forgotten wot toon this is-- but I member it's a Jeffries,

Kautilya

Just stumbled across this thread. I would suggest that the first fragment of tune is the back end of "Room for the Cuckoo" (Wheatley). Chas

Indeed, it is! Mystery solved. See #7 on this page.

Never met it before.

I have often enjoyed Hexham Morris dancing this one. JK also plays a glorious version on the "Boxing Clever" compilation CD. Chas

Just stumbled across this thread. I would suggest that the first fragment of tune is the back end of "Room for the Cuckoo" (Wheatley). Chas

Never met it before.

I have often enjoyed Hexham Morris dancing this one. JK also plays a glorious version on the "Boxing Clever" compilation CD. Chas

Oh, well, then I guess I HAVE met it. I bought "Boxing Clever" at the Northeast Squeeze-In the year it was released because I liked the cover art (a line drawing of a concertina identical to mine). I haven't seen or heard it in years. Just had a cursory search and it's not in any of the usual places.

boxingclever_9904.jpg

................Just to back up a bit.

Steve said "as has already been mentioned it is traditionally performed to the Appalacian tune Maud Karpeles put to it. "

All I've ever been able to find out was that Ms.Karpeles collected the tune in Massachusetts. Any info to suggest it is a tune from that area ?

Robin

Steve said "as has already been mentioned it is traditionally performed to the Appalacian tune Maud Karpeles put to it. "

All I've ever been able to find out was that Ms.Karpeles collected the tune in Massachusetts. Any info to suggest it is a tune from that area ?

Robin

From what I gather reading the sources cited earlier, she collected it in Vermont, not Massachusetts. Neither is anywhere near the Appalachians. But who knows? Maybe her source said it was an Appalachian tune...

Never met it before.

Very different to the Bucknell tune I know and it has a slightly different title.

X:28

T:Room For The Cuckolds (Bucknell)

M:6/8

L:1/8

Q:110

A:Bucknell

P:A(AB)3A

K:Gmaj

P:A

|:GAG D2D|E2e dBG|GAG D2D|E2F G3:|

P:B

|:B2G B2G|BGB A3 |BAG DEF|DEF G3:|

Never met it before.

Very different to the Bucknell tune I know and it has a slightly different title.

X:28

T:Room For The Cuckolds (Bucknell)...

This is getting more and more embarrassing. This tune I know well. We used to do Bucknell, and I played the tune for two different dances, "Room For The Cuckolds" and "Rabbits in Australia." The other tune ("Room for the Cuckoo") is indeed different, but not so different that I shouldn't have recognized it as a variant, even before the name was revealed.

Steve said "as has already been mentioned it is traditionally performed to the Appalachian tune Maud Karpeles put to it. "

Robin

From what I gather reading the sources cited earlier, she collected it in Vermont, not Massachusetts. Neither is anywhere near the Appalachians. But who knows? Maybe her source said it was an Appalachian tune...

Well, not quite: the range runs from Maine to Georgia--the Berkshires in Massachusetts and the Green Mountains in Vermont are both part of the Appalachian chain. It's true that neither Massachusetts nor Vermont is anywhere near the area generally understood to be Appalachia (WV, western VA, eastern NC, western TN and KY), though.

jdms (nitpicker extraordinaire)