Tunes for the 4th Plinth in Trafalgar Square

daveball

Thanks so much everybody for all your suggestions. I had a great time - if very nerve wracking for the 24 hours beforehand: once we actually got there, about 2 hours before lift off, it was fine.

I wasn't expecting to find an audience, but was aware all the time of people clapping and sometimes dancing, so I was playing a few things like Pugwash on the spur of the moment. That one worked because I could hear a voice quite close saying "Captain Pugwash" in a sort of surprised recognition. It did mean that the planned repertoire went out of the window a bit.

Plenty more tunes to play like Rodney's Glory, which I really like, but I ran out of time - particularly when the dancers got going. It was a really good feeling playing high up like that - I wonder if there are any other plinths or pedestals available. I could even become the first concertina-playing stylite!

The only slight worry on the night was that the concertina occasionally felt as if it was slipping off my lap - a weird, and completely false, illusion caused when I looked downwards and the ground wasn't all there. Though that wasn't the only reason for the odd bum note.

We've got just got home so I haven't been able to contact you all before, but all your ideas and the immediate support made it much easier to complete this little project and I am really, really grateful. As one of the other plinthers has already said: I haven't quite come down to earth yet!

Dave

Well done, Dave. That was brilliant! I really enjoyed your repertoire from start to finish. I noticed that you opened with a tune I suggested, News of the Victory/Tars of the Victory. Nice. And managed to find a number of other appropriate Nelson/Trafalgar related tunes/hornpipes, etc, to play. And all on the EC, too.

Chris

Chris

News of the Victory - another great jig. Great fun to play - although I was all over the shop with it at the start on the night. Which collection, or player, does it come from? Thanks again for showing me this tune, it will certainly stay in my repertoire.

Cheers, Dave

Well done, Dave. That was brilliant! I really enjoyed your repertoire from start to finish. I noticed that you opened with a tune I suggested, News of the Victory/Tars of the Victory. Nice. And managed to find a number of other appropriate Nelson/Trafalgar related tunes/hornpipes, etc, to play. And all on the EC, too.

Chris

Chris

News of the Victory - another great jig. Great fun to play - although I was all over the shop with it at the start on the night. Which collection, or player, does it come from? Thanks again for showing me this tune, it will certainly stay in my repertoire.

Cheers, Dave

I just thought you were playing a different set of variations :-)

Great stuff!

Chris J

Chris

Chris

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave

Yes, I thought your version sounded a 'bit different' to the one I have learned. But you made a jolly good stab at it and soon redeemed yourself when you went on to play the rest of your repertoire. You appear to be a good sight reader too and the EC is ideal for that. Below is a version of Tars of the Victory with source information included for you and anyone else who is interested.

X: 1

T:Tars of the Victory,The. RH.019

R:Jig

S:Rev.R.Harrison's MS,c1815,Cumbria

N:Nelson was given command in the Mediteranean in 1803, and his

N:flagship was the Victory, in which he died in 1805 at the

N:Battle of Trafalgar..CGP

O:England

A:Temple Sowerby,Cumbria

M:6/8

L:1/8

Q:3/8=120

K:D

b|a^ga aga|d'2d d2f|efg ABc|dfa a2a|\

a^ga aga|d'2d def|efg ABc|d2f d2:|!

|:D'|c'ba a2e|fga d2f|efg ABc|dfa a2d'|\

c'ba a2g|fga def|efg ABc|dfa d2:|]

Chris

Thanks so much everybody for all your suggestions. I had a great time - if very nerve wracking for the 24 hours beforehand: once we actually got there, about 2 hours before lift off, it was fine.

I wasn't expecting to find an audience, but was aware all the time of people clapping and sometimes dancing, so I was playing a few things like Pugwash on the spur of the moment. That one worked because I could hear a voice quite close saying "Captain Pugwash" in a sort of surprised recognition. It did mean that the planned repertoire went out of the window a bit.

Plenty more tunes to play like Rodney's Glory, which I really like, but I ran out of time - particularly when the dancers got going. It was a really good feeling playing high up like that - I wonder if there are any other plinths or pedestals available. I could even become the first concertina-playing stylite!

The only slight worry on the night was that the concertina occasionally felt as if it was slipping off my lap - a weird, and completely false, illusion caused when I looked downwards and the ground wasn't all there. Though that wasn't the only reason for the odd bum note.

We've got just got home so I haven't been able to contact you all before, but all your ideas and the immediate support made it much easier to complete this little project and I am really, really grateful. As one of the other plinthers has already said: I haven't quite come down to earth yet!

Dave

It was so good that I see there are already musical derivatives of your plinth peformance appearing and you have been turned into a conductor even!

Not had a chance to watch / listen all the way through yet, but well done, really good stuff.

I'll probably grab the audio off the website over the weekend so I can 'listen again' in the car.

What a pleasant hour that was. Well done. It would be neat to issue the "Music from a plinth" tunebook with MP3's of your performance, and ABC's to go along with. There's a few tunes you played I'd love to learn.

Simon

Hi Dave

Glad it went OK congratulations. Where was it broadcast and is it still available?

Yours

Mike

I just finished watching it about an hour ago, at http://www.oneandother.co.uk/participants/Dave_Ball. Lovely stuff and some tunes I didn't know that I intend to acquire forthwith!

Thanks for that Steve, great stuff

Mike