Wanted: a SMOOTH English Jig

Jim Besser

And here's another new-ish jig, c. 1982, that might work as well.

Great tune! I hope you don't mind but here's the abc file for it.

Pete.

X:74

T:Christine's Favorite

M:6/8

L:1/8

C:Gary Coover

Q:3/8=110

Z:Peter Dunk, Oct 2011

K:D

AG |:"D" FEF DFA | dfe dAG | FAd "G"Bed | "A"cBc A2 G |

"5""D" FEF DFA | dfe dAG | "G"gfe "D"fed |1"A"Aec "D"dAG :|2"A"Aec "D"dde |

"10""D" |:fdd "A"ecc | "D" dAG FGA | "G"Bgg gfe | "A" dec Ace |

"14""D"fdd "A"ecc | "D"dAG FGA | "G"Bgf efd |1 "A"Aec "D"dde :|2 "A"Aec "D"dzz |]

Thanks so much, Pete, very cool! Do you have a program that converts to abc?

Gary

I havn't played the Gatwick Express for a while now ,must get it back into my brain.

The link to The Old Smithy seems to be OK , my original posting was wrong so that may have been the problem (small K instead of large one)so much to learn.

Al :blink:

Thanks.

Gatwick is great; I can play it at 180 beats or so, which is what the rappers want, without dropping notes. A rare jig that works well on concertina at those blinding speeds.

And it's English. It's always bothered me that an English ritual dance form is almost always danced to Irish tunes, at least on this side of the pond. Not that I have anything against Irish tunes; it's just, if you're doing English ritual dancing, use English tunes!

jb

So, where can we find a recording or dots for "Gatwick Express"? Always up for a good new tune!

Gary

Here is my original recording Gary.

The Gatwick Express runs every half an hour (weather permitting) from Gatwick to London Victoria Railway Stations and in the opposite direction.I was travelling on it when I thought up this tune.

Al :)

I'm probably just muddying the waters but another good jig that lends itself to great speed without any emphasis on anything is the Valentine. Once again ignore the slows and arrange the A and B parts to suit.

X:14

T:Valentine (Fieldtown)

O:English

Q:3/8=100

R:Jig

P:A.(AB3)2.(AC3)2.A

K:G

P:A

d | gfe ede | edc cBc | dBg dBG | FAA A2 d |

gfe ede | edc cBc | dBG DAF | GAG G2 ||

P:B

B/2c/2 | ded dBd | BGG G2 A/2B/2 | cAc BGB | FAA A2 B/2c/2 |

ded dBd | BGG G2 d | efg d2 c | BGG G2 ||

P:C

B/2c/2 | ded dBd | BGG G2 A/2B/2 | cAc BGB | FAA A2 B/2c/2 |

M:4/4

L:1/4

"SLOWS"d e d2 | d B d2 | B G G F |\

L:1/8

"R.O.T."G3-G2 d |efg d2 c| BGG G2 ||

Gary

I don't think there is any software that will convert to abc from notation, I just transcribed it by flipping between your dots and ABC Explorer and typing it out. I'm getting quite quick at it now and make far fewer mistakes than I used to. B)

I'm probably just muddying the waters but another good jig that lends itself to great speed without any emphasis on anything is the Valentine. Once again ignore the slows and arrange the A and B parts to suit.

Valentine is a great tune; I've played it for Fieldtown dancers. Might work!

Guest mglamb

Gary

I don't think there is any software that will convert to abc from notation, I just transcribed it by flipping between your dots and ABC Explorer and typing it out. I'm getting quite quick at it now and make far fewer mistakes than I used to. B)

I've used Melody Assistant for years - it imports from and exports to a large variety of formats, including ABC:

http://www.myriad-on...ucts/melody.htm

I've used Melody Assistant for years - it imports from and exports to a large variety of formats, including ABC:

I'll take another long look at Melody Assistant but I've been there before and got confused by all of the sister programs and trying to decide which would be best for me. I resent paying for software too unless there's a clear cut reason for doing so, many commercial packages are stuffed with features I'll never use and I really don't want to pay for R&D that's of no benefit to me.