Connor Concertinas - models and reeding

Hi, I just had a look inside an old (I'd guess 80s or early 90s) Connor Anglo. I was expecting salvaged reeds, but they are pretty obviously a "new" set in aluminium shoes. In fact the whole box has a very Crabb like feel to it - bellows construction etc, and I know that Connor learned at least some of his trade with Crabb.

What I wondered is what makes the difference between a standard and a special? This has fancier endplates to the standard shown on the hobgoblin site, but not is not as flashily appointed as his Jeffries copies.

Do you think the reeds were made for this box, reshoed or soemthing else entirely i.e. perhaps "new old stock" from Crabb or something... any experts out there? Any feelings on the quality of Connor's own reeds?

Edited by gavdav

• 3 months later...

Hi gavdav.

I wouldn't necessarily assume aluminium reed carriers means new/replacement reeds. I believe early use of alloy/aluminium reed carriers goes right back to the early 1900s. See separate thread I've just started on this...

Cheers, Dave Thomas,

near Findhorn, near Inverness, Scotland

Hi, I just had a look inside an old (I'd guess 80s or early 90s) Connor Anglo. I was expecting salvaged reeds, but they are pretty obviously a "new" set in aluminium shoes. In fact the whole box has a very Crabb like feel to it - bellows construction etc, and I know that Connor learned at least some of his trade with Crabb.

What I wondered is what makes the difference between a standard and a special? This has fancier endplates to the standard shown on the hobgoblin site, but not is not as flashily appointed as his Jeffries copies.

Do you think the reeds were made for this box, reshoed or soemthing else entirely i.e. perhaps "new old stock" from Crabb or something... any experts out there? Any feelings on the quality of Connor's own reeds?

Aside from the question on the quality of Connor's reeds, these are questions which, if I had them, would prompt me to try to contact Connor himself and get the answers "from the horse's mouth".

Would this have been better in the general forum?

I think not. It's about details of construction associated with a single maker.

I wouldn't necessarily assume aluminium reed carriers means new/replacement reeds. I believe early use of alloy/aluminium reed carriers goes right back to the early 1900s. See separate thread I've just started on this...

On the other hand, if it's an instrument made by Connor with new reeds (I doubt very much that an instrument whose maker is still alive would need to have all its reeds replaced), I would first suspect that he made the reeds himself. Though I suppose it's possible, I haven't yet heard that anyone in that period was selling sets of reeds to other makers, either newly made or "old stock".

I don't know the difference between a Connor Standard and Special beyond what I can see on that page on the Hobgoblin site showing a Standard and a "Jeffries copy". But it's my impression that both of these models are made with Connor's own reeds, as distinct from his salvaged-reed models, described on the Barleycorn site as follows: "John Connor rebuilds which are exclusive to Barleycorn. Connor takes vintage reeds which we supply and produces a totally new 30 key Anglo concertina which we sell - with case - for £2500."

I own Connor anglo with salvaged Lachenal reeds (bought from Barlaycone). And had a chance to play my friend's Connor standard in hand.

The fretworks are the same except for the fact that Barleycone one doesn't have Connor label. The ends finish of Connor standard seems to be in better quality.

I once saw the inside photo of friend’s Connor, and I too think they have Connor's own reed with alminium shoes -- only one reed had brass shoe so this particular reed might be salvaged one.

Cheers,

--

Taka

I don't know the difference between a Connor Standard and Special beyond what I can see on that page on the Hobgoblin site showing a Standard and a "Jeffries copy". But it's my impression that both of these models are made with Connor's own reeds, as distinct from his salvaged-reed models, described on the Barleycorn site as follows: "John Connor rebuilds which are exclusive to Barleycorn. Connor takes vintage reeds which we supply and produces a totally new 30 key Anglo concertina which we sell - with case - for £2500."

• 1 year later...

I've had the good fortune of squeezing two of John's "Connor" instruments.

One had brass reeds and the other, alloy ones - there was definitely a difference in weight...

I believe he handcrafts the reeds himself and files them.

Beautiful workmanship, right down to the hexagonal case.