Arthritic Hands

Kelteglow

Hi ALL I have osteo arthritus in my hands and I am wondering what to do .I love playing my Anglo concertina's but is it doing me harm or is it good for finger exercise ? The problem started in my Thumb's and is spreading to the knuckle's in the thumb and first fingers. Any Idea's ? Bob

Edited by KelTekgolow

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have arthritis in my shoulders and elbows from a previous injury. When my hands begin to tire or hurt I soak in warm water with sea or epsom salts. I also rub on traumeel or tiger balm and if it is a really bad day I will take a couple of advil for arthritis. However for best results I periodically get acupuncture which reduces the pain and swelling for a time. I swear by it.

rss

Edited by Randy Stein

I'm pushing 60. In my early 40s and as a full-time folk musician I began experiencing pain and joint problems of osteo that both parents had. The doctors couldn't do a whole lot for me but one day in the library I saw a book called the "Arthritis Cure" and took it home and read it. It explained the possible beneficial effects of glucosamine and chondroitin suppliments. The book made sense to me and I tracked down and tried the suppliments (It takes 6-8 weeks to take effect). It helped me a great deal and I've been able to continue to play music and be more optimistic about the future.

Since then it has become much easier to find the suppliments which now grace every pharmacy and grocery vitamin and suppliment shelf.

I believe results vary from individual to individual. The chondroitin glucosamine is usually derived from shellfish so seafood allergies are a consideration. Clinical testing shows some beneficial effects. Might be worth your time to investigate.

Good luck! Arthritis is no fun.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

I'm pushing 60. In my early 40s and as a full-time folk musician I began experiencing pain and joint problems of osteo that both parents had. The doctors couldn't do a whole lot for me but one day in the library I saw a book called the "Arthritis Cure" and took it home and read it. It explained the possible beneficial effects of glucosamine and chondroitin suppliments. The book made sense to me and I tracked down and tried the suppliments (It takes 6-8 weeks to take effect). It helped me a great deal and I've been able to continue to play music and be more optimistic about the future.

Since then it has become much easier to find the suppliments which now grace every pharmacy and grocery vitamin and suppliment shelf.

I believe results vary from individual to individual. The chondroitin glucosamine is usually derived from shellfish so seafood allergies are a consideration. Clinical testing shows some beneficial effects. Might be worth your time to investigate.

Good luck! Arthritis is no fun.

Greg

Hi

I'm also pushing 60 - but from the wrong side!!!!!

A company called Healthspan' based in Jersey (Channel Islands) sell Chondroitin products that have a vegetable base and so are ok for vegetarians.

good luck

chris

Thanks for your replys and E Mails .Here is the latest---.Pror to my hand problems I had been playing a lot and probably overworked my hands .I did several events playing for Cornish dance and Morris also several Pub sessions .I think it was playing for Morris with the following pub session that gave me the joint pains. I tend to pump my G/D quite hard harmony style .I have not played for one week .It seem's odd I love playing my concertina's.

The doctor has given me anti-inflamatory's he also thinks I have some tendonotis looks like I will have to rest up for a while .Now all I need is a sore throat to disable be completly ,well that's life , All The Best Bob

Edited by KelTekgolow

Thanks for your replys and E Mails .Here is the latest---.Pror to my hand problems I had been playing a lot and probably overworked my hands .I did several events playing for Cornish dance and Morris also several Pub sessions .I think it was playing for Morris with the following pub session that gave me the joint pains. I tend to pump my G/D quite hard harmony style .I have not played for one week .It seem's odd I love playing my concertina's.

The doctor has given me anti-inflamatory's he also thinks I have some tendonotis looks like I will have to rest up for a while .Now all I need is a sore throat to disable be completly ,well that's life , All The Best Bob

From a sore throat sufferer: it will pass. But the hands problems will not. While I think you need to look at vitamins, supplements and acupuncture it is also advisable to try some massage. Especially around the joints. There are many various types of massage, but all of them share the same benefits - re-supplying fluids to dry muscles, mobilizing joints, helping with lymphatic drainage, which in turn helps with immunity. Benefits are plentiful. But ask for light work around your finger joints. No pulling though. Sometimes these guys begin to pull at your fingers, hate this. If you are lucky and run into a guy/gal who specialize in Neuro Muscular Repatterning (or reprogramming), they may track tension in your muscles to the source (anywhere in the body). And by turning the right muscles they may prolong your playing life significantly.

I just 'tweeted' some links on Twitter and thought I'd post them here too, regarding hands.

I seem to have some arthritis, but, whatever the case, I definitely have hand & finger troubles. I am currently recovering (I hope) from lymphangitis (in an arm, but related to the hand/wrist) which required daily IV antibiotics for 8 days, and so on.

My never-ending search for a way out of this trouble has lead me to a few good finds:

Flents Finger Sleeves

and

wrist warmers by AlyTheRed (on Etsy)

Also, today I received the tether ball I ordered, so I can punch a ball every now and then to keep my arms and hands 'awake' or whatever.

I am also using plain old cut-off socks to cover my wrists while they heal, but the wrist warmers I found on Etsy are much nicer looking, of course, and will keep cold wrists/hands warm.

Re sizes...

I see that there's a man's size of the wrist warmers.

The Flents, well.... personally, I only like the largest sizes, for my thumbs. The small sizes seem too small. And, keep in mind, the idea with these is 'compression.' They are meant to be a bit snug. Thus, it takes a bit to pull them onto the finger or thumb.

One other thing I've gotten, lately -- two, actually; one for each arm -- is a compression wrap. Compression is a neat thing, sometimes. Since I had an infection, I've tried and found effective to use tea tree oil on my skin, wrap it with gauze or cloth, then wrap up in the compression wraps for a few hours.

Getting much better. I go to a dermatologist tomorrow, but I've improved so much in the past 24 hours that I'm afraid she won't have much to look at!

I just 'tweeted' some links on Twitter and thought I'd post them here too, regarding hands.

I seem to have some arthritis, but, whatever the case, I definitely have hand & finger troubles. I am currently recovering (I hope) from lymphangitis (in an arm, but related to the hand/wrist) which required daily IV antibiotics for 8 days, and so on.

My never-ending search for a way out of this trouble has lead me to a few good finds:

Flents Finger Sleeves

and

wrist warmers by AlyTheRed (on Etsy)

Also, today I received the tether ball I ordered, so I can punch a ball every now and then to keep my arms and hands 'awake' or whatever.

I am also using plain old cut-off socks to cover my wrists while they heal, but the wrist warmers I found on Etsy are much nicer looking, of course, and will keep cold wrists/hands warm.

Re sizes...

I see that there's a man's size of the wrist warmers.

The Flents, well.... personally, I only like the largest sizes, for my thumbs. The small sizes seem too small. And, keep in mind, the idea with these is 'compression.' They are meant to be a bit snug. Thus, it takes a bit to pull them onto the finger or thumb.

One other thing I've gotten, lately -- two, actually; one for each arm -- is a compression wrap. Compression is a neat thing, sometimes. Since I had an infection, I've tried and found effective to use tea tree oil on my skin, wrap it with gauze or cloth, then wrap up in the compression wraps for a few hours.

Getting much better. I go to a dermatologist tomorrow, but I've improved so much in the past 24 hours that I'm afraid she won't have much to look at!

If warmth is a factor how about the style of mitten which consists of a conventional (thermal?) glove with the finger and thumb-tips left bare? Easy enough to construct using sharp scissors. A tight fit should also provide some compression.

Hi Rod,

Well... I have actually played my concertina while wearing fitted, stretchy gloves, before. BUT -- it's quite a clumsy performance. (A nice excuse, maybe, for 'why I made all those mistakes in that song' :lol: .)

I have, too, managed to play 'not-so-bad' while wearing plastic disposable food-handling gloves (baggy, not fitted latex type). They are good if the hands have too much arthritis medicine or whatever on them at the time. Keeps the oils off the instrument, and can be a good way to take the time and give the hands a 'spa' treatment by keeping them oiled & wrapped while playing.

I seem to have allergies, at least as part of my package deal of troubles. I never used to, when I was younger, but as of ten years ago or so, I've noticed that all I have to do is step outside my door and my arms will magically sprout red dots. I've always just said, 'poison sumac,' but I dunno. Anyway, the red dots have gotten meaner, though it's likely some other thing.

Point is, I wanted the wrist warmers to wear even now when the weather is warming up around here, and not just while playing my concertina. Preferable to wearing any kind of gloves all the time.

If I ever get through all of this (while on this side of the turf) and I can still play the concertina, and maybe have even improved my playing, I'll write the book...

Edited by bellowbelle

I'm 70 and have had joint problems off and on over the years as well as sporadic tendonitis and ganglia. Currently it's been the left shoulder which is inflamed. I find anti infamtories like naproxen work taken occasionally and once or twice I have had a cortisone jab into the joint. last year i had a ganglon on the little finger syringed.

overall I keep playing but do something different when it gets too bad.

Just recently I've been playing a heavier Crabb 40 button anglo and that ha made it hurt. the lighter 26 button jeffries is fine and I've played in some 6 hour sessions at festivals and got through the Swaledale squeeze weekend with just a couple of Ibobrufens .

about 8 years ago i ha really bad arthritis, bone on bone in the knees and thought that was me wrecked for good . I decided not to have a joint replacement and just rested the legs. Now I can walk in the hills and swim but not run nay more. I tried glucosamine but it gives me indigestion so i just eat a lot of oily fish.

Rest and recuperation I reckon with pain and inflamation relief as necessary. And good posure while playing

I'm 70 and have had joint problems off and on over the years as well as sporadic tendonitis and ganglia. Currently it's been the left shoulder which is inflamed. I find anti infamtories like naproxen work taken occasionally and once or twice I have had a cortisone jab into the joint. last year i had a ganglon on the little finger syringed.

overall I keep playing but do something different when it gets too bad.

Just recently I've been playing a heavier Crabb 40 button anglo and that ha made it hurt. the lighter 26 button jeffries is fine and I've played in some 6 hour sessions at festivals and got through the Swaledale squeeze weekend with just a couple of Ibobrufens .

about 8 years ago i ha really bad arthritis, bone on bone in the knees and thought that was me wrecked for good . I decided not to have a joint replacement and just rested the legs. Now I can walk in the hills and swim but not run nay more. I tried glucosamine but it gives me indigestion so i just eat a lot of oily fish.

Rest and recuperation I reckon with pain and inflamation relief as necessary. And good posure while playing

Michael, are we to assume that the little picture which accompanies all your postings is an example of what you mean by 'Good Posture' ?

RSI? Posture?

Well, there's 'voice recognition' software for people who can't type or use hands... maybe there could someday be a 'finger recognition' software for the concertina. It would be like playing 'air guitar,' but would be 'air concertina.' Hmmmm. :huh: :D

And the best posture is to be curled up on the couch on a bunch of pillows, of course! So far, I can play my concertina this way, but haven't figured out how to play an accordion or a foot bass that way.

Seriously, though -- so far my concertina has been fairly easy to play in spite of my hand/etc. problems. As compared to other instruments, that is. I do credit my years of guitar-struggling (i.e., 'playing') with having conditioned me for using all the muscles involved, though. Guitar practice taught me that there's no way out, you simply have to do it, but once you've conditioned your fingers, you won't forget it.

It would be like playing 'air guitar,' but would be 'air concertina.' Hmmmm. :huh: :D

Theremin, wonderful performance. I'm into Theremins from the listener side, but this one is one of the best.

. Good look, great sound, superb ergonomics. Did I mention good look? (It's only a short demo)

It would be like playing 'air guitar,' but would be 'air concertina.' Hmmmm. :huh: :D

Theremin, wonderful performance. I'm into Theremins from the listener side, but this one is one of the best.

. Good look, great sound, superb ergonomics. Did I mention good look? (It's only a short demo)

SSSOOOOO cool! Will 'favorite' those for sure. Amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting old remedy for arthritis pains has just been sent through to me in amongst other old fashioned remedies

Rolled Oats for Pain Relief

Mix 2 Cups of Rolled Oats (Porridge) and One Cup of water in a bowl and microwave for one minute, cool slightly and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

Al