New here :)

Gaueko

Hello to all the people in the forum!

First of all please sorry my bad english :P Hope it will be understandable...

I'm a girl from the Basque Country, in northern Spain. I love folk music since... always and I know playing some instruments like the "txistu" (3-hoole flute with a drum accompaniment), the "alboka" (horn made pipe without bag)and just learning playing violin.

Few days ago I discovered the "concertinas" and really like them. Now I'm looking for buying second-hand anglo concertina, but it's quite difficult where I live to find them... :S

Meanwhile I'm here to learn more about this instrument and maybe I find my concertina too :)

I have a lot of information to read here, I'll take it easy... haha

Thanks for reading me!

Hello to all the people in the forum!

First of all please sorry my bad english :P Hope it will be understandable...

I'm a girl from the Basque Country, in northern Spain. I love folk music since... always and I know playing some instruments like the "txistu" (3-hoole flute with a drum accompaniment), the "alboka" (horn made pipe without bag)and just learning playing violin.

Few days ago I discovered the "concertinas" and really like them. Now I'm looking for buying second-hand anglo concertina, but it's quite difficult where I live to find them... :S

Meanwhile I'm here to learn more about this instrument and maybe I find my concertina too :)

I have a lot of information to read here, I'll take it easy... haha

Thanks for reading me!

Welcome to the forum, Gaueko. I wish you luck with your search for a concertina. You will find lots of advice here by searching previous posts and conversations. Try searching the forums with a word like "beginner" or if you are trying to figure out which kind of concertina you would like to play you could search for "Anglo English duet decide" and that will bring up many informative discussions. Or just browse.

In the meantime, could you help me with a Basque tune I have been working on called "Vuelta de la Romería" which I think might be translated into English as... Return of the Village Procession. I have seen some youtubes of Basque people processing down roads, drinking and laughing but I do not understand the meaning of this. I really like the tune though and want to hear more like it. Can you tell me a web site where I can learn more tunes like "Vuelta de la Romería"?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

I think I'll prefer anglo one, but I'll read more from the forum info.

About "Vuelta de romería" song... wow, it's a little bit strange for me meet people who is interested in basque music but I´m so glad about it :D

Ok, let's see if I can explain about what is a "romería" in basque country: Time ago village people went to hermitages celebrating any saint. That trip was made with music and dances, drinking, singing... Nowaday most of the people go to "romeria" just to party :P

"Biribilketa" is a kind of song what is played for hand-chain dance.

I think there are so many basque tunes able to play with concertina, because here it's very used the "trikitixa", a diatonic accordion. I usually gets my scores from my music school, we mostly play basque folk so maybe I can ask for some of them and upload gere if you want. What I have are for "alboka" and violin (don't know where I've put "txistu" scores XD), maybe they work for concertina?? don't know...

Here you have some scores but if you only need tune names to find in youtube and play them just listening say to me and I'll tell you some names.

https://sites.google.com/site/elacordeondiatonico/partituras (down where it says "Euskadi")

"Arin-arin", "jota" and "fandango" are kind of dances, "biribilketa" and "kalejira" are more or less the same, "kalejira" means "walk down the street" haha

Hope I have been helpful (and not so chaotic XD)

Thanks for the welcome! :)

I think I'll prefer anglo one, but I'll read more from the forum info.

About "Vuelta de romería" song... wow, it's a little bit strange for me meet people who is interested in basque music but I´m so glad about it :D

Ok, let's see if I can explain about what is a "romería" in basque country: Time ago village people went to hermitages celebrating any saint. That trip was made with music and dances, drinking, singing... Nowaday most of the people go to "romeria" just to party :P

"Biribilketa" is a kind of song what is played for hand-chain dance.

I think there are so many basque tunes able to play with concertina, because here it's very used the "trikitixa", a diatonic accordion. I usually gets my scores from my music school, we mostly play basque folk so maybe I can ask for some of them and upload gere if you want. What I have are for "alboka" and violin (don't know where I've put "txistu" scores XD), maybe they work for concertina?? don't know...

Here you have some scores but if you only need tune names to find in youtube and play them just listening say to me and I'll tell you some names.

https://sites.google.com/site/elacordeondiatonico/partituras (down where it says "Euskadi")

"Arin-arin", "jota" and "fandango" are kind of dances, "biribilketa" and "kalejira" are more or less the same, "kalejira" means "walk down the street" haha

Hope I have been helpful (and not so chaotic XD)

Hi Gaueko, WOW! what a resource. I love this site with both pdf and midi scores and the origin and dance type so clearly indicated. Thank you for that link. How would you pronounce "trikitixa"... like this? (in English phonetics) treh-ki-ti-ya?

"txistu"?

"alboka"?

What are these?

Also, there are so many tunes on the site you linked above. Do you have any favorites that you think I would enjoy? if you give me some names of tunes that you think I would enjoy then I will look at them first.

Again, thank you for the link and your help.

Hi,

Gaueko, welcome to this forum. There are some Spanish players here on the forum too - try searching for 'Basque' or 'Spain'.

And, as you'll find out, a thread here often gets hijacked. So... here's one for Jody Kruskal too:

I do not have a suggestion for any particular tune, but may I suggest the trikitixa player Kepa Junkera? His album Bilbao 00:00h is a long time favorite of mine. He and other trikitixa players, both young and old, abund on youtube. You could spend hours and hours there...

Kepa Junkera:

And, more or less random, two charming young musicians playing outdoors:

Cheers,

Mark

Jody: I'm glad you like the site. I'm going to look for more basque traditional music, I admit that I don't know any of them haha

- Txistu ( in English phonetic maybe "cheestoo"? haha) --> 3-hole flute usually played with a drumm called "danboril"

That tune name is "Axuri Beltza" (I was used to dance basque-dances when I was a child.

- Alboka ( in English phonetic maybe "albokah"?...) --> Kind of horn-pipe

, usually (and in the video) is acompained with a "pandero" (tambourine). As I see in the video the man who makes that alboka is the same who mades mine! haha

- Trikitixa (maybe better "tree-ki-ti-sha") -->

Fandango, jota, arin-arin, zortziko, porrusalda (that's also a meal! XD)... are kind of dances, more or less like irish reels, jigs, hornpipes... I don't remember well their different rhythms, want to take a look to theory haha

About basque tunes I like, for example I use to play songs from Ibon Koteron with alboka. Also you can found a lot of traditional basque tunes by Leon and Maurizia (the where two elderly from a farmhouse long dead but with some scores and audios left behind). Also some time ago group -->

A tune with some international fame maybe is this one -->

I never remember names but if you put in youtube or in google for example "fandango", "arin-arin", "trikitixa"... you'll find a lot of tunes (and most of them are called "Fandango 1", "Fandando 2"... so by name is quite difficult maybe)

And depending where music is a little different, for example in Basque Country near France -->

MarkvN: Thanks for welcoming :D Kepa Junkera is a BEAST playing trikitixa jaja I love his music too and the disc "Bilbao 00:00" is great. I recommend any of his music. And I will look for people from Basque Country or Spain in the forum, thank you! :)

Alex West: I think I listen to any song from this album but I'm not sure, want to take a "look" anyway :P Ibon Koteron is a great musician, many of the tunes I play with the alboka are his.

Long speech mine XD

If anyone need more help, info or whatever about Basque culture, music, dances... I'm very glad to talk about what I know :)