Tune Of The Month, Jan. 2015: Halsway Carol Schottische

Jim Besser

Here's a go on Anglo, with some backing tracks. I tried it on both my concertinas, and found that I much preferred it on the old (1890?) Lachenal. Maybe the noisier action evokes a hurdy-gurdy.

As for its being "the ultimate international melody," I can't even begin to wrap my head around what that might mean; unless I've been misusing both those adjectives all my life, the claim is as opaque as a Zen koan to me. But I did play it in my own way, since despite my best efforts I couldn't figure out how to do otherwise.

The tune doesn't need all that hyperbole, anyway: it stands perfectly well on its own.

http://youtu.be/qzocGlg2hmM

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Hmmm. I think I was trying to be too cute here.

Interesting Anglo fingering to smooth out the first phrase of the A part.

Played on a 30 button Jeffries G/D Anglo.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68325595/C.net%20Tune%20of%20the%20Month/Halsway_TOTM_Besser.MP3

Two interesting and contrasting interpretations of the tune. Edited by Tootler

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever, I'm not too impressed so far, which may be accounted for by my general indifference to the genre of Schottische, but I might as well get hooked at some point as it had happened to me be before :)

Best wishes for 2015 - Wolf

Wolf I'm shocked! Does this help? I'm sure it will make you aware of the beauty of the tune! Best wishes to you and yours for the coming year. :)

Halsway Carol

Pete, sorry to have caused a shock through my reckless posting... :o

Thank you for pointing towards that charming version which is in fact helpful...! As soon as I'll have recovered from that mean common cold I'll see what I can make of it...

Thank you as well for the good wishes, the same to you and your familiy!

Best - Wolf

Hmmm. I think I was trying to be too cute here.

Interesting Anglo fingering to smooth out the first phrase of the A part.

Played on a 30 button Jeffries G/D Anglo.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68325595/C.net%20Tune%20of%20the%20Month/Halsway_TOTM_Besser.MP3

Sounds a bit like Glen Gould playing Mozart... B)

However, a delicate light touch to the instrument Jim, a pleasure to listen to...

Best wishes - Wolf

So I reckon bats are widely known as self-critical and humorous blokes in England and thus take your comment as a compliment... B)

You take it in the right spirit, Wolf. Calling someone a "daft bat" is an affectionate way of telling them they're being a little bit silly.

So I reckon bats are widely known as self-critical and humorous blokes in England and thus take your comment as a compliment... B)

You take it in the right spirit, Wolf. Calling someone a "daft bat" is an affectionate way of telling them they're being a little bit silly.

Thanks for approving my understanding and responding, Geoff!

Now might someone call Pete (whilst I'll go over to rehearsing the tune)... :D

Here's my effort. Somewhat Rough around the edges, I'm afraid.

I've slowed it down but not as much as I intended.

Multi track with ukulele, tenor & soprano recorders. The pictures in the video are from near my home. I took them a few years back when we had a bad winter.

Edit: Forgot to add the link.

Edited by Tootler

Multi track with ukulele, tenor & soprano recorders. The pictures in the video are from near my home. I took them a few years back when we had a bad winter.

Very pretty. I like these multitracked submissions - beyond my technological abilities, for sure.

Hi Geoff, although the entering the B sections in the first run sounds indeed a bit rough in terms of rhythm resp. (shortly lost) beat to my ears everything really falls into place with the second run - and the blending of concertina and recorder gives it a really nice, in fact sort of wintery feell - enjoyed listening and watching!

Best - Wolf

Very pretty. I like these multitracked submissions - beyond my technological abilities, for sure.

Hi Geoff, although the entering the B sections in the first run sounds indeed a bit rough in terms of rhythm resp. (shortly lost) beat to my ears everything really falls into place with the second run - and the blending of concertina and recorder gives it a really nice, in fact sort of wintery feell - enjoyed listening and watching!

Best - Wolf

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

I agree the rhythm is a bit off in places. I had done several takes and each time made a mistake in a different place so I decided to just go with what I had and live with the imperfections. It did cause a few problems when adding the other instruments but I wasn't too displeased with the overall effect but I am aware It really needs redoing at some time.

I got some positive feedback from Nigel Eaton on You Tube which was encouraging.

I had a listen to yours Wolf and it sounded very good. Good use of harmonies - not too full so the melody always comes through.

I agree the rhythm is a bit off in places. I had done several takes and each time made a mistake in a different place so I decided to just go with what I had and live with the imperfections. It did cause a few problems when adding the other instruments but I wasn't too displeased with the overall effect but I am aware It really needs redoing at some time.

That's perfectly o.k., other than that I'd hardly have posted anything...! And as said, you produced a really appealing track which we otherwise wouldn't be able to listen to...

I got some positive feedback from Nigel Eaton on You Tube which was encouraging.

Great!

I had a listen to yours Wolf and it sounded very good. Good use of harmonies - not too full so the melody always comes through.

Thanks a lot Geoff - that's very valuable feedback as with my style of EC playing I'm naturally at risk of drowning the melody. Since I'm really working on that point it's good to learn that this has got me some results by now!