Documentary "playing The Concertina" On Dvd

pauline de snoo

Pilgrimm Pictures has just released a documentary on DVD, directed by Bernd G.W. Out which is titled "Playing the concertina". Bernd is a professional filmmaker who has produced with this DVD a documentary of outstanding quality which in a shorter version will be televised in a not too distant future.

This 80 minutes version contains extensive interviews with Douglas Rogers, Steve Dickinson of Wheatstone in his workshop, visits to the Horniman Museum, historic sites in London, impressions of Dave Townsend's concertinaweekend "Hands on Music", Pauline's preparations for and part of a concert, Pietro Valente, a lot of music and more.

For a preview visit www.concertina-academy.com

Pilgrimm Pictures has just released a documentary on DVD, directed by Bernd G.W. Out which is titled "Playing the concertina".

For a preview visit www.concertina-academy.com

I have watched the preview, and find it fascinating. The DVD looks to be an excellent tool to expose the concertina to others who may simply enjoy classical music, as well as for we who already know and love the instrument.

Also, I was very impressed with Pauline's 'Concertina Academy' website. This is a serious treasure - you must go and look it over. www.concertina-academy.com

From previous exposure to Pauline's tutor for English, and for Anglo, I know she is methodical in her instruction, and serious about helping students to make credible advances in their playing.

I am looking forward to seeing the DVD.

Del Blackketter

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone has to start somewhere. Myself, I’m just getting started with learning to play the concertina and actually I’m still struggling with even the basics of scales and fingering. I came to the idea of playing the concertina quite by accident. In fact, truth be told, it started out merely as an indulgent and perhaps even romantic whim. Something I think I caught from seeing someone play one in Ireland this past summer. It remains to be seen whether my recently purchased 120-ish year-old Cramer & Co. Artist’s Concertina will end up as the realization of a life long dream (to learn to play a musical instrument) or another one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time. The verdict so far: what a great instrument and equally a great set of people whom I’ve met associated with the concertina. I suppose most of you already knew that. But in case you didn’t, you might like to check out a great DVD I’ve had the pleasure of watching recently. In fact I’ve watched it twice so far.

'Playing the concertina' is a new DVD from Pilgrimm Pictures that chronicles both the instrument and the player Pauline de Snoo. This documentary takes you on a journey of discovery where you’ll explore many aspects of playing the concertina as experienced by Pauline de Snoo. The director, Bernd G.W. Out has given a real “old time home movie” feel to this visually charming 80 minute DVD. Part history lesson, part nostalgic ramblings, but in essence an interesting tour of the versatility and potential of the concertina in the hands of Pauline de Snoo. I especially enjoyed listening to the lovely music and hearing stories about the development of the concertina and its impact on the lives of the many fascinating people that appear in this DVD. I kept finding myself reaching for my own concertina and imagining myself playing. Oh for that first tune that unites me with my concertina. In the mean time, watching 'Playing the concertina' has been a great introduction as well as being a fantastic motivational piece that I’m sure to return to time and again.

--- Christian

Edited by CjD

• 2 weeks later...

I am a total beginner - starting to learn on a Jackie that arrived a couple of weeks ago.

I ordered the DVD 'Playing the Concertina' and it arrived today - it is excellent and I can highly recommend it. :) :) I would imagine experienced players would gain more from it than I can at my very early stage of learning, but neverthless I found it to be very interesting, informative and most enjoyable. I particularly liked the format - the 'journey' of Pauline taking the viewer to a variety of historic venues and meeting legends in the concertina world.

• 3 weeks later...