoying this series of videos for the complete beginner on the English Concertina. Here's Part 1:

3 ~ English Concertina

Not much out there on the Tenor/Treble, but I enjoyed this one, especially the sound of those gorgeous low notes.

4 ~ Tenor/Treble Concertina Love's Farewell on a Tenor-Treble Concertina

As for the Duet Concertina. This has to be my favourite, so far.

5 ~ Duet Concertina Hayden Duet Concertina: Waltz Medley

Must not forget the Baritone. It's hard to resist the wonderful sound of these beasties, isn't it!

6 ~ Bass-Baritone Concertina

I'm sure you have all stumbled onto some real crackers, which some of us might have missed, so go on, please share them with us, don't keep them all to yourselves! ;)

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

Well, I'm glad you liked my waltzes on Hayden duet! I'm working on another waltz...and a polka...and another cakewalk tune...and a jazz/soundtrack tune...and an old-time tune or two...and a Tex-Mex fiddle tune. Some are getting close.

Here's my favorite concertina video on YouTube I think, even though it's cut off at the beginning and end, and the sound is pretty bad. Brian Peters playing "Dallas Rag":

Great tune, I wish I could play like that. And holding the concertina in the air too! I've tried that a few times, and it seems hopeless.

• Like 1

I suppose I see a lot of YouTube, and every week there is always a new favorite. I can say there are about 5 that I saved, and play along with.

I just found this one:

I listened to it for about an hour and a half and it's still amazing

Leo

• Like 1

I just found this one:

I listened to it for about an hour and a half and it's still amazing

Thanks, Leo.

"Stairway to Heaven" has been a long-time favourite. An old school friend of mine, Ray Homewood (he played Anglo for a little while, but that's another story), was a good guitarist. He was in the Army 1977/80, and spent his last 18 months in Germany, based at Paderborn. He quickly learnt to speak German (very gifted with languages) and formed a guitar and vocal duo with a German student named Sammy. Ray's party piece was "Stairway to Heaven".

Anyway, Ray left the Army in late summer 1980, and suggested that we might pay a visit to his friends in Paderborn. We went for almost a week, seeing in the New Year 1981. When we arrived at where Sammy had his flat, one of the girls who knew Ray, spotted him, rushed out, threw herself at him, and insisted that he play "Stairway to Heaven". It had been a long journey by trains, boat, and more trains, and we were travelling light. So; a guitar was found, and within minutes, Ray was playing the request.

As an aside, during our few days in Paderborn, one evening we went to a pub called the "Red House" for a couple of beers. Ray, two of his friends, and myself. 10 years later, at the Willie Clancy week, in County Clare, someone (not one of Ray's friends) in my concertina class recognised me from the "Red House", yet I didn't start playing concertina until I had been back from Germany for two months!

Some months back, I looked at the music for "Stairway to Heaven", thinking that I might send it to a friend. It would sound good on concertina.

Peter.

• Like 1

"Stairway to Heaven" has been a long-time favourite.

Some months back, I looked at the music for "Stairway to Heaven", thinking that I might send it to a friend. It would sound good on concertina.

Peter.

Hi Peter

Looks like John Mock and his Morse heard you ;). Now if I can only find their Metallica album. :o

Thanks B)

Leo

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcI6FHp4Vg0

I have enjoyed this one a number of times. Percy and Mary Horni 1933

Mary MacNamara and Martin Hayes.....magic

It is, Mark - and there is one more magic thing about it: in the YouTube processing, the was cut, thank you very much.

In the original clip, on "Come West Along the Road", someone at RTE hadn't really understood that trad muscians will

tap their feet, in this case very close to the microphone stand on the floor :ph34r:

/Henrik

• Like 1

Definitely Ernestine Healy's "Trip to London" Comhaltas video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoPKvrD-9jw

Smooth as silk.

Ah, Jim - I couldn't agree more -

And there is something about playing in acoustically "live" surroundings,

in rooms like that (probably a hallway in a school) isn't there? Personally,

I am very fond of playing in places like that (but that is another thread).

/Henrik

• Like 1

Here are two fine young Anglo players with very different styles.

Mairéad Corridan on Irish Concertina :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVdxnya3bKY

Ernestine Healy on Concertina with a Selection of Reels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRLyErS-W4M

It is wonderful playing, for sure, but occurs to me, when I hear tunes being played like this, especially Mairéad's playing, i.e. so slowly & with LOADS & LOADS of ornamentation, that perhaps Irish Concertina playing might be going the same way as some of the Irish Dancing, where they have a habit of slowing the music right down to almost a snails pace ..... just so that they can fit in ever more fancy dance steps! :unsure:

Cheers

Dick

• 4 years later...

Here's my favorite concertina video on YouTube I think, even though it's cut off at the beginning and end, and the sound is pretty bad. Brian Peters playing "Dallas Rag": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZeRHg6RUM

Great tune, I wish I could play like that. And holding the concertina in the air too! I've tried that a few times, and it seems hopeless.

Here's a later recording of the whole tune, what a player!

Brian Peters plays the Dallas Rag

• Like 1

Probably everyone has heard this one, but to me it is a great example of folks really having a good time...and playing exceptionally well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76pki2qxpho

Oh! and anything by Rachel Hall (who wrote her dissertation on a topic not far from what mine was originally to be...but she's a mathematician and I'm a musician :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu_8YMWJZc0

Edited by cboody
  • Like 1

Probably everyone has heard this one, but to me it is a great example of folks really having a good time...and playing exceptionally well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76pki2qxpho

That's definitely one of those I might have mentioned, too.

Now that I actually don't have to I would point to just another one which I believe anyone has heard as well (and is not here as yet, or did I overlook that?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqcosJHAepA

Had been quite an inspiration albeit not having chosen the Anglo (or the Duet as he did later on as I seem to recall)...

• Like 1

Brian Peters came to Seattle a couple of years ago and did a short concertina workshop as well as two concerts in the area. The concerts were very entertaining and I was amazed by his concertina work at the concerts, it was all done standing up with his hands in the air. He put on a great show, lots of good music (including the Dallas Rag) and delightful commentary in between on the background of the pieces. He was onstage for two hours and switched off frequently between concertina, accordion and guitar so there was a continual variety of sound. I didn't know much of Brian before his Seattle visit, but I bought four of his CDs while he was here and I listen to them frequently.

I also had the good fortune to see Jeff play Whistling Rufus on his Anglo (at one of our Seattle concertina gatherings) before he switched to Duet.

• Like 1