Choosing A Concertina: 20 Or 30 Buttons?

Hi ,

I hope you can give me some advise.

Im new to the concertina. I've been playing an Anglo c/g for about a year now.

I play by Numbers using Dave Mallysons book and am taking lessons to learn to read music. I do not know of any other concertina players in my area.

A number of tunes I can play by memorizing the buttons.

If a were to buy a concertina in d/g, can I still use the same book and press buttons on the same place? Only the scale changes right? The button positions wont change, will they?

Am I making any sense ?

Regards

Yes.

There are sometimes slight differences in the layout of the accidental row on a 30, but the core layout is the same. I own C/G, G/D and Bb/F Anglos and just transfer tunes from one to the other. If I change from 30 to 20, or 37 to 30, I sometimes have to make small adjustments to the fingering, but this is nothing to do with the change of key.

Unfortunately, in this neck of the woods a concertina is as hard to find as a polar bear, so I have to rely on recordings.

I do not know of any other concertina players in my area.

If you two would tell us where you're located (it seems that the profile no longer gathers that fact), we might be able to find other concertina players near you. Not a guarantee, but not necessarily impossible, either.