Concertinas For Beginners

I have played an anglo and harmonica in a rack simultaneously in a public performance a few times. "Red River Valley" on a C/G box, and a C harmonica in a rack. Initially the idea was to give some variety to the performance ( I play in a duo with a citern player) by alternating between the 2, with the harmonica in the rack to save me from fumbling for it half-way through the song, but I tried both at once and it was surprisingly easy. I'll do chords on one, melody on the other/ melody in unison/harmonies, octaves, etc.

It reminded me that when I started to play anglo a few years ago I was already a life-long harmonica player, and I would find myself hyperventilating along with the bellows!

Edited by Bill N

Yes indeed!

Like I said, you can do almost anything if you practise enough, and this lad has obviusly done that. Probably very talented, too!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

John

BTW, I think I recognised the Stagi logo on the concertina. so not a Chinese.

Edited by Anglo-Irishman

BTW, I think I recognised the Stagi logo on the concertina. so not a Chinese.

Yes, I see that, but it still looks like a re-badged Chinese box to me. I have one just like it.

Anyway, here is the same guy a few years later playing Sunday's Well, one of my favourite tunes.

His Youtube channel is well worth scanning, quite a remarkable young man.

Well, now that I've seen that young star, I guess I'll play the mandolin.....

Wow!

But, I still await someone who can sing and play the harmonica at the same time....

David

He plays mandolin and bouzouki too...

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSV1GuWlyWQthe concertina comes in about halfway through.

Well, at least he’s got himself a better concertina in the last 4 years. Following his link to the session.org reveals his name and some biographical information.

Tijn Berends

Climate scientist slash musician from the Netherlands. Started playing the harmonica around 2007. Picked up the guitar a year later, bouzouki and concertina around 2010.
Right now I play in the band "Four of a Kind", duo "Itchy Fingers" and duo "Sessioneers". I also organise the session in O’Leary’s Pub in Utrecht.

Quite talented.