On Sally Army Concertinas Vs Prayer Wheels

We've had several discussions of Salvation Army bands on this forum, and their use of concertinas. Here are two good links showing how rowdy some of these occasions were (at least as observed by the prim and proper press of the time), and describing the extent of concertina use. Both are from the archives of the Brooklyn Eagle. The links use GIF files; hope that works for you.

The first, from 1897, compares (unfavorably) the fervent playing of unending hymns on concertina by an officer in a prayer meeting to use of Buddhist praying wheels. Reminded me of Rhomylly's recent troubles in New Mexico (reported by her on the Forum) using her concertina for meditation. Rhomylly, are you this rowdy? :lol:

http://eagle.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/Def...=2&ViewMode=GIF

The second is a report of a huge fire-and-brimstone meeting in Brooklyn that was front page news in 1888, where Booth's son sang with concertina. All I see of the Sally Army today is when I donate used stuff, or they are doing (wonderful) disaster relief. These guys were fire-breathers back then...and were playing concertina as one of their chief instruments. I thought some of you might enjoy the period account, and Booths wild sermony.

http://eagle.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/Def...00102&AppName=2

Still looking at anglo history in America.....

Cheers,

Dan

Edited to say it was founder Booth's son, not grandson....

Edited by Dan Worrall

The first, from 1897, compares (unfavorably) the fervent playing of unending hymns on concertina by an officer in a prayer meeting to use of Buddhist praying wheels. Reminded me of Rhomylly's recent troubles in New Mexico (reported by her on the Forum) using her concertina for meditation. Rhomylly, are you this rowdy? :lol:

Only when people write bad articles about me damning me to hell!

Only when people write bad articles about me damning me to hell!

Rhomylly,

Roger that!! :)

Interesting how these 1800's Sally Army folk were passionately trying to do good ....fervently trying to save souls in the worst New York slums from drink and perdition using their concertinas and voices....and the newspaper reporter wasn't having any of it. Neither, it seems, were the neighbors! Then as now, concertinists get little respect....

In a similar but much lighter vein, check out this little concertina gem, from the same paper in 1894:

Looking forward to seeing you and all the others at the Palestine workshop!

Dan

I think the ed was a miserable sod; the record breaking rapid hymn session sounds a complete hoot and I bet the audience (everyone indeed, except the reporter) had a splendid time.

Dan, In 1890 the city of Los Angeles tried to outlaw the "Salvationists," as they were called, from performing on city streets. The attempt failed in the courts. The writer of the article I reference called them "unmusical tramps." He went on to say that the concertina was worked so violently that it drowned out the horn. From the Los Angeles Times April 27, 1890. Mike